diy solar

diy solar

Seeking input/output system monitoring recommendation (Midnite Solar and Magnum Energy Components)

wyorado

Hi,
New to this site so apologies if this post is full of rookie mistakes.

I have lived off grid for just over two years now and inherited a system from the previous owner. The system was installed in 2012 but it's wired almost identically to this with the exception of it not having a WhizBagJr. Batteries were shot when I bought the place, so I put in a new block of AGM lead acids and replaced the 20+ year old panels outside.

I'm still dialing in the current configuration, but I've got it to a point that I consider it fairly well tuned for the age of the current batts. I am however unimpressed with my monitoring system. Currently, I can view the power I've generated in a given day via my MidNite solar charge controllers but I have no visibility into what is being drawn from either my batteries or inverter outside of napkin math in relation to battery voltage.

Is anyone familiar with tooling that will allow me to wirelessly view a historical record of
1) The amount of power I'm producing in a given day
2) The amount of power I'm consuming in a given day.

Maybe too much to ask for but if possible I am looking for something that could be considered fairly "plug n' play". I'd prefer not to have to write and maintain custom software that scraps and displays data from the dedicated Midnite Solar and Magnum Energy solutions :)

Thanks in advance for any insights y'all might have. Happy to answer any questions that would help with the recommendation process.

Last edited:
I don't know how to delete entries. Added the tidbit I wrote here into the original post.

shunt with monitor
Got a product recommendation? Would be easier than my current plan.

Satellite internet doesn't play nice out of the box with the software included with my components. Probably just going to tap into them both, dump their outputs to a rasp pi, and write that data to some custom cloudstore.

If anyone stumbles upon this I backfit a whizbangjr into the electrical cabinet while making other upgrades. Concurrently I sent my classic into Midnite to be upgraded, I guess the control boards are different now than ten years ago. I also changed out satellite internet provider to starlink which apparently plays nicely with midnite's web software. I don't get load data directly but I do get controller and whizbang amps from which load amperage can be ascertained IIUC. My inverter does have a network cable but I'm not sure if I'm going to even bother with it at this point, especially considering it's at near EOL.

None of this is plug-n-play but maybe I was asking for too much. Works great now though!

Back