diy solar

diy solar

Seeking INEXPENSIVE 80~100A MPPT SCC - asking for a friend

ghostwriter66

"Here - Hold my Beer"
EE from LAX CA -work in SouthTX for giant evil Oil
LOTS OF RAMBLING - SKIP TO THE LAST SENTENCE IF YOU ARE IN A HURRY...

Yes i know i should have posted this in the SCC section but most of the ppl i hang with are here so one of the moderators can move it to the right section once I get busted ...

SOOO we have this SECURITY subcontractor out here that has, I guess, guarded the gates since Custer was a 2LT ... The guy is old, (honestly - probably pushing 75+) ... really really nice, probably not the richest person out here (the security guards don't get paid much which makes NO sense since they carry 9mm and AR-15's - I mean really- who thinks its a good idea to pay the guys with automatic weapons the least amount out here - in the middle of a desert - where ppl disappear all the time - anyway - I digress)...

SOOO he is about 25 miles out in the middle of nowhere on a single highway we use guarding a security gate -- we provide him water every three days and we have a 5kw generator running non-stop since like 1970 they say to help cool him down during the day -- BUT apparently the 5k causes the voices in his head to get louder and he was wondering if he got some solar panels could we hook them up for him and he would only use the 5K when he needed to.. .. of course we said sure ...

Suddenly 15 (not ours) 260W 31V solar panels showed up about a week ago and we need to get him a MPPT SCC that will work but that he has to pay for .. (Our company is treacherous on us even giving Free advice away let alone an old SCC laying around ... SOOO he needs to keep the SCC under $300 he says since he's paying ...

NO he is NOT trying to run the AC's at all on solar - but he likes to sit outside and listen to the coyotes and not hear the 5K running all the time ..

Not going to try to talk him down about not needing 100A's of charging - just want to help the old guy out and move on ...

He has a good inverter ... he just needs the SCC .. all the stuff i am familiar with is a pretty hefty chunk of change more than he can afford and i don't want to get him something thats going to burn his trailer down (refer back to automatic weapons and voices paragraph)

Anyway - anyone have a suggestion for a inexpensive 80 or 100A SCC ?? THX

Craig,

Another person is looking for a 36v all-in-one. I know these aren't all-in-one units, but would you recommend them as components to his system?

Craig,

Another person is looking for a 36v all-in-one. I know these aren't all-in-one units, but would you recommend them as components to his system?

These things are pretty simple but as far as cheap SCC go I have tried 4 different types and these work the best. You can see 2 in my profile picture have been using them for 2 years. I just bought 2 more to make portable generators with.

LOTS OF RAMBLING - SKIP TO THE LAST SENTENCE IF YOU ARE IN A HURRY...

Yes i know i should have posted this in the SCC section but most of the ppl i hang with are here so one of the moderators can move it to the right section once I get busted ...

SOOO we have this SECURITY subcontractor out here that has, I guess, guarded the gates since Custer was a 2LT ... The guy is old, (honestly - probably pushing 75+) ... really really nice, probably not the richest person out here (the security guards don't get paid much which makes NO sense since they carry 9mm and AR-15's - I mean really- who thinks its a good idea to pay the guys with automatic weapons the least amount out here - in the middle of a desert - where ppl disappear all the time - anyway - I digress)...

SOOO he is about 25 miles out in the middle of nowhere on a single highway we use guarding a security gate -- we provide him water every three days and we have a 5kw generator running non-stop since like 1970 they say to help cool him down during the day -- BUT apparently the 5k causes the voices in his head to get louder and he was wondering if he got some solar panels could we hook them up for him and he would only use the 5K when he needed to.. .. of course we said sure ...

Suddenly 15 (not ours) 260W 31V solar panels showed up about a week ago and we need to get him a MPPT SCC that will work but that he has to pay for .. (Our company is treacherous on us even giving Free advice away let alone an old SCC laying around ... SOOO he needs to keep the SCC under $300 he says since he's paying ...

NO he is NOT trying to run the AC's at all on solar - but he likes to sit outside and listen to the coyotes and not hear the 5K running all the time ..

Not going to try to talk him down about not needing 100A's of charging - just want to help the old guy out and move on ...

He has a good inverter ... he just needs the SCC .. all the stuff i am familiar with is a pretty hefty chunk of change more than he can afford and i don't want to get him something thats going to burn his trailer down (refer back to automatic weapons and voices paragraph)

Anyway - anyone have a suggestion for a inexpensive 80 or 100A SCC ?? THX

MPP Solar PCM60X can take 150v and put out 60 amps in 12, 24 or 48v flavors.

Ian Roux shipped mine out of Utah 3 days door to door. $249 shipped.

Ian has been active on the forum.

NAWS has an 80 amp Outback MPPT for $400. Perhaps remind the boys they're mighty big targets and sweetly ask for donations? He did protect their ancestors from Indians after all. Possibly an AliExpress equivalent? Not like he's connected to the grid.

You could get that price point with two PWMs. For that matter, two of the 40a makeSkyBlue units Craig talked about would be under $300. Odd... two of the 50 amp units is even less than two 40 amp units?? (In retrospect, Craig probably was recommending two units).

Last edited:
How about a midnite solar 250V?

Manufacter : Midnite Solar
Product Line: Classic
Manufactured in: United States of America
250 operating voltage
Max current out: 63 amps
ETL listed to UL1741 and CSA
Type 1 environmental rating
Terminals are rated for 75 C
Exclusive HyperVOC extends VOC limits
12-72V battery
Built in DC-GFP
Solar, wind and hydro MPPT modes
Note: DC Solar model is buck only, no internal speaker, no “follow me”, mode ARC fault disabled, no AUX 1&2
$1,136.01 regular
$550.00 sale

I know that sounds like a lot and over the budget but the above price is cdn funds. It's only $400USD

Limited supplies!!!!

How about a midnite solar 250V?

Manufacter : Midnite Solar
Product Line: Classic
Manufactured in: United States of America
250 operating voltage
Max current out: 63 amps
ETL listed to UL1741 and CSA
Type 1 environmental rating
Terminals are rated for 75 C
Exclusive HyperVOC extends VOC limits
12-72V battery
Built in DC-GFP
Solar, wind and hydro MPPT modes
Note: DC Solar model is buck only, no internal speaker, no “follow me”, mode ARC fault disabled, no AUX 1&2
$1,136.01 regular
$550.00 sale

I know that sounds like a lot and over the budget but the above price is cdn funds. It's only $400USD

Limited supplies!!!!

Thats a really good price on the Midnight Solar ... comes to about 390 US plus 55 shipping ...

Back