diy solar

diy solar

Seeking recommendation for battery and inverter for 320v, 2-panel, off-grid system

beetlebolt

Hi. We started with a 110ah agm about 5 yrs ago which we seem to have outgrown and seems to be degraded.

So we're now looking for a replacement battery and probably inverter (might benefit from lower idle consumption).
Here's what we currently have:
Morningstar TS-MPPT-45
2x160w panels SLP160S-12
Samlex Solar PST-300-12

I *am* interested in investing in lipo although in 2 or 3 years i might add 10 more panels.

Our usage is entirely based on what's available. We simply use flashlights when there isn't enough power.

Last edited:
Very, very doable, but make an itemized list of what you would possibly want to power. I personally would recommend you upgrade to at least 24V, and there are lots of better panel choices than the one you listed.

Go to your local Craigslist and see what is for sale in your local area. Cash and carry will get you the best deals. Expect to get 3-4W/$ for regular grid-tie panels in the 240-260W range. Don't pay more than 2W/$ for the newest "latest generation" panels.

Your MorningStar is a keeper. With grid-tie panels, you could quickly upgrade to 1200+W of panels if you go with 24V. Samlex makes a very nice 2000W sine-wave inverter for ~650$ right now. Background power consumption is only about 20W/hr.

Golf-cart batteries at 24V would be a comfortable upgrade. CostCo is selling a 6V 210Ah golf-cart for 99$. Four would give you 210Ah X 24V X 50%usage = 2.5kWh of power. Enough to keep a normal-sized refrigerator running 24/7.

Talk about your budget. Making this or that suggestion doesn't help much if you can't afford them. What kind of upgrade are you willing to afford?

Back