diy solar

diy solar

Self sustainable shipping container

Engineering requires parameters/model and equation or simulator. Getting a good model is the tough part. Always easy if you assume a simple weight on a spring (ideal components.)

You could place an iPhone on the floor, drop a sandbag, record the response.
You can then predict how it would react to any given frequency, within its linear range.
For instance, that laundry machine on "spin".
Probably, Excel could be used to compute timesteps in a series of cells, then graph.

You folks already did so, but anything used in International shipping especially from China, fumigate for pests, small crawlies and big ones too. I got a laser imported directly from China and crawlies inside and I got them all I hope with the bug killer spray. I can imagine the ones in the containers!

Engineering requires parameters/model and equation or simulator. Getting a good model is the tough part. Always easy if you assume a simple weight on a spring (ideal components.)

You could place an iPhone on the floor, drop a sandbag, record the response.
You can then predict how it would react to any given frequency, within its linear range.
For instance, that laundry machine on "spin".
Probably, Excel could be used to compute timesteps in a series of cells, then graph.

I actually needed this for several different reasons. One involving my perpetual motion downhill/uphill bicycle track. If anyone wants to see big jumps let me know

You folks already did so, but anything used in International shipping especially from China, fumigate for pests, small crawlies and big ones too. I got a laser imported directly from China and crawlies inside and I got them all I hope with the bug killer spray. I can imagine the ones in the containers!
The container was born in 1997 same with me. It’s been sitting in hiding at a port since 2000.
I bought it in 2020.
No crawlies were found but I do spray every year under around and inside.

You can tune the resonant frequency to taste.

View attachment 98177

View attachment 98178

Some designs have been reported to be bouncy.
I think making a composite with concrete could dampen that quite a bit. e.g. weld on screen, attach chicken wire, apply stucco.
Architecturally these are beautiful.
They look like they’re engineered to the fullest extent possible.
Awesome to look at.
Love it.
I still might do it one day. Who knows.

In no particular order.

Self explanatory other than there 3 queen beds. One in up the little ladder. Under that one down the hall, there is another the "minecraft" cave and then master bed in the back.

Above that first queen bed are two twin beds.

All craigslist free or cheap stuff including all appliances. Modified if needed and reconditioned as best as possible.

These are "under construction" photos so there is still punch list stuff (trim, shelves etc) yet to be installed.
View attachment 98053View attachment 98061View attachment 98056View attachment 98057View attachment 98058View attachment 98059View attachment 98060
Woah do you have a real water toilet lol?!?

It could happen but my container was pretty clean. Big, empty box. No place for bugs to hide. Maybe underneath.

Jack it up at an incline and hose it out. Scrub with dawn. Let dry. Put a couple of coats of shellac on the wood floor.

Hit the outside rust spots with cold galvanize every year.

Scrub the roof with dawn. Paint with elastomeric cool roof (Lowes). Two coats. Makes a big diff.

It could happen but my container was pretty clean. Big, empty box. No place for bugs to hide. Maybe underneath.

Jack it up at an incline and hose it out. Scrub with dawn. Let dry. Put a couple of coats of shellac on the wood floor.

Hit the outside rust spots with cold galvanize every year.

Scrub the roof with dawn. Paint with elastomeric cool roof (Lowes). Two coats. Makes a big diff.
You must be reading my “to do” list. Im painting the roof with the elastomeric this weekend. I also slapped some exterior paint on

Careful. Not only is it slick, but it’s so long and narrow, every step is an opportunity to walk off the edge. And a big, thick roller can get in between the ridges better.

I scrubbed my top down with a floor brush/dawn. 10 years later, no sign of peeling.

Careful. Not only is it slick, but it’s so long and narrow, every step is an opportunity to walk off the edge. And a big, thick roller can get in between the ridges better.

I scrubbed my top down with a floor brush/dawn. 10 years later, no sign of peeling.
Hit mine with zep degreaser, pressure wash then phosphate.

It will probably peel.

That’s awesome I’m pretty excited to get it done

Finally after a long time saving I pulled the trigger on the growatt 6000t split phase inverter and a 100amp hour growatt battery. I’m excited to get some power going to my container.
Im going to be charging my battery with my generator until I can afford to buy all my panels.

If anyone has any tips or advice for a first timer like me itd be much appreciated. External a/c disconnect? Generator charging experiences?
6’ grounding rod? Inverter noise?

Welp I got everything temporarily hooked up and running in the shipping container.
I’m using this growatt battery which is a royal pain in the ass.
I continued to get fault code 20 for two weeks and couldn’t charge my battery.
Sig solar provided me with a protocol option that wasn’t listed in the manuals or anywhere in fact!

Setting 05
L5 51
Press enter
Setting should be
L51 51
Instantly it started working!

Happiness pours from my body.

Im charging the battery from my ac input (generator) not from pv yet.

So I charge the battery up to %100. Took roughly 1 hour.
Battery was at %50.

I turn on my ac output breaker to provide power to my containers electrical panel.

I shut off the ac input breaker.

I shut my generator off.

It powers the container for about 35 minutes and gives me fault code (04)

Shuts down immediately.

Anger overflows my 45’ container.

I call sig solar…they tell me to update the firmware.

Okay I’m down for a good time. Let’s give it a shot.
They didn’t send me a link with everything I need so now I’m waiting for them to send me the rest.
Going on 24 hours now.
They must be busy and I’m understanding.
I’m also grateful I’m not completely without power at the moment.
They told me we’re all just pioneers in this industry and that hopefully we can figure this all out.
Anyway. If you’ve read this far.
Overall I’m happy with the system despite the pioneering.
In the short glorious 35 minutes
I was able to run a commercial electric fan, 5 led lights, mini fridge, Samsung LP gas stove, Samsung tv, dewalt tools battery charger, and my laptop charger.
All of that running at the same time was less than 400 watts out of 6000 available.

Attachments

• 3573B5CE-1734-4F2B-90A1-EF98FADAF8F8.jpeg
    3573B5CE-1734-4F2B-90A1-EF98FADAF8F8.jpeg
    83.5 KB · Views: 7
  • D2BADF4E-0AAE-464C-9F60-74440DD27384.jpeg
    D2BADF4E-0AAE-464C-9F60-74440DD27384.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 7
Back