diy solar

diy solar

Senberry EVE LF280 transactions

I found 1.8 Ohms resisters as I just described 20 miles from me on Ebay so I bought a open bag of 66 resistors for $50.00 USD I got all excited about my great find and went to the online calculator I entered .18 Ohms and 3 volts. Later that night went to check the order and realized my mistake but didn't want to cancel the order, Now I'm thinking I can put them in series to get some of the load that I need.

Well if you put 10 of them in // you'll have the 180 mOhm resistor you wanted ;)

I can also use switched, single resistors to fine tune the load. Does this make sense?

Yep, more resistors = more power discharging the cell, super simple.

Years ago I build a 12 volt load bank from a 120 vac 1200 watt space heater by cutting the element into 10 equal links to make 12 volt heat elements. I may have to find a cheap used heater and do the same but cut them into 40 equal lengths for 3 volt elements. As I remember, it is was a pain to make a good connection to ring terminals.

I actually had the exact same idea... easy way to connect them is to pinch between two nuts on a bolt or threaded rods as you can't solder them (even if you could they would desolder themselves when getting hot anyway...)

One other thing who works well, easy too build and cheap, is to use steel wire (or even better stainless steel) immersed in a water bucket. You can dump incredible amounts of energy into it as water is very effective at cooling the wire and it'll boil (and it takes lots of energy to boil water) so you can't really overload it (well you always can but I think it's plenty good for what you want to do) ;)

Here is the link to the resistors I bought. Might have to scroll down a bit. https://www.ebay.com/itm/66-Sei-Sta...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Ah... that's why I asked what resistors you used: the aluminium body ones can't handle more than 1/3 (or even 1/4, can't remember exactly) of their power rating withouth being mounted on an heatsink. Ideally you want to use the ceramic because they can handle their rating in free air (they'll be extremely hot tho, be careful), like those:

5165e344ce395ff93e000000.jpg

But in general try to stay under 1/2 or 2/3 at most of the rating of any resistor, they'll run much cooler and have a longer life with less risks of burning you ;)

I made a very basic cell tester/cycler that used 15 inch legs of .032 stainless safety wire in a drum of water that worked perfectly. I had two copper pipes held 15" apart by PVC pipes, drilled small holes in the pipes and used #8 stainless screws to attach the wires, each 15" length of wire is about 5 amps of load.
The simple tester design I posted is here: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/e...ld-instructions-supply-list-and-diagram.2008/

At 04:30 this morning I was out in the shop dinking around with a spool of .035 SS welding wire. Great minds think alike...:unsure: how the hell did I get into this conversation:cool:. How can you limit current to a resistor. If its any more complicated than OFF or ON that resistor aint gonna resist very long. around my shop.

Steve Willey of Backwoods Solar Electric taught me about the heat element in 1984. He and Elizbeth have retired, but the company is still going. Not affiliated any longer just old friends.

The Juntec 1300 I was trying to use was not up to the task for this application. I rigged it up to a cell and powered it up...it was counting current @ 787 amps and accumulating with no load applied. Spent way too much time trying to re-calibrate it with no luck. Voltage was easy to calibrate to my multi meter, but when disconnected from 12 volt power it went back to factory defaults. Oh well, live and learn. Sometimes ya just live.

I made a very basic cell tester/cycler that used 15 inch legs of .032 stainless safety wire in a drum of water that worked perfectly. I had two copper pipes held 15" apart by PVC pipes, drilled small holes in the pipes and used #8 stainless screws to attach the wires, each 15" length of wire is about 5 amps of load.
The simple tester design I posted is here: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/e...ld-instructions-supply-list-and-diagram.2008/
I built a jig to test the meter Maast is using. It is a very simple A/H meter and quite accurate. Voltage readings are always lower, but within 5Mv of my Kline MM600. The current readings are very close mathematically and with the MM600. The A/H calculator is 99.1% accurate when you divide time by current.

The cell I am using to test all of my components prior to actual cell testing is the cell that arrived with a dent and being replaced by Senberry. When this phase of testing is complete and the replacement cell has gone through it's testing, I intend to open the dented cell and photo document "How It's Made" I can't wait for that part!!!

