diy solar

diy solar

Security System for Off Grid Container(s) & Shed

Circ

We have property in Pahrump NV that is unoccupied for 6 months per year. 2 shipping containers and a shed where we keep all the cool stuff we've collected over the past several decades. Recently someone felt they needed some of our 'cool' stuff. So, I guess a solar powered off-grid security system is in order. Major Research Project! I was a home inspector so have a pretty thorough understanding of electricity on the AC side. Doing my best to bring my knowledge base up to tackle the complexities of DC. I did build a fairly simple 12v system for our RV using 8 solar panels (2350W) and 8 100Ah Battle Born batteries so I have a very basic understanding of solar systems. For this next system, I intend to step up to 24v with possibly higher voltage panels to cut down on wire cost and make it more efficient. There will basically be 3 draws on this system; 1)Four 24v POE cameras. 2) Some type of audible voice controlled noise makers, sirens, flashing lights, etc. 3) Power tools, such as: Drill press, small compressor, saws, sanders, etc. These tools will only be used periodically and I am not on-site so I can't see the amp draws to do a load calculation but my current solar setup on the RV has supported my tools with no problems for the past several years.

My main question regards batteries. Battle Born has served us well with our current setup. They are fairly expensive and I see there are some additional alternatives available now. Will's informative video on building your own 24v battery bank is where I am leaning, however, I don't see anyone using 24v Tesla batteries. Is there a reason for that I am missing? A 24v 4kW battery can be purchased on e-Bay for around $1,000. That is way more battery than I will ever need but it would easily support my shop tools even if I added a bigger compressor and decided to work longer hours.

I realize there are a few other details I need to work out like; how to connect to the internet. I may be able to use a jet-pack from verizon or piggyback on a neighbors service.

I have about 2 months to research this project before implementation. TIA for your assistance in helping me see the bigger picture. I know enough to get myself in BIG trouble but I like to think I am smart enough to ask questions from people who are way above my pay grade/knowledge base.

We have property in Pahrump NV that is unoccupied for 6 months per year. 2 shipping containers and a shed where we keep all the cool stuff we've collected over the past several decades. Recently someone felt they needed some of our 'cool' stuff. So, I guess a solar powered off-grid security system is in order. Major Research Project! I was a home inspector so have a pretty thorough understanding of electricity on the AC side. Doing my best to bring my knowledge base up to tackle the complexities of DC. I did build a fairly simple 12v system for our RV using 8 solar panels (2350W) and 8 100Ah Battle Born batteries so I have a very basic understanding of solar systems. For this next system, I intend to step up to 24v with possibly higher voltage panels to cut down on wire cost and make it more efficient. There will basically be 3 draws on this system; 1)Four 24v POE cameras. 2) Some type of audible voice controlled noise makers, sirens, flashing lights, etc. 3) Power tools, such as: Drill press, small compressor, saws, sanders, etc. These tools will only be used periodically and I am not on-site so I can't see the amp draws to do a load calculation but my current solar setup on the RV has supported my tools with no problems for the past several years.

My main question regards batteries. Battle Born has served us well with our current setup. They are fairly expensive and I see there are some additional alternatives available now. Will's informative video on building your own 24v battery bank is where I am leaning, however, I don't see anyone using 24v Tesla batteries. Is there a reason for that I am missing? A 24v 4kW battery can be purchased on e-Bay for around $1,000. That is way more battery than I will ever need but it would easily support my shop tools even if I added a bigger compressor and decided to work longer hours.

I realize there are a few other details I need to work out like; how to connect to the internet. I may be able to use a jet-pack from verizon or piggyback on a neighbors service.

I have about 2 months to research this project before implementation. TIA for your assistance in helping me see the bigger picture. I know enough to get myself in BIG trouble but I like to think I am smart enough to ask questions from people who are way above my pay grade/knowledge
Do you want an actual security system or just cameras?

I have a netgear LB1120 with a prepaid sim card from T-mobile as my modem/router. Going to upgrade the antenna here in a couple weeks. Just have a cheesy little external antenna. You have to have external antenneas with shipping containers.

The modem connects to an Asus router which is set to work as an access point only.

I have a POE switch that I took the power supply out of and put in a 12 volt to 48 volt converter

The POE switch runs to the generator control and 4 cameras.

I have a mini pc that I can remote into to access the generator control, cameras, router/modem and solar (EpEver) charge controller.

I have an echo dot (alexa) hooked up via a 12v to 5v adapter. The echo dot headphone out hooks to an amplifier which hooks to a horn loudspeaker which allows me to yell at prowlers.

