diy solar

diy solar

Seeking Advice from the Pros

Do you have a link for what you feel would be a better overall value?
I do not know your requirements. Not sure if you purposely oversized the cheaper SCC, but matching specs:

This is close at about 2/3 the price:

If you're beating the crap out of that PowMr, you may go thru a couple of them and had to survive between replacements.

If you are in solar for the long haul, a quality SCC is a no-brainer. Victron is a top tier SCC. The bluetooth setup and monitoring is amazingly nice and the 5 year warranty is great too.

My top tier SCC has been a workhorse since 2010. I thought i lost my mind when i bought it but turns out to be the best investment in equipment ever.

UPDATE!

Bit the bullet on rigid. I just got off the phone with SanTan and they are going to expedite 3 T400H Tesla Panels to me.

So now I know exactly what I'm working with as far as panels go.

If I need to get a different SCC or Inverter I'll do it. I still need to get the BMS as well, that's probably the most intimidating.

Anything else I'm missing? Will I need fuses to go between these 3 new panels?

I just got off the phone with SanTan and they are going to expedite 3 T400H Tesla Panels to me.
I'd cut and tape a cardboard model and double check they fit before they ship.

What are the panel specs (Voc and Isc)? We can size an SCC with that.

Tesla T400H: full specifications​

Power output (STC)400 watts
Power output (NMOT)300.1 watts
Efficiency20.4%
Temperature Coefficient (PMax)-0.34%/1°C
Open Circuit Voltage45.3 V
Short Circuit Current11.14 V
Max Power Voltage37.13 V
Max Power Current10.77 V
Front side load (snow)3600 Pa
Back side load (wind)2660 Pa
Weight51.8 lbs
Power Warranty86% after 25 years
Product Warranty25 years

ok here’s where I’m at;

IMG_0905.jpeg

I’ve got the batteries charging from the panels through the charge controller. Seems to be working fine. Today I’m going to hook them up to the inverter and maybe the battery protect (Although I’m wondering if that’s even needed if my inverter has a shut off when battery reaches a set minimum voltage..)

Any comments on things I should take into consideration from here are appreciated ?

Is there a BMS?
Are those batteries of an "Explody" chemistry?

No BMS - if I can regulate the min/max voltages and battery temperature from the SC and Inverter, is it needed?

RE batteries: I hope not ??‍♂️

They are Li-ion Tesla modules

Absolutely explody batteries. Should be well matched, so individual cells won't run away from the others, at least initially.
Some day, I assume they will. Your system lacks the cooling designed by Tesla to ensure a runaway cells doesn't ignite all its neighbors.

If you want to operate without BMS, I suggest you put batteries in an "ammo dump" outside your house.
I certainly recommend a BMS. You regulate overall voltage, but you have no control over individual cell voltages when they diverge. Recipe for ?

Gotcha.

Would you mind sending a link for an easy to install BMS? I’ve seen a few that seem to be a pain to implement (or else are VERY expensive)

Thanks

You have a 48V battery, presumably charging with ~55V
Max Power Voltage37.13 V
Looks like you are running 3P array (without individual fusing) which brings 37V to the SCC. I would expect the SCC to absolutely NEED at least 5V over battery voltage to begin charging.

We recommended running the panels by the group BEFORE buying to make sure they are compatible. I do not see any way that you can make these 3 panels work with your SCC.
You could put 2 in series (voltage too high for 3S).
You could get a second SCC for the third panel.

Is there a BMS?
Are those batteries of an "Explody" chemistry?
they are tesla packs and do say BOOM.
@op.please , please use a good bms or you'll.end up burning something.

had 25 of of them in my old house, scared the living crap out of me

Sharp eye Mister Sandals!

That pic I sent is a little outdated. You were totally right about the voltage being too low with panels in parallel. I wired 2 in series and now it’s charging/working fine.

If I understand you correctly though you’re saying that I’m over stressing the wiring?

25?! That’s crazy ?

Any recommendations on the best BMS?
i had the evtv one, not sure they are still around after jack's passing ( owner and genius)

i saw a video posted here not too long ago from overkill solar , who include a real nice module with it too..

evtv one was extremely pricey, but at that time the only one around, i'd look into the overkill one

If I understand you correctly though you’re saying that I’m over stressing the wiring?
I do not know enough about your wiring (size or length). My comment was about fusing 3P or more arrays. You are down to 2S so it "looks" sufficient... certainly 1/3 the amps with 3P from your last pic.

Would you mind sending a link for an easy to install BMS? I’ve seen a few that seem to be a pain to implement (or else are VERY expensive)
Saving a few bucks on "lower cost" cells for a highly irregular battery can really get costly when you look ahead at what it takes to complete the whole system.

Impulse buying 3 panels that are not compatible with your SCC and battery not the most cost effective either. Did SanTan understand your system when they recommended these panels?

You should slow down and think thru your BMS purchase. Part of this should involve re-evaluating your battery - maybe its more cost effective to cut your losses? I dunno, just take your time because your cells are far from safe.

If you are using powmr equipment dont expect any customer support from them.
I returned 2 of their inverters for not living up to what they advertised. Luckily I bought them on Amazon and easily returned them within the 30 day window

Back