diy solar

diy solar

second life batterie from a vehicle for home storage

Thomas solar

I want to build a home storage for my solar system with a second life E vehicle like Tesla batterie 75 kwh, has anyone experience with that ?

A couple years ago it was popular. Nowadays you can get new prismatic cells for about the same price per kwh so it's not nearly as common. The only downside to prismatic cells is waiting on the long boat from China. I put together a 7 kwh bank with bms for less than 1k thanks to Michaels group buy.

That is interesting, do you have any buying adress ? I need 10 times that amount, which means : 75 kwh or more, and you can buy a used car battery from tesla for 10 k

That is interesting, do you have any buying adress ? I need 10 times that amount, which means : 75 kwh or more, and you can buy a used car battery from tesla for 10 k

Message Michael directly and ask him for a quote. He's help many many people in this forum purchase cells from China.

I want to build a home storage for my solar system with a second life E vehicle like Tesla batterie 75 kwh, has anyone experience with that ?
It still seems cost effective to me to purchase a Leaf battery pack. I found a 2015 with under 30K miles for less than $4000. I have only read of one fire due to a Leaf battery and they seem to take DIY abuse. They are rated ~30 Kwh).

Last edited:
It still seems cost effective to me to purchase a Leaf battery pack. I found a 2015 with under 30K miles for less than $4000. I have only read of one fire due to a Leaf battery and they seem to take DIY abuse. They are rated ~30 Kwh).
If you want to go to complicated route to save pennies on used cells get the car batteries. There's a reason why 99% of people nowadays building their own batteries are using new prismatic cells bc they're cheap. If it was a significant savings I would say go with the car batteries. When you're talking a few hundred dollars difference on a 30 KW hour battery I think you'd be foolish to go with car batteries. The only reason I personally would go with car batteries is if I couldn't wait for the slow boat to get here.

As someone who embarked on a DIY NMC battery before encountering this forum, and having access to 2nd life BEV/PHEV packs at a cost notably lower than the public, I would rather have gone with DIY LFP. I would have been done a long time ago. I'm still at it.

I would never consider Tesla modules as NCA is the most dangerous and most poorly configured option. 6S or 12S - both make suboptimal 24 or 48V systems.

Back