diy solar

diy solar

Seeking input on solar/battery setup for truck camper

evdog

Hi everyone, I've been doing research and have made designs for two variations of a solar/battery setup for my truck and camper. I'd appreciate any input on design or components, things that might work better, etc. Fuse and wire size selection are definite concerns.

I recently installed a Superpacific Switchback on my Tacoma which is basically a commercial grade topper with an integrated roof top tent. I use it mostly for dispersed camping on mountain bike road trips. I tend to move spots every couple days so using the alternator for charging will be built in. Keeping a Dometic CFX3 45 fridge powered continuously is the main goal of the system. Lighting, a fan, and usb chargers will also be installed and used. I'm not planning on installing an inverter; if I did, it would likely only be used for powering my laptop on longer trips. I may install a We-boost down the road. I'm sure I'll come up with other additions once the option is there : )

The setup I'm considering is fairly simple: charging one 100Ah LiFeP04 battery from the alternator with top up from one 175W solar panel.

First design - mostly Renogy components including the DCC50S DC-DC charger which has an integrated MPPT charger. So it can handle charging from solar panels and alternator. Monitoring via BT-2 bluetooth module.

Second design uses mostly Victron components, and has separate DC-DC and MPPT chargers. Monitoring via Victron monitor or other.

I don't have personal knowledge or preference between brands but Victron and Battleborn seem to be the most highly regarded, although more expensive. I do like the idea of keeping most components the same brand to minimize need for different monitoring apps, and hoping they'll play well together. Renogy will come out $2-300 cheaper.

Let me know of any questions or things I could clarify. Thanks for looking!

1617403267075.png

Start here, https://www.dometic.com/en-us/faq/cfx3 Unfortunately, Dometic doesn't give the watt hours needed to run a cooler for an extended time. One would think they would have an ambient temp of 75F and give a range for watts needed but they don't.

From the reviews of your cooler, most run on a 100Ah battery and 150w panel and think indefinitely so you should be fine. I would go another step up to an extra portable panel and slightly larger battery just for those times when sun isn't present for a few days or you want to park in shade. The Renogy will work but you need to remember the 50a of charging is 25a solar max plus 25a alternator.

Thanks! I'm happy with the size of solar panel and battery selected. The fridge manual suggests it will draw 8.2A. It doesn't run very often in cool weather. I can also set the temperature higher if need be.

Mostly interested in any feedback on fuse/wiring sizing. And if anyone has input on the Renogy vs Victron selection.

Thanks! I'm happy with the size of solar panel and battery selected. The fridge manual suggests it will draw 8.2A. It doesn't run very often in cool weather. I can also set the temperature higher if need be.

Mostly interested in any feedback on fuse/wiring sizing. And if anyone has input on the Renogy vs Victron selection.
I can tell you my Dometic does not like voltage drop. I have the Dometic CFX 95DZW, great fridge/freezer. Very low amp draw once intial cooldown is done. I always removed the back seat of my full size Chevy extended cab and put it back there, ran it off the 2 diesel starting batteries. I could run it for a few days with a good set of FLA batteries. I needed to get another 12v power cord and cut the power plug adapter off and run a heavy gauge wire to the cooler direct from the truck battery. I will be powering it off my LiFePo4 bank in my camper so I've been just waiting to get that done before wiring it all in.

That thing can freeze fish solid in a few hours in the freezer. I just love mine, we carry frozen steaks and food with us when we travel.

Yup, mine would flash a low voltage warning pretty quickly if I have the ignition on but engine not running. It stayed reasonably cool in the low 50s on my last big trip but I'd like it colder for food. Don't need to freeze anything, but the beer does need to be kept cold : ) . It won't be as easy now through late fall as temps increase. Hence the need for battery setup.

Back