diy solar

diy solar

Seeking advice if this wiring is correct for LV6548 off-grid w/generator and sub-panel from main panel

medic149

Cabin In The Woods
Looking to make sure I am wiring my LV6548 correctly. Will be totally off-grid. Will have a generator going into the AC input to the LV6548. AC output is going to go to a breaker panel next to the LV6548. The plan is to later add a second LV6548 for 240 volt to operate a well pump, but that will be several years down the road. A 100-amp sub-panel off of this panel to the cabin.

I will be doing this in stages. First stage will be to get the 2 EG4 48volt batteries wired into the LV6548. Add the generator as the AC input.

Later in the Fall, I hope to have the solar panels ready to wire into the LV6548. The generator will be used to charge the batteries until then.

Here is the picture of what I am looking to make sure is correct: I will probably also add a disconnect to the positive 4 AWG from batteries.

- THANK YOU!!

Looking to make sure I am wiring my LV6548 correctly2 pic.jpg

Is the 60A Breaker in the Main Panel 1 or 2 pole. You stated it is connected only on the Right. If its a single pole breaker the 100A 2 pole going to your subpanel will only have one hot pole. If the 60A is a 2 pole breaker then how are you going to connect the single black wire to both poles.

You should definitely watch the video at the link posted by 42OhmsPA.
To summarize: There should only be ONE neutral-ground bond for the entire system rather it be in the Inverter or Main Panel but none in the subpanel.

Is the 60A Breaker in the Main Panel 1 or 2 pole. You stated it is connected only on the Right. If its a single pole breaker the 100A 2 pole going to your subpanel will only have one hot pole. If the 60A is a 2 pole breaker then how are you going to connect the single black wire to both poles.
That's what I am noticing now. I was reviewing Will's video, but his latest EG system is for 2 inverters, which I might have down the road. I think his 60 amp was a single pole. He had 2-60 amp breakers. One for each inverter. Then ran breakers off of the left side of the box. Not sure if that would work in my case though. I know Signature Solar is recommending the 60 amp breaker to isolate each inverter.

You should definitely watch the video at the link posted by 42OhmsPA.
To summarize: There should only be ONE neutral-ground bond for the entire system rather it be in the Inverter or Main Panel but none in the subpanel.
So that would mean no ground wire going to the sub-panel at all then, correct?

Did you see this great resource by @FilterGuy?
This is a really good resource. Thank you! My only question is with his first example, Single inverter Off Grid (Single Phase 120V), while I am off-grid, would this be the proper setup since I will have a generator hooked into the AC In on the inverter?? Wouldn't the generator act as "the grid" power?

Or just use single pole 60A breaker in the main and then use a single pole breaker with 1 black to feed the subpanel but only connect one bus bar and just make sure all your subpanel branch breakers land on the same bus bar.

This is a really good resource. Thank you! My only question is with his first example, Single inverter Off Grid (Single Phase 120V), while I am off-grid, would this be the proper setup since I will have a generator hooked into the AC In on the inverter?? Wouldn't the generator act as "the grid" power?
I suppose technically the gen would be the 'grid' and it really depends how the generator is wired regarding N-G bond. I know that's not clear, I'm not an electrician just an avid DIYer so I'd let some more experts chime in.

I suppose technically the gen would be the 'grid' and it really depends how the generator is wired regarding N-G bond. I know that's not clear, I'm not an electrician just an avid DIYer so I'd let some more experts chime in.
Should be easy enough to test continuity between the Neutral in one of the receptacles and the gen frame to see if they are connected.

Maybe.... maybe not.

Did you see the 2nd example?
1656030533057.png

Notice that in the example the generator does not provide an N-G bond. This is typical for the vast majority of portable gas generators in the US.
With this set up you need to remove the bonding jumper screw in the inverter and add one to the breaker box. That way there is always one (and only one jumper)

However, if the generator has an N-G bond, then it acts more like a grid source. In that case leave the bonding jumper screw in the inverter and do not put a jumper in the breaker box. This way the generator supplies the bond when it is driving things and the inverter supplies the bond when it is powering from battery.

Maybe.... maybe not.

Did you see the 2nd example?
View attachment 99852

Notice that in the example the generator does not provide an N-G bond. This is typical for the vast majority of portable gas generators in the US.
With this set up you need to remove the bonding jumper screw in the inverter and add one to the breaker box. That way there is always one (and only one jumper)

However, if the generator has an N-G bond, then it acts more like a grid source. In that case leave the bonding jumper screw in the inverter and do not put a jumper in the breaker box. This way the generator supplies the bond when it is driving things and the inverter supplies the bond when it is powering from battery.

I have the Honda EU2200i, which, from what I have found so far, has a floating neutral. So, I think I would need to add the N-G bond plug that he has as a link in the reference for the first one.

For this setup, it looks like I need to bond the neutral and ground wires in the main box from the inverter, add the grounding screw to connect the neutral bar to the case of the box, and remove the bonding screw inside the LV6548. Which, is exactly what Will did in his video, but he had 2 inverters. Then keep the ground and neutral separate in the sub-panel. Whose on first and what's on second LOL I've gone over this so many times that I get myself confused.

I have the Honda EU2200i, which, from what I have found so far, has a floating neutral. So, I think I would need to add the N-G bond plug that he has as a link in the reference for the first one.

For this setup, it looks like I need to bond the neutral and ground wires in the main box from the inverter, add the grounding screw to connect the neutral bar to the case of the box, and remove the bonding screw inside the LV6548. Which, is exactly what Will did in his video, but he had 2 inverters. Then keep the ground and neutral separate in the sub-panel. Whose on first and what's on second LOL I've gone over this so many times that I get myself confused.
There are many ways to do it...... and that is what confuses folks.

If you use the bonding plug, then the generator becomes like the grid and should be wired like this:

1656044233538.png

When in pass-through mode the generator is supplying the bond via the bonding plug. When on battery the Bonding relay inside the inverter. provides the bond.

There are many ways to do it...... and that is what confuses folks.

If you use the bonding plug, then the generator becomes like the grid and should be wired like this:

View attachment 99864

When in pass-through mode the generator is supplying the bond via the bonding plug. When on battery the Bonding relay inside the inverter. provides the bond.
It looks like I should not combine the neutral and ground in the breaker box, keep the bonding screw in place in the inverter and use a bonding plug on the generator. At least until I someday add another inverter. Does that sound accurate?

I am actually wondering if I would be better off running the Line to a main breaker in a 200 amp box??
Then, when I get a second LV6548, I would run both Lines to a separate breaker and back

Attachments

• breaker box main breaker.jpg
    breaker box main breaker.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 32
Back