diy solar

diy solar

Seeking off-grid backup

JP in NC

I know this is a common topic for newbies, but hoping I can get some advice for my specific situation. We currently have a pretty standard small grid-tied system (10 x 340w panels), covers a decent chunk of our yearly use, net metering with the utility, all works fine 99% of the time. But like everyone else with a grid-tied system, I'd like to be able to use at least some of those panels when the grid is down. I'm sure we could upgrade to some sort of hybrid inverter or get a proper house battery back up sytem, but I have a specific question about trying to use what we already have.

In the basement, we already have a manual generator transfer switch, which is connected to 4 essential house circuits (fridge, lights, some outlets). This box has one standard male 120 volt plug that is tied to the 4 circuits -- so you just plug an extension cord in from a battery/inverter or portable generator, flip the switch, and you can power those 4 circuits from the alternate source. It's the same as this one:

What I'd like to do is have some way that, if the grid goes down, I could manually switch 2 or 3 of our existing roof panels to feed into a separate off-grid charge controller in the basement, instead of going to the normal inverter we use for the house/grid. This separate off-grid charge controller would help extend the charge on a big battery and inverter we already have, which I use to power those 4 key circuits during shorter blackouts (I currently just keep the battery topped off and ready with an AC battery tender). When the grid comes back up, I'd throw the switch the other way and the panels would go back to being part of the grid-tied system we normally use.

So I guess I'm looking for something that's basically like a Y splitter for the back of the panel, so that it could feed power to either of two places, but with some kind of manual switch so that it's only ever doing one or the other -- NOT trying to do both at the same time.

I suppose I could always just go up on the roof, manually unplug the panels from the grid-tied system, and plug them into different cables that feed into the off-grid setup in the basement, but I was hoping for something I could set up ahead of time so that when the time comes that I need to do it, it's as easy as flipping a switch.

Obviously I know nothing about solar -- just a regular homeowner here looking for some backup power options, and I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Last edited:
Ideally I'd like to find something plug-and-play simple like this, but instead of selecting between off/on, I would be selecting between where the panel's power is supposed to go -- (1) send it to the normal grid-tied inverter or (2) send it to the off-grid setup in the basement:

Last edited:
Back