I have a wifi sonoff 12V 4 relay box that allows me to activate boost mode on my charger and turn on some large lights outside.

As best I can tell all that draws about 45 watts. Everything stays charged up with about .9kwh per day. So sized your system accordingly.

I caught my first tweaker last month. 180 miles away. My cameras notified me of motion and I was able call the cops who came and arrested the guy (and then let him go due to covid).

I have Reolink cameras with SD card slots. My one regret. Spend the extra money and get the models that have the smart person/vehicle detection otherwise every moth, raindrop, sunbreak etc sends you a motion alert.

Check this out & look at the details.

Tesla Battery Packs are NOT Suitable for our kind of application really. The Voltage Curves are a pita and you need Very Programmable hardware to handle the range. They can also catch fire, explode etc... For Energy Storage Systems LFP (LiFePO4) is preferred as it is the safest of Lithium Based Chemistries and also the most cost effective. Yes there are folks who use them but that is at their own peril, as many have learned Hard & Painful lessons doing so as well. Even Tesla Powerwalls are going to LFP now and the vast majority of "Power Wall / Power Block" makers are using LFP. Tesla MegaPacks and larger storage systems are being offered in LFP as well. Additionally, adding Tesla Cell Bank next to BattleBorn LFP won't work, completely different profiles, so what you gonna do with the Battleborns ?

Series them for 24V and add another DIY 100, 200 or 300AH Pack in parallel ?
24V/100AH = 2560Wh/2.56kWh

Working with LFP is not hard at all. Have a look at this resource I prepared a while back that will answer most of those questions.
8 Cells to make a 24V pack, + 1 8S BMS + 1 Fuse and box/casing.
Luyuan Tech Basic Lifepo4 Assembly Guide

Hope it helps, Good Luck.

Thank you so much for your responses and sharing your experience.
Do you want an actual security system or just cameras?

I have a netgear LB1120 with a prepaid sim card from T-mobile as my modem/router. Going to upgrade the antenna here in a couple weeks. Just have a cheesy little external antenna. You have to have external antenneas with shipping containers.

The modem connects to an Asus router which is set to work as an access point only.

I have a POE switch that I took the power supply out of and put in a 12 volt to 48 volt converter

The POE switch runs to the generator control and 4 cameras.

I have a mini pc that I can remote into to access the generator control, cameras, router/modem and solar (EpEver) charge controller.

I have an echo dot (alexa) hooked up via a 12v to 5v adapter. The echo dot headphone out hooks to an amplifier which hooks to a horn loudspeaker which allows me to yell at prowlers.

I have a wifi sonoff 12V 4 relay box that allows me to activate boost mode on my charger and turn on some large lights outside.

As best I can tell all that draws about 45 watts. Everything stays charged up with about .9kwh per day. So sized your system accordingly.

I caught my first tweaker last month. 180 miles away. My cameras notified me of motion and I was able call the cops who came and arrested the guy (and then let him go due to covid).

I have Reolink cameras with SD card slots. My one regret. Spend the extra money and get the models that have the smart person/vehicle detection otherwise every moth, raindrop, sunbreak etc sends you a motion alert.
Thank you! Your system is very close to what I was envisioning. Initially I was just going to put up cameras but I believe that would be a band aid and almost pointless as the tweakers/thieves would be long gone and I may not see the damage for months. I would LOVE to be able to yell at them and scare them off. I have some serious research to get to that point but if I could get the initial system up this spring with cameras, I could ad on later.

Not sure what you mean by generator control. I was not planning to have a generator as a back up power source.

Like you, I found the Sheriffs to be all but worthless except for coming out to take an incident report. Fortunately, we did not lose any heirlooms only $$. I had installed a 1/4'' steel plate behind the door jamb for the deadbolt but they blew through the wooden jamb like it was nothing. Learning opportunity for me. Ordered a commercial steel frame and door. It won't keep them all out but I will make it as difficult as I can.

Thank you! Your system is very close to what I was envisioning. Initially I was just going to put up cameras but I believe that would be a band aid and almost pointless as the tweakers/thieves would be long gone and I may not see the damage for months. I would LOVE to be able to yell at them and scare them off. I have some serious research to get to that point but if I could get the initial system up this spring with cameras, I could ad on later.

Not sure what you mean by generator control. I was not planning to have a generator as a back up power source.

