diy solar

diy solar

Seeking Good Folding Panels for Jackery 1000

Thanks for the link to the video... i did not realize the situation was that strange.

I wonder how stepping the voltage up to 24v would work?
My searches show MBR on this issue for weeks so he is the authority... anybody try this?

The spec says 200 watts, but it can really only do about 175 watts from a benchtop power supply.

No typical off the shelf solar setup gets you perfectly to 30 volts so about 150 watts becomes the practical limit?

I am getting the impression that there is no guarantee that there is a high voltage cut off. Is it typical to have no upper voltage cut for these types of integrated systems? It seems like people would accidentally connect their panels in series and that would cause a failure.

On a positive note, so far, I have not had the lag issue with the screen updating that was shown in the video.

Also, I recall with the Jackery 500 that people were hacking in a high rate MPPT charge controller to replace the PWM version it came with. Now it is starting to make a little more sense why they were doing these modifications.

Also, I recall with the Jackery 500 that people were hacking in a high rate MPPT charge controller to replace the PWM version it came with. Now it is starting to make a little more sense why they were doing these modifications.
Can you point me to that? I haven't seen anything along those lines. Thanks. (I've seen it with Goal Zeros, not Jackerys).

120-130W charging from 200W of solar in almost ideal conditions is a bit disappointing.
They almost got it this time but if they bumped up the max input voltage to 50V they might have had something here.
Try connecting two panels in series and use a DC-DC converter to regulate to 30.0V.
At least that should give 175W as you showed in the prev Explorer 1000 video.

Last edited:
I measured the open circuit voltage and current (sun directly overhead) for both panels based on the previously shared video and got the following:
19.5 volts
0.02 amps <-- This should be 5+ amps!

It appears the panels are bad and I will likely need to return them. Any other tests that should be done before going down that road?

Also, any thoughts on what foldable panels I should go after next? Am I better off going with a flexible panel instead of foldable? I don't have the storage for traditional rigid glass panels.

Last edited:
Yeah, they were both 0.02 amps. I can also check the resistance of the provided wires in case it was a bad batch of cables.

Perhaps both of the junction boxes have the same issue?

I agree it is odd that they both measure the same low current value.

Last edited:
Please let me know if you see any issues. I don't have as much experience measuring current! Some of the cells were shaded when I took the measurement.

20200422_162524.jpg

20200422_162647.jpg

20200422_162841.jpg

Last edited:
You need the red plug over on the left "10A".
Set the selector to "A" (one click clockwise).
And i believe on the plug, they are generally center positive though i am drawing a blank whether it matters with a meter... (so put the red probe in the plug, black on the outer barrel ... i will feel better, even if it does not matter)

I started with the configuration you mentioned and the reading was all zeros.

I will give it another try tomorrow with the 10A setup (red lead on 10A and selector on "A") and see what I get.

I will also check the polarity of the barrel connector.

On a side note, I got feedback from Jackery that there is an automatic cut off if the 30 volt charging limit is exceeded.

On a side note, I got feedback from Jackery that there is an automatic cut off if the 30 volt charging limit is exceeded.
Thanks!
That makes sense so the same as Maxoak Bluetti's which also cut off on too much voltage.
Why don't all SCC have this feature?

In your test above the Jackery's battery is at 92% so will be on reduced charging.
Run the battery down to test charging and measuring amps.
The watt input meter and voltage will deduce amps.
What are the max watts charging on each panel to the Jackery.

I will give it another try tomorrow with the 10A setup (red lead on 10A and selector on "A") and see what I get.
If you can send a pic of the meter that would be helpful. And double check that both panels are producing ~19v still.
If it was producing SOMETHING as seen by even slow charging your Jackery, is has to has some amps!

Here are my latest findings with the solar panel testing
Where is the pic of the power meter?
When you got the 0 amps reading what was the Jackery's incoming watt meter showing?
What was the charge %?
volts x amps = watts
How many watts charging do you get on only 1 panel?

Hmm, looks setup right for amp measurement. Mighty suspicious number that 0.0 amps, on both panels.
Wonder if the 10A fuse in the meter is blown?

Back