diy solar

diy solar

Self sustainable shipping container

“So I figure a container designed for 61,000 lbs gross weight can probably handle being supported by just its corners, or almost any point, when empty and only 10,000 lbs.”

Not sure this is correct. There is a lot of engineering in there. Corners are designed for load. Web not so much. Can fail, warp, twist if not loaded as intended.

What do you mean? Do you deal with containers often? Built anything out of one?

“So I figure a container designed for 61,000 lbs gross weight can probably handle being supported by just its corners, or almost any point, when empty and only 10,000 lbs.”

Not sure this is correct. There is a lot of engineering in there. Corners are designed for load. Web not so much. Can fail, warp, twist if not loaded as intended.
Try twisting a shipping container. I’ve chopped mine up pretty good and haven’t seen any warping or twisting yet. I reinforced my openings just like any other building. Jack studs&headers&sill plate.

You're making the right choice. Doing anything beyond a single shipping container build makes absolutely no sense.

Unless it's just strictly for the love of containers and an artistic/architectural statement, you gain nothing using them in that manner
EXACTLY! That was a tough pill to swallow at first but yeah that’s exactly my conclusion as well.

You're making the right choice. Doing anything beyond a single shipping container build makes absolutely no sense.

Unless it's just strictly for the love of containers and an artistic/architectural statement, you gain nothing using them in that manner
I attached a picture of my current interior layout with cabinets and what not. It’s super comfortable for my usage.
How do you like the rainwater?
I’m definitely considering making a system for harvesting similar to your set up until I can afford my $20,000 well

Attachments

• 5F6D4C7A-4706-425A-9264-F6E87C95CFB3.jpeg
    5F6D4C7A-4706-425A-9264-F6E87C95CFB3.jpeg
    256.8 KB · Views: 39
Its fine. As I am sure you know, you don't want to support it in the middle, just keep the support towards the ends so it lays naturally.

On a 45', I would support it at the 40' castings. Make sure and keep the entire container at least 6" off the ground. You're well beyond that obviously. This prevents condensation inside.

This applies to any cabin but do not make openings in the floor where rodents can get through. If you do, seal them up with wire mesh coated in mortar. (seal the openings with mortar, rodents can't chew through it).
I appreciate you saying this because it is most definitely a more appropriate load bearing point from the 40’ casting opposed to the 45’ casting.

I currently have it at exactly 6” off the ground on low side and 40ish inches on high side

I attached a picture of my current interior layout with cabinets and what not. It’s super comfortable for my usage.

Proper orifices and anything else to use stove on propane?
No range hood? (I only got mine going 20 years later.)

Natural gas lighter than air, propane heavier than air. Each has its issues regarding buildup of explosive concentrations.
I know some appliances are convertible.
My new stove has electric spark ignitor. I could imagine gas rising vs. falling affecting how well that works.

CO sensor?
I installed one, only went off one time when I forgot oven and it ran all night.

Proper orifices and anything else to use stove on propane?
No range hood? (I only got mine going 20 years later.)

Natural gas lighter than air, propane heavier than air. Each has its issues regarding buildup of explosive concentrations.
I know some appliances are convertible.
My new stove has electric spark ignitor. I could imagine gas rising vs. falling affecting how well that works.

CO sensor?
I installed one, only went off one time when I forgot oven and it ran all night.

Yes! I swapped all my offices out for the proper propane ones. Definitely important.
First time for me. I enjoyed it. Originally they were natural gas which is not in my area.

Yes, I have a co sensor and a smoke detector and a fire extinguisher inside and outside. I don’t enjoy unwanted fires.
I have a shutoff valve on the gas line going into the container and a shutoff valve on my tank of course.

I’m still looking for a decent range hood that I like style wise.
They’re definitely necessary.
I had a home without a vent fan and it wasn’t the most pleasant cooking experience.

How do you like the rainwater?
I’m definitely considering making a system for harvesting similar to your set up until I can afford my $20,000 well
Rainwater is easy. Gotta factor in power consumption of the UV bulb though. It has no odor, no minerals, no chlorine, no nothing. It tastes good and doesn't leave spots.

Last edited:
Rainwater is easy. Gotta factor in power consumption of the UV bulb though. It has no odor, no minerals, no chlorine, no nothing. It tastes good and doesn't leave spots.
I’m definitely going to do a rainwater system. It’s great for many different things. Once my solar system is set up I’m going to start experimenting and tinkering with that.
I gotta wait until I get enough cash to get a well drilled. $20k

Wow that’s a very large machine lol
I’m assuming this picture is original
And you painted yours tan?
It was APL blue and I painted that tan color to blend into it's environment better. Its also in a highly corrossive environment so I wanted to get another coating on there.

Here it is at my house before pressure washing and then painting it.

Metal shutters close and lock over all the windows and doors to protect it from vandalism when I am not there.
20200531_203518 (1).jpg

I’m definitely going to do a rainwater system. It’s great for many different things. Once my solar system is set up I’m going to start experimenting and tinkering with that.
I gotta wait until I get enough cash to get a well drilled. $20k
Crappy picture. Here is the door end. The water pumps are in the compartment below. The water flows from the tanks barely visible on the right side into a Rusco spin down 100 mesh filter, then into the pumps, then into the lower "big blue" which contains a 5 micron filter, then into the uppper one which contains a .5 Micron carbon block filter then into the 36" UV bulb which is hidden the open door then into the Takagi for hot water if needed.

The lower right is the dryer vent, next to that is where you hook up a propane bottle, upper right is the plumbing vent. Far upper left is the bathroom fan outlet. I have a generator and city water inlet on the lower left. These are just backups and were for testing when I had it at home.

If the solar and generator ever quit, you can quickly hook up a little honda or whatever to the 30 amp power inlet and continue your stay.

Edit: Found a better photo showing the UV sterilizer

20220610_052507.jpg

In no particular order.

Self explanatory other than there 3 queen beds. One in up the little ladder. Under that one down the hall, there is another the "minecraft" cave and then master bed in the back.

Above that first queen bed are two twin beds.

All craigslist free or cheap stuff including all appliances. Modified if needed and reconditioned as best as possible.

These are "under construction" photos so there is still punch list stuff (trim, shelves etc) yet to be installed.
20211211_181102.jpg20201205_211536.jpg20200424_222737.jpg20200424_222638.jpg20200424_222914.jpg20200424_222832.jpg20200927_153055.jpg

One more photo you might enjoy. Wood stove, control panel for solar, winches, inverter etc. This shows how the range hood/microwave vents.

The wood burning stove has some 4" ductwork to carry the heat back to the minecraft cave, master bedroom and the opposite direction over to the bathroom/Laundry room. 20211211_181050 (2).jpg

I thought that those containers strictly had to be supported from the casting corners.
If you want to reduce deflection and bounce while walking around inside then you need intermediate supports-- especially when you start cutting openings for doors and windows.

If you want to reduce deflection and bounce while walking around inside then you need intermediate supports-- especially when you start cutting openings for doors and windows.

That wasn't my personal experience.

You can tune the resonant frequency to taste.

1654967369090.png

1654967414024.png

Some designs have been reported to be bouncy.
I think making a composite with concrete could dampen that quite a bit. e.g. weld on screen, attach chicken wire, apply stucco.

Back