diy solar

diy solar

Seattle Solar Shed (~ planning/blue-print)

sunnysea

Hello there!

First this forum has been an amazing mine of information and I am so grateful for all I am learning here.

I built a small backyard shed this summer with the goal of making a small off grid solar system with it. I finally have a blueprint ready to share and could use some second opinions on it. I am sure I am missing a few things. I am especially not too sure about:
  • The grounding (and if grounding the negative battery terminal is fine), I still preemptively drove in the ground a 8ft grounding rod next to the shed (it's really far away from my home's grounding rod)

• All the wire gauge and fuse (although I used this post for help)
The solar array is already up on the roof (it was difficult to source some proper racking system locally but that's done). I confirmed with a multimeter I am getting the expected voltage and current. I ordered most of the components already outside of the fuses, wiring and inverter. I cannot max out the inverter with the battery I have, but that's alright. I only intend to run it when I need (and when it's sunny). It's also oversized a bit as it is still within budget. If I can keep the battery charged in the Seattle winter I'd actually be pretty happy already.

What I plan on doing with the system is described on the right side of the array (on the blue print). Mostly low voltage landscaping lighting. I went with 24v instead of 12v for the battery and hope it is not a mistake! It should be fine with the solar array but maybe not as efficient on cloudy days? I'll also likely need a buck converter or the like for driving a relay board (that I'll likely build myself).

Here is the blueprint and I attached the full PDF with clickable links:

183260522-1306352d-4966-4abc-a0e9-3a525b56f68f.png

Attachments

• Solar Shed Blueprint v2.pdf
    12.4 MB · Views: 5
Back