diy solar

diy solar

Self sustainable shipping container

Mannfamilywoodworks

Solar Enthusiast
Hi my names Ryan and I’m new to the forum.

Im building out a 45’ shipping container with intentions of being fully sustainable/off the grid/ and debt free at the end of my build.

It has a kitchen, a bedroom, and a bathroom.
I’m in the rough phases of construction at the moment but I’d say I’m %60 completed.
It’s comfortable at the moment.
I’ve been working on this for a year now.

Currently the container is powered by a 6500 watt gas generator which is connected to a 4 prong 30amp chord which is wired into a panel with a few breakers which feed all my outlets and lights!
Wait…
Gas? Yes I know…Not exactly self sustainable at the moment.
I’m using the generator so I can test all my wiring/ enjoy the space I’ve built.

I’ve estimated my consumption based off of some Honda generator website?
My estimated usage added up to be around 3700 running watts. Generously
5600 surge watts.

I’m about to purchase one of two systems to get some solar power.

Either I’m going to go with an ecoflow delta pro or a growatt 6kw inverter and some server rack type batteries.

I know they’re entirely different systems all though they’re similar in pricing.
One supply’s more ac output.
One is portable.
I’ve heard great things about both.

My main question here and reason for posting in the first place is to see if anyone is powering up any tiny homes with the ecoflow delta pro and if so how’s it going?
How’d you do it? Are you powering a panel?

I’ve attached a few pictures of the inside and outside of the container and my generator enclosure which is also a mountain bike ramp.
Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• 6A576CA7-990A-4B80-919E-48B3380DEDC8.jpeg
    6A576CA7-990A-4B80-919E-48B3380DEDC8.jpeg
    342.6 KB · Views: 112
  • 5CBF2E49-A367-481F-B23A-13588DA178DC.jpeg
    5CBF2E49-A367-481F-B23A-13588DA178DC.jpeg
    371 KB · Views: 108
Hello, although the ecoflow delta pro and the growatt + server rack batteries are a similar price I can assure you they have very different capabilities. The ecoflow delta pro has a battery capacity of 3600 wh, a max PV input of 1600 watts, and a 3600-watt output, all for $3600. Whilst buying a server rack battery and a 6kw Growatt will get you a battery capacity of 5120wh, a max PV input of 5000 watts, and a 6000-watt output, all for only $2700. The growatt gives you nearly twice as much for almost $1000 less. You would probably want an all-in-one with a higher PV input or 2 of the growatts put together in parallel to supply that 3700-watt power draw you have. Either way, the generator will cost you thousands more since you would need around 4 of them given their low PV input.
EDIT: You will also need some wires and fuses for these so slap on another $100 or so for the growatt option

Cool project. Good to see some airflow under the container.

lots to learn. You may be able to roof that thing with solar for some shading. Depends on location and shade. Overhead hours count (much) more than morning evening.

I like the rugged look.

Make sure you do grounding and GFCI correctly for electrical safety.
Doubt fire safety will be much of a problem (unless you have flammable insulation or paneling).

Generator can let you get by with less battery and less PV.
Shade may be a problem, especially in winter.
Got a creek for hydro?

Any motor loads, like A/C, water pump, tools? Those are what drive inverter needs.

Hello, although the ecoflow delta pro and the growatt + server rack batteries are a similar price I can assure you they have very different capabilities. The ecoflow delta pro has a battery capacity of 3600 wh, a max PV input of 1600 watts, and a 3600-watt output, all for $3600. Whilst buying a server rack battery and a 6kw Growatt will get you a battery capacity of 5120wh, a max PV input of 5000 watts, and a 6000-watt output, all for only $2700. The growatt gives you nearly twice as much for almost $1000 less. You would probably want an all-in-one with a higher PV input or 2 of the growatts put together in parallel to supply that 3700-watt power draw you have. Either way, the generator will cost you thousands more since you would need around 4 of them given their low PV input.
EDIT: You will also need some wires and fuses for these so slap on another $100 or so for the growatt option

Thankyou for your answer. I’m honestly leaning more towards the growatt option because it is a little cheaper …you’re right!
It is a lot more power.
It’s a single inverter that supplies a split phase output so I can easily run my panel.

The only good thing at the moment about the delta for me personally given my circumstances is the portability.
I’ll probably get the growatt and make that my primary home system.
Maybe Later in life I’ll purchase a delta pro to satisfy my portable power needs.

I like the rugged look.

Make sure you do grounding and GFCI correctly for electrical safety.
Doubt fire safety will be much of a problem (unless you have flammable insulation or paneling).

Generator can let you get by with less battery and less PV.
Shade may be a problem, especially in winter.
Got a creek for hydro?

Any motor loads, like A/C, water pump, tools? Those are what drive inverter needs.
Hey Thankyou for responding and Thankyou it won’t be rigid for long! Future well pump will be run off of a separate solar system specifically for well pumps.
I do plan on putting a 10,000 btu air conditioner in which is factored into my estimated usage.