Like you, I found the Sheriffs to be all but worthless except for coming out to take an incident report. Fortunately, we did not lose any heirlooms only $$. I had installed a 1/4'' steel plate behind the door jamb for the deadbolt but they blew through the wooden jamb like it was nothing. Learning opportunity for me. Ordered a commercial steel frame and door. It won't keep them all out but I will make it as difficult as I can.
I have a backup generator that auto starts and can be managed remotely. I am sun-poor. Not needed in Nevada where your place is.

I also failed to answer your original question because I have no experience with Lithium. I went with lead acid simply because of cost and like you, it's an intermittent use cabin. If someone gets in and makes off with my 3 120lb 8d batteries, then LOL back surgery for them.

If they make off with a set of battleborns I would cry and cry and cry and lament the loss for a long time.

Couple of tips. Make friends with the neighbors who have guns that will be happy to go confront someone poking around your place.

Make sure you have heavy duty forest service type gate so people cannot drive up anywhere close to your place. This may not matter if it's close to a road.

I have steel shutters that close over all my openings.

Attachments

• 20211101_123330.jpg
    20211101_123330.jpg
    511.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 20211106_173211.jpg
    20211106_173211.jpg
    713.4 KB · Views: 25

Happy to help. Get everything working and dialed in at your house first. Your poe switch, cameras and hotspot/router or whatever.

Check this out & look at the details.

Tesla Battery Packs are NOT Suitable for our kind of application really. The Voltage Curves are a pita and you need Very Programmable hardware to handle the range. They can also catch fire, explode etc... For Energy Storage Systems LFP (LiFePO4) is preferred as it is the safest of Lithium Based Chemistries and also the most cost effective. Yes there are folks who use them but that is at their own peril, as many have learned Hard & Painful lessons doing so as well. Even Tesla Powerwalls are going to LFP now and the vast majority of "Power Wall / Power Block" makers are using LFP. Tesla MegaPacks and larger storage systems are being offered in LFP as well. Additionally, adding Tesla Cell Bank next to BattleBorn LFP won't work, completely different profiles, so what you gonna do with the Battleborns ?

Series them for 24V and add another DIY 100, 200 or 300AH Pack in parallel ?
24V/100AH = 2560Wh/2.56kWh

Working with LFP is not hard at all. Have a look at this resource I prepared a while back that will answer most of those questions.
8 Cells to make a 24V pack, + 1 8S BMS + 1 Fuse and box/casing.
Luyuan Tech Basic Lifepo4 Assembly Guide

Hope it helps, Good Luck.
Utilizing other's experience and knowledge is always helpful. Thank you for your insight on Tesla batteries. I may not have been clear on my system(s). They would not be connected but would remain 2 completely separate systems. The Battle Borns would remain in our trailer which we park on the property and would be supported by the 8 panels on the trailer roof. The shed/container system would function independently to support the security system (whether we are there or not). I was thinking ahead to my future needs and the shed/container system could take the load off the trailer when I use my tools more. I DEFINITELY do not want to risk fire especially when we are not on site. I had a concern about Will's battery bank due to his comments regarding the batteries not liking to above 70 degrees. I wanted to install the new system in one of my connex's due to space, convenience and the ability to put a boatload of solar panels on the roof (should I decide to expand). The Connex probably gets pretty warm during the hot Nevada summers. Don't know exactly how hot but it IS a metal box in the direct sun of the southwest. I built the shed like a house with 6" insulated walls and stucco outside so I may have to sacrifice some wall space in there for the security system.

Sounds like the the Tesla option would be a risky/poor choice. There is no good reason to experience hard and painful lessons when they have already been learned.

I have a backup generator that auto starts and can be managed remotely. I am sun-poor. Not needed in Nevada where your place is.

I also failed to answer your original question because I have no experience with Lithium. I went with lead acid simply because of cost and like you, it's an intermittent use cabin. If someone gets in and makes off with my 3 120lb 8d batteries, then LOL back surgery for them.

If they make off with a set of battleborns I would cry and cry and cry and lament the loss for a long time.

Couple of tips. Make friends with the neighbors who have guns that will be happy to go confront someone poking around your place.

Make sure you have heavy duty forest service type gate so people cannot drive up anywhere close to your place. This may not matter if it's close to a road.

I have steel shutters that close over all my openings.
Unfortunately, I cannot control two of the things you suggest. 1) We are surrounded by BLM land and the ATV's can access our property from the back side almost undetected. 2) Only have 1 neighbor (who was an ex cop) but he is almost never there as he enjoys his other homes in Cabo and Huntington Beach. The other neighbors are 1/2 mi away but it is Nevada and EVERYONE has guns!

