diy solar

diy solar

Second Opinion on my layout/arrangement

simonwilliams

Hey! I am knew to the solar game, so bare with me. We are moving to a property (UK based) which we intend to be in for a while, and would like to install solar - after looking into it, a grid-tie system (no battery storage, for now) seems to suit our needs.

Our roof direction and available space is not ideal, however with a bit of luck, we’ll be able to get 9 panels on the roof, in 3 blocks of 3 - see image below!

6 will face south west - shown in yellow
3 will face south east - shown in blue

My research so far has led me to the conclusion that I should connect the six south west facing panels in series, and the 3 facing south east in series, with each array into its own MPPT, utilising an inverter with duel MPPT inputs.

Something like the Solis single phase 3.6kw 4g duel MPPT looks like it would suffice.

I am just looking for second opinions on my thinking. Am I overcomplicating it? Would the gains of this be worth it, as opposed to connecting the lot in series and accepting the deficiency?

Any advice would be massively appreciated.

Many thanks

ADF9F966-EC3D-4A3A-9820-D28D003435AF.jpeg

You're on the right track.

All panels on an MPPT should be facing the same direction.

Check your MPPT voltage requirements. String inverters often require relatively high voltage for proper MPPT function. 3S typical panels might be too low to engage the minimum Vmp for MPPT operation.

Do your MPPTs like to fight? Or did you mean dual? :p

Thanks @sunshine_eggo !

Plan is to use Eurener MEPV450 solar panels - that way gets the most out of the space I have.

They have a Voc of around 49V and Vmpp of ~41V, so 3 in series should be sufficient.

Thanks for your help!!

Back