Grounding is another topic I’ll save for another thread.
I have two gfcis and they’re both wired up correctly.
Complete metal building raises some questions in my mind.

No streams or creeks near by unfortunately. We do have a spring about 500’ away but it’s in a casing similar to a well.

I’m hoping shade isn’t an issue because I plan to cover %50 of the container with a low pitched roof and %50 with a roof top deck. If shade is an issue….I have a contingency plan.
I have multiple sunny locations in which I can put ground arrays.

Cool project. Good to see some airflow under the container.

lots to learn. You may be able to roof that thing with solar for some shading. Depends on location and shade. Overhead hours count (much) more than morning evening.
Yes I wanted it off the ground and I wanted a minimal footprint. Piers opposed to an entire foundation. Roofs coming soon!

I thought that those containers strictly had to be supported from the casting corners.

I thought that those containers strictly had to be supported from the casting corners.
Yeah you’re right they’re definitely supposed to be supported by the corners.
All though you can sit it on a 6x6 like I did spanning outside to outside of the building. Supported by the outer bottom rails and joists underneath.

I’m pouring a pier footing soon which will be pegged via rebar into a gigantic Boulder which is under the container.
It Should be solid for many years to come.

So I figure a container designed for 61,000 lbs gross weight can probably handle being supported by just its corners, or almost any point, when empty and only 10,000 lbs.

It should stay put in almost any conditions except an earthquake. Just 1/2" or larger bolts to foundation piers and even that wouldn't move it.
PV array could extend like wings without catching too much wind. Some pictures on the forum of other's installations. But if you have sunny open areas for panels that would be good. (Just anchor against blowing over.)
Two containers with roof trusses between them would make a place to park equipment out of the rain. And a sloped mount for panels.
Someone posted links to a variety of hardware which attaches to container corners, to built structures without drilling or welding (good for portability.)

Years ago I bought 6x 8' x 8' containers at auction, real cheap but banged up and not sealing. Rental truck for DIY hauling cost as much as the containers. Two trips with tailgate up to extend beyond 20' flatbed, one chain and binder securing all, amazing they didn't slip off on the road. Couldn't lift with my wimpy backhoe, but managed to lift and drag I think with elbow of backhoe and get to the ground. Then I skidded up dirt road with crawler. Did I say I was younger and stupider then?

So I figure a container designed for 61,000 lbs gross weight can probably handle being supported by just its corners, or almost any point, when empty and only 10,000 lbs.

It should stay put in almost any conditions except an earthquake. Just 1/2" or larger bolts to foundation piers and even that wouldn't move it.
PV array could extend like wings without catching too much wind. Some pictures on the forum of other's installations. But if you have sunny open areas for panels that would be good. (Just anchor against blowing over.)
Two containers with roof trusses between them would make a place to park equipment out of the rain. And a sloped mount for panels.
Someone posted links to a variety of hardware which attaches to container corners, to built structures without drilling or welding (good for portability.)

Years ago I bought 6x 8' x 8' containers at auction, real cheap but banged up and not sealing. Rental truck for DIY hauling cost as much as the containers. Two trips with tailgate up to extend beyond 20' flatbed, one chain and binder securing all, amazing they didn't slip off on the road. Couldn't lift with my wimpy backhoe, but managed to lift and drag I think with elbow of backhoe and get to the ground. Then I skidded up dirt road with crawler. Did I say I was younger and stupider then?
I love it.
It sounds like you know what you’re doing in life.
I’m glad I’m not the only one.

These were designed to be shipped over seas and stacked on top of one another.

It’s amazing how easily the boxes will move with a big machine. I used a larger skid steer to move mine around and I leveled it up with a 60 ton jack. That was also sketchy.
It fell off my jack a few times almost tipped over. I’ve got videos of it.

I’m waiting for a local concrete plant to open up and then I’m going to get 4 yards of concrete and pour some nice big blocks with some 1/2 rebar and 1/2 anchors like you said.
It won’t go anywhere. we haven’t had an earthquake in my area in 60 years knock on wood.
I was considering doing a larger container build with multiple containers and a huge roof but I weighed out the cost of a hand built hand milled lumber home (aka) timber framed and it’s way cheaper per sq ft for me Personally because I’m a wood worker and I do tree work so long story short

I’ll mill my own lumber/dry it/ build with it.
I’m going to do that instead of my original 4 container build idea.
I’m still following through with my single 45’ self sustainable shipping container….it’ll be a guest house after I build my timber framed home.