With the amount of $$ value the thieves made off with, spending $1,000 on a battery bank is nothing.

I am considering some steel security doors (in addition to the commercial doors) that may be further deterrent. For now, I sunk steel C-channel into concrete and had Home Depot deliver a load of concrete blocks in front of the door. Not a permanent solution but I had to do something until I could get the new door ordered and installed.

I was looking at the Amazon Blink outdoor, waterproof, motion detecting, night vision cameras at $79 each and two AA batteries powers the cameras for 2 years. There is a "sync" unit that all cameras connect to then either saves the video to a USB drive or uploads to the Internet. It can also send alerts to your phone when it detects motion and you can watch live video from your phone provided your off grid property has Internet.

Solar, batteries, and cameras are the easy part. The biggest onstacle with security cameras for an off grid property where you are not living is getting Internet to work. Jetpacks will power off periodically and I think someone would need to physically restart them. If a neighbor lives full-time and has internet, maybe you could pay them to use their Wifi. But wifi signals don't go far.

A lot of times just a motion detector with spotlights and an audio alarm is enough to deter criminals.

I was looking at the Amazon Blink outdoor, waterproof, motion detecting, night vision cameras at $79 each and two AA batteries powers the cameras for 2 years. There is a "sync" unit that all cameras connect to then either saves the video to a USB drive or uploads to the Internet. It can also send alerts to your phone when it detects motion and you can watch live video from your phone provided your off grid property has Internet.

Solar, batteries, and cameras are the easy part. The biggest onstacle with security cameras for an off grid property where you are not living is getting Internet to work. Jetpacks will power off periodically and I think someone would need to physically restart them. If a neighbor lives full-time and has internet, maybe you could pay them to use their Wifi. But wifi signals don't go far.

A lot of times just a motion detector with spotlights and an audio alarm is enough to deter criminals.
Why do jetpacks power off periodically?

That's good to know. I wanted to swap from the prepaid t-mobile to a Verizon jetpack on the wife's plan to save $$$.

Verizon will not provide a Sim card for my current modem because Verizon.

Hate to say this but everything you are talking about is just adding more stuff for the tweakers to steal. It's a nationwide epidemic.
20 years ago I could leave my place for 6 months at a time and work across the country using a 5th wheel as living accommodations where I was close to whatever project I was working on. I'd come home and absolutely nothing had been bothered. Not once in 15 years and it wouldn't have been hard to bust into either. It's 2 miles off pavement.
If they had what it takes to break into a conex they won't have any trouble silencing that annoying horn before they toss it into their pile of treasures to pack away at their leisure.

Why do jetpacks power off periodically?
Not sure why they power off. They aren't meant to run 24/7 for 6 months. This has been a couple years back so maybe newer units are better. Just do some research and Google searches on whichever unit you plan to buy.

You should check out the Calyx Institute for cheap, truly unlimited, high speed, 4G/5G plans. They use the T-Mobile network and cost $750 for the first year and $500 per year after. The first year covers cost of the unit. The FMCA Tech Connect is another good option but it 4G only I think

blew through the wooden jamb like it was nothing. Learning opportunity for me. Ordered a commercial steel frame and door. It won't keep them all out but I will make it as difficult as I can.
You can build up your own jamb with oak (hard!) and 5/16 steel plate, anchoring multiple 1/4” stranded stainless cable into the steel plate 7 places per side. The cables extend 24-30” through wood studs or 5/16” brackets welded inside the container. The hinge side would have six 3/8” steel pins anchored to steel plate in jamb and protruding so they key into steel door upon closing. A single lock is vulnerable but you can put four or five dead bolts on the latch side and of course their bolts extend into the steel plate.
That’s not exactly what I’ve done for places in the past but close in some aspects. Top-of-lift ski shacks and such stop getting broken into when you make a vault door!

If I were doing it for me that’s what I’d do.

Foe places with man doors, have a wood or steel bar that drops in place across the door.

You have a concealed string or rope on the outside you yank to pull the bar out of place to open the door.

Good off-season lock.

Get good insurance. Take lots of pictures, and store them somewhere safe. As a victim of a large burglary, I can tell you that next to nothing will stop a determined thief. Cordless Sawzalls, portable torches, hydraulic jacks for spreading jambs...the list goes on.

Do what you can, but get good insurance.

I have an Echo Dot setup to yell at intruders through a loudspeaker. Had my first one a couple days ago (after getting the speaker setup). Turned them right the hell around. ?

Back