diy solar

diy solar

Sealed Inverter?

It should run those units without a problem. They draw a max of 9 watts according to the spec sheets for them, and the POE adaptor is rated to 10 watts.

12v would probably need the unit quite close to the point of power injection to avoid voltage drop. 50 metres of ethernet cable would, IMO, want a higher voltage.

I'll be mounting everything on a pole so shouldn't have too much distance to cover with ethernet cables. The idea is to provide power to these few items and also start looking at IoT sensors in the orchards.

It sounds like it would be a good idea to use a 24v battery bank (I'll be asking them to purchase LifePo4) and avoid having to use any 12v to 24v step up converters. A 24v battery bank at full charge would be something like 25.5v, so the POE adapter provided with the Ubiquity equipment should be able to handle that. On the other hand, a 24v lithium battery bank would be quite a bit more expensive than a 12v battery bank. The comment from Rider sounds valid too, so maybe I should research the best way to stabilize the voltage.

Those POE injectors you linked to would do the voltage stabilisation if you decided to use them.

Im surprised these are not being used.... all kinds of cool projects and micro systems. If you search the catagory of these type products, there are myriad off tye shelf solutions.

Absolutely a morningstar solar inverter and charge controller are awesome performers for harsh environment.

These are engineered and operate in outdoor enclosures wherever you need with a small footprint.

Remember PV started within the telecom industry.... Ma Bell, 1958-ish for boosting line signal across rural america....

The solutions are generaly long ago realized by these industries, just not for general consumption.....

Back