Attachments

• 623CF51C-FBA3-48E6-BEA7-C53E7B498031.jpeg
    623CF51C-FBA3-48E6-BEA7-C53E7B498031.jpeg
    65.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 678672E6-8E94-4D91-A6A8-5BDDB3355D5D.jpeg
    678672E6-8E94-4D91-A6A8-5BDDB3355D5D.jpeg
    97.6 KB · Views: 12
  • EACCAEB3-D9D7-4EC9-B7A2-4B0CF98DCCB9.jpeg
    EACCAEB3-D9D7-4EC9-B7A2-4B0CF98DCCB9.jpeg
    63.1 KB · Views: 11
I have a container that self-sustains I guess. 9 275 watt panels. 3S3P. (one is flat on the other part of the roof). 3 240 AMP hour 8D in parralell at 12 volts. 80 amp charger, RV transfer switch and 3000 watt AIMS inverter and 100 AMP epever MPPT.

3000 watt Yamaha 3000 ISEB hooked to a 120 gallon remote tank and managed by a Tycon TPDIN. Self starts based on whatever parameters I set. It keeps the batteries topped up during winter months and when I am there using stuff. The solar keeps up good during these long summer days but short winter days and rain necessitates a generator. I have cameras monitoring the place so I have a constant 50 watt draw when I am not there.

2 750 gallon water tanks for capturing rainwater. . Takagi on demand and dual seaflow water pumps. 2 10' filters and UV light to finish.

Washer, Dryer, Kitchen, shower, Flush toilet, Propane range, Microwave, compressor fridge blah blah blah.

I went with seperate charger, transfer switch, solar charger, and inverter because if one component fails in an all-in-one, you're out all 4 components.

20220415_191724.jpg20210327_153134.jpg20211108_114507.jpg

Yeah you’re right they’re definitely supposed to be supported by the corners.
All though you can sit it on a 6x6 like I did spanning outside to outside of the building. Supported by the outer bottom rails and joists underneath.

I’m pouring a pier footing soon which will be pegged via rebar into a gigantic Boulder which is under the container.
It Should be solid for many years to come.
Its fine. As I am sure you know, you don't want to support it in the middle, just keep the support towards the ends so it lays naturally.

On a 45', I would support it at the 40' castings. Make sure and keep the entire container at least 6" off the ground. You're well beyond that obviously. This prevents condensation inside.

This applies to any cabin but do not make openings in the floor where rodents can get through. If you do, seal them up with wire mesh coated in mortar. (seal the openings with mortar, rodents can't chew through it).

I have a container that self-sustains I guess. 9 275 watt panels. 3S3P. (one is flat on the other part of the roof). 3 240 AMP hour 8D in parralell at 12 volts. 80 amp charger, RV transfer switch and 3000 watt AIMS inverter and 100 AMP epever MPPT.

3000 watt Yamaha 3000 ISEB hooked to a 120 gallon remote tank and managed by a Tycon TPDIN. Self starts based on whatever parameters I set. It keeps the batteries topped up during winter months and when I am there using stuff. The solar keeps up good during these long summer days but short winter days and rain necessitates a generator. I have cameras monitoring the place so I have a constant 50 watt draw when I am not there.

2 750 gallon water tanks for capturing rainwater. . Takagi on demand and dual seaflow water pumps. 2 10' filters and UV light to finish.

Washer, Dryer, Kitchen, shower, Flush toilet, Propane range, Microwave, compressor fridge blah blah blah.

I went with seperate charger, transfer switch, solar charger, and inverter because if one component fails in an all-in-one, you're out all 4 components.

View attachment 97685View attachment 97686View attachment 97687
Wait a minute. This is so cool. Where are you located?

“So I figure a container designed for 61,000 lbs gross weight can probably handle being supported by just its corners, or almost any point, when empty and only 10,000 lbs.”

Not sure this is correct. There is a lot of engineering in there. Corners are designed for load. Web not so much. Can fail, warp, twist if not loaded as intended.

I love it.
It sounds like you know what you’re doing in life.
I’m glad I’m not the only one.

These were designed to be shipped over seas and stacked on top of one another.

It’s amazing how easily the boxes will move with a big machine. I used a larger skid steer to move mine around and I leveled it up with a 60 ton jack. That was also sketchy.
It fell off my jack a few times almost tipped over. I’ve got videos of it.

I’m waiting for a local concrete plant to open up and then I’m going to get 4 yards of concrete and pour some nice big blocks with some 1/2 rebar and 1/2 anchors like you said.
It won’t go anywhere. we haven’t had an earthquake in my area in 60 years knock on wood.
I was considering doing a larger container build with multiple containers and a huge roof but I weighed out the cost of a hand built hand milled lumber home (aka) timber framed and it’s way cheaper per sq ft for me Personally because I’m a wood worker and I do tree work so long story short

I’ll mill my own lumber/dry it/ build with it.
I’m going to do that instead of my original 4 container build idea.
I’m still following through with my single 45’ self sustainable shipping container….it’ll be a guest house after I build my timber framed home.
You're making the right choice. Doing anything beyond a single shipping container build makes absolutely no sense.

Unless it's just strictly for the love of containers and an artistic/architectural statement, you gain nothing using them in that manner

Back