diy solar

diy solar

Seeking Good Folding Panels for Jackery 1000

WanderingAlbatross

Recently purchased a Jackery 1000 with two 120 watt foldable panels. The Jackery works great, but the off-brand panels I purchased are not charging well.

On a sunny day, I am getting about 40 watts out of the 240 watt theoretical maximum (I realize that never happens) with both panels. I am using Jackery's included 8 mm to Anderson splitter to run the panels in parallel to keep the voltage down. I measured the Voc and it was 19.2 volts for both panels. Is there something that I am missing?

Here is the link to the off-brand (Coocheer, similar layout to Rockpals) panels:

It looks like a few people have complained about similar issues, but most of the reviews are positive.

I tried to get the Jackery panels, but they were out of stock and expensive.

I can wait for the Jackery panels to come back into inventory, but in the meanwhile, I wanted to see if anyone has had good luck with other folding panels.

Thanks!

I will look if the multimeter I have can measure the voltage and current under load. The output numbers I mentioned were all from the Jackery.

Currently, I don't have a dedicated device for such measurements.

Thanks for the suggestion. Will give it a try.

@MisterSandals: I was not able to get the meter wired properly into the circuit with the given connectors to measure the current. I keep getting zero amps despite double checking that I am on DC, correct amp range, wiring setup, etc. I was having trouble making proper contact with the connectors.

@Knighthawk: The SOC was at 70% when I started. It has slowly climbed to 80% over the course of about four hours despite a very sunny day without a cloud in the sky. Located in CA. Panels are facing in line with the Sun.

If I remove the splitter and plug directly into the Jackery, one panel is generating about 30 watts and the other about 10 watts. The total is the same as when I use the splitter.

Here is my wiring setup:

solar panel -> 5 mm -> 8 mm adapter
----------------------------------------------> y-splitter -> Jackery Anderson connector
solar panel -> 5 mm -> 8 mm adapter

The y-splitter is 8 mm female in and Anderson out.

I should add, I was able to charge using AC at around 160 watts without issue.

Last edited:
I was not able to get the meter wired properly into the circuit with the given connectors to measure the current.
Was the panel in the sun?

How about volts from each panel?
Disconnect the panel. Turn on the meter set it to DC volts, the range above where the panels' Voc rating is (see Voc on the back of your panel). Try 200VDC.
Put panel in sun.
Put the + probe on one wire, put the - probe on the other wire. Read voltage.

It this anywhere near Voc listed on the panel? Same for each of the 2 panels?

I measured the Voc and it was 19.2 volts for both panels.

Panels look to be rated for 12 to 18 volts. The specification for the panels are as follows:

Max Power: 120W

Material: Waterproof Oxford cloth

Conversion Efficiency: ≥25%

6.7A USB Output Voltage: 4.75-5.45V

USB Output Current: 3A (Max)

QC 3.0 USB Output: 5V3A/9V2A/12V1.5A (Max)

DC Output Voltage: 12-18V

DC Output Current: 6.7A(Max)

Type-C Output Voltage: 20V (Max)

Unfolded Size(120W): 56.1x16.3inch

Folded Size: 16.3x14.4x0.9inch

I was not measuring the current as an open circuit. I did measure Voc correctly based on the video.

The panels are now shadowed so I am only getting a fraction of an amp (10 watts is showing on the Jackery). I will try again tomorrow when there is direct sun.

Thank you for the clarification!

I measured the Voc and it was 19.2 volts for both panels.
Panels look to be rated for 12 to 18 volts. T
Did you see Will Prowse's Youtube video on Jackery 1000?
It will only accept 30 volts and charge at a 7 Amp max as tested using a 30 volt power supply.
Lowering the input voltage drops the amps even more.
From memory at 17? volts you are only getting about 4? amps which drops even more below that.
Use a panel with high open circuit voltage to overcome this charging limitation.
Jackery screwed up with only 30 volts input even though it is MPPT.

It will only accept 30 volts and charge at a 7 Amp max as tested using a 30 volt power supply.
Ha! I was just typing, asking about what voltage the 120vac charger was producing. Thinking that maybe the 19v was too low.

Great catch MBR, you even had the answers!

I had seen Will's video a while ago and had forgotten how slowly the Jackery solar charges at lower voltages. He mentions using a 22 volt panel to get up to the full 7 amps. Even the Jackery panels are 18 volts so no relief there. Does anyone make a 20+ volt folding panel?

Last edited:
Actually, found the specs.
Input is 12V-30V (200W Max)
So it "should" work fine at 19v.

Lets see how many amps your panels are producing before jumping to conclusions.

From the video.
Max 175 watts on solar.
17.4 volts is only 2.9A is 50 watts.

24V 8A power supply but only 160 watts charging.
This is why I did not buy a Jankery aka Junkery at the $800 discounted price.
Too slow to charge.
All of these solar generators have major flaws.

This same thing (and some other charging weirdness) has been driving me crazy on the Jackery 500. There's no practical way to achieve their maximum rated charge power via typical solar panels. Sure you can get a power brick to deliver 30V at 7A, but where's the 200W panel that'll do that? The input voltage max is too low to put two 100W panels in series. I've got a 200W panel with Vmp = 21.05 and Imp = 9.5A. That'd be good for around 140-145W max into the Jackery 1000.

@MBR is right that these have major solar charging flaws. I love the units otherwise, but if you're going to go to the trouble of putting in an MPPT, make it at least capable of Voc of 48V so you can put a couple of typical 100W panels in series.

Actually, found the specs.
Input is 12V-30V (200W Max)
So it "should" work fine at 19v.
Lets see how many amps your panels are producing before jumping to conclusions.
I already said 30V max and 175 watts max solar tested in the real world.
Both Will and Hobotech were not willing to test over 30 Volts input to see what happens and
risk blowing up their free Jackery's.
Maybe a shut off error code like a Bluetti 1500/ 2400 or magic smoke?
A 24 Volt panel has Voc of 32 volts.

Will has over $4000 of solar generators on his bench! lol

Last edited:
I tend to agree, these seem like odd design decisions being that the typical Voc and current are well known. Maybe the accountants got ahold of the design in the end.

As mentioned, I am getting the impression that none of the off the shelf solar generators currently have well-rounded performance at a respectable price. Good specs are available, but not great and real world does not seem to always match the specs.

Right now I am looking for something fairly small that can be carried. In the long run, a full DIY rig is the solution.

A 24 volt panel is an interesting idea. That would allow for charging at the full 7 amps assuming it does not trip the voltage limit...

I already said 30V max and 175 watts max solar tested in the real world.
Except you'll probably never even get there in the real world. I've yet to find a solar panel with Vmp = 30V, or found a combination of panels in series that'll get you there. In practice I believe you're looking at under 150W max solar input.

A 24 volt panel is an interesting idea. That would allow for charging at the full 7 amps assuming it does not trip the voltage limit...
I've yet to find a 20V or 24V class solar panel with Vmp that's under 30V. Not saying they aren't out there, just that it's not typical. If you find any, please let us know.

Back