diy solar

diy solar

SE XW+6848 VS SMA Sunny Island 6048 - Grid connected, battery backup and excess sell to grid

jgilly69

I am in a very conflicted dilemma. So I have both of these inverters and can proceed with either one? BUT I am torn as the best approach for my system, which can change like the river flows down hill.

I own a Sunverge Cabinet, it has a SE XW+6848, a Sun verge control etc. and KOKAM 11.6kwh of lithium-ion batteries. I don't want to use these batteries because when I bought the battery unit it was at a very very low charge voltage of just 1v on these NMC pouch cells. I have charged them cycled them a little, and waited out some discharge but so far after 6 months they are holding, no noticeable swelling. This is a super professional build and it turn key, so why would I use it since we are DIY! Here is a picture with some of it pulled down, for clarity. Also have the Conext gateway for battery coms. The Sunverge stuff probably would go and I would control it directly with the conext gateway. This unit was brand new and never used, but they blew the FET's on the inverter and I had it repaired.

I also own a DC Solar Trailer with (2) SMA Sunny islands 6048, 1080ah of FLA, 2Kw worth of solar all wired up ready to grid tie backup etc. I have used this several times since the California power outages have taken place. I can pull 60amps 240v AC all day long with this setup. I have planned on using my Lifepo4 bank to power this trailer and cabinet once finished.

Over the last year I have been building a power wall that will end up around with 29kwh or so of Lifepo4 cells. Mostly upcycled batteries and a few new ones. All using a Seplos BMS with CAN and RS485. Seplos will emulate a Pylontech battery BMS so I can connect to this via can for both the SMA and SE XW+.

What does the brain trust think? I am impartial either way.

Ohh side note I have a SolarEdge Grid tie system that would go into the approximate sides on the inverters. Max backup functions of the inverters would meet my loads, except AC which I would run on these either way.

Which one should I punt?

Thanks for any input!

Attachments

• IMG_3556.JPG
    IMG_3556.JPG
    281.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3555.JPG
    IMG_3555.JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 20
I am in a very conflicted dilemma. So I have both of these inverters and can proceed with either one? BUT I am torn as the best approach for my system, which can change like the river flows down hill.

I own a Sunverge Cabinet, it has a SE XW+6848, a Sun verge control etc. and KOKAM 11.6kwh of lithium-ion batteries. I don't want to use these batteries because when I bought the battery unit it was at a very very low charge voltage of just 1v on these NMC pouch cells. I have charged them cycled them a little, and waited out some discharge but so far after 6 months they are holding, no noticeable swelling. This is a super professional build and it turn key, so why would I use it since we are DIY! Here is a picture with some of it pulled down, for clarity. Also have the Conext gateway for battery coms. The Sunverge stuff probably would go and I would control it directly with the conext gateway. This unit was brand new and never used, but they blew the FET's on the inverter and I had it repaired.

I also own a DC Solar Trailer with (2) SMA Sunny islands 6048, 1080ah of FLA, 2Kw worth of solar all wired up ready to grid tie backup etc. I have used this several times since the California power outages have taken place. I can pull 60amps 240v AC all day long with this setup. I have planned on using my Lifepo4 bank to power this trailer and cabinet once finished.

Over the last year I have been building a power wall that will end up around with 29kwh or so of Lifepo4 cells. Mostly upcycled batteries and a few new ones. All using a Seplos BMS with CAN and RS485. Seplos will emulate a Pylontech battery BMS so I can connect to this via can for both the SMA and SE XW+.

What does the brain trust think? I am impartial either way.

Ohh side note I have a SolarEdge Grid tie system that would go into the approximate sides on the inverters. Max backup functions of the inverters would meet my loads, except AC which I would run on these either way.

Which one should I punt?

Thanks for any input!
I am interested in seeing if you get the communication working between the SMA Sunny Islands and the Selpos BMS. That would be cool.
As for which to choose, Sunny Island all day long. My current SMA's have been running every day for the last 13 years.

I am interested in seeing if you get the communication working between the SMA Sunny Islands and the Selpos BMS. That would be cool.
As for which to choose, Sunny Island all day long. My current SMA's have been running every day for the last 13 years.
Thanks for the input! I am a little worried about the control aspect of the SMA units. I think the battery integration will be pretty straight forward. But the Feed-in and trying to do any load shifting or power output is a little clunky with the SMA Units. We shall see! I am getting ready to hookup the SE XW+ for some battery testing.

Thanks for the input! I am a little worried about the control aspect of the SMA units. I think the battery integration will be pretty straight forward. But the Feed-in and trying to do any load shifting or power output is a little clunky with the SMA Units. We shall see! I am getting ready to hookup the SE XW+ for some battery testing.
Good luck!

Back