Also, I am modifying my position on single cell balancing. 3 days (open circuit) after my initial single cell balance there was a 55Mv difference from the high of 3.419 to the low of 3.364 so I paralleled all cells for an additional 3 days. After another 3 days open circuit the spread is 3.415 to 3.401 I think can live with that. Cell 8 is the lowest cell and at the time of posting reads .10m♎ random sampling of the other cells is .12m♎
Room temp is 77f-78f.

Can you all see any errors or omissions?

20201001_192248.jpg

Nice looking setup. For a capacity test, the jig needs to pull down .2C (56amps). How close is it to that value?

Thank you. The entire circuit is about 27 amps discharge and 18.2 amps recharge. This was only built to test the meter so I can proceed to .5C tests. I didn't document charge or discharge data of the cell.

1st order 07-12-2020 4 cells EVE LF280. Total price to my door with shipping and all taxes and fees $376.00 USD
2nd order 07-13-2020 12 cells EVE LF280. Total price to my door with shipping and all taxes and fees $1128.00 USD
3rd order 09-12-2020 32 cells EVE LF280. Total price to my door with shipping and all taxes and fees $3012.00 USD (Shipping delayed)

The first 2 orders were shipped together. From date of order to tracking number was 10 days. They arrived 09-02-2020.
3 of the boxes were in good condition with (all things considered) and well packed. One box had a torn corner.

Visual inspection of the cells found 1 cell with a dent in the corner and in the middle of the cell. After a few posts on the Alibaba messaging system, Mr Dao, the owner of Senberry sent a new cell. it is in transit. He gave me the wrong tracking number. I was frustrated to say the least, but he apologized over and over. He was always checking with me to see if they had arrived.Open Circuit Voltage of the cells were all reasonable when compared to each other with only a few mv spread. The measuerments of the cells match EVEs specs. I did notice that on a few of cells that one of the wide sides is very slightly concave and the other was slightly bowed out.

Included in the purchase were stainless steel studs, nuts and nickel plated copper cell interconnects. The studs and nuts are of good quality. The cell interconnects suck, they are very thin, narrow. I will not use them.
The US dime is there for a reference and is appx. 1mm larger that the cell terminal and about 1mm thinner than the cell interconnect. Notice all of the un-used contact patch.

View attachment 23027

Top Balance charge was done with a 1s 3.65VDC CC/CV 10 amp charger. The OCV of the chrarger is 3.656 vdc. The current was measured with a clamp meter at 9.77 amps all the way through the charge. Each cell was charged independently. Some went to 3.656 in as little as 10 minuets while others took up to 76 minuets. I also noticed that once the cells reached 3.4 vdc the mv rose at about 1mv every every 15 seconds and at about 3.55vdc the mv rose at 1mv per second. It is my belief that this method of top balancing is the most accurate, but you can not leave the charger connected for long periods of time at 3.656 because LFP cells will overcharge.

Internal resistance readings are consistent @ 0.16m/ohms to 0.17m/ohms in all 16 cells after top balance charge.

About Mr. Dao. I am not affiliated with him except as a customer, however, w have conversed many many times at all hours of his night and my day. We are 12 hours apart. some of our chats got personal which I initiated so I could get to know the man I was sending thousands of dollars to half way around the world. He is full of piss and vinegar like I was at his age. He is 27 years old, his Grandmother is 75 years old,he failed English at university. When I told him my age he started calling me Sir. He is very aggressive in his business and has sold 2000 cells since August. I told him about his cell interconnects and he is looking for better ones, I am looking for him as well. I have plenty of 1" x 1/8" copper bars.

Yesterday I was shopping Alibaba to purchase other components but the shipping was ridiculous. I asked Mr Dao if he would ship them for me with the current shipment of my batteries. He said Yes so I made my purchase with the other vendor. They charged me $11.00 USD to ship the components across town to Mr. Daos facality saving me about $150.00 USD. This is what caused the delayed shipment.

Please forgive my punctuation and spelling as I failed English too!
Look like very good prices. Wonder where you ship to. I am in California USA, and know DIY Solar Forum has folks from all over the world. :+)

My newest acquisition. Fluke 289. I know it's overkill for my current needs, but if I were to test batteries for a bit profit I'll have a bench quality meter that can do anything asked of it.

Fluke 289.jpg

Last edited:
I