diy solar

diy solar

Seeking advice in a solar charge controller with alternator charging. Considering CTEK D250SE, Dual Input 20A

Wirenot 2

I cam seeking advice selecting a solar charge controller which has both solar panel and alternator charging input. I've read about the CTEK D250SE, Dual Input 20A. It's a stretching my budget. But it's for an SUV with not a lot of room to install it. This unit seems to be compact and combines solar and alternator functions. I am seeking someone who may have some knowledge or experience with this unit: CTEK D250SE, Dual Input 20A

The CTEK D250SE is the latest version of the D250. Its very popular in the UK and Europe for modest systems in smallish vehicles and camper vans.

Advantages, small, easy to install with preset profiles for most applications, plug and play.

Disadvantages, solar input limited to 23 volts maximum, will reduce power output when hot. No user settings for charge profiles.

An alternative may be the Renogy 30A Dual-Input DC-to-DC MPPT. This unit is slightly larger than the Ctek but has a higher rated output and a more compressive user selection of charge profiles.

Comparative costs in the UK are CTEK £237, Renogy £ 166

Another alternative is the Sterling 'Pro Batt Ultra' BBS1230 12/12V 30A that combines solar with engine charging, similar cost to the CTEK.

Mike

what batteries do you plan on running?
The SOK 100 AH recommended by Will

I just ordered the Renogy :

DCC30S 12V 30A DUAL INPUT DC-DC ON-BOARD BATTERY CHARGER WITH MPPT
SKU: RBC30D1S

It seemed to do about what needed. And Renogy is located not far from me right now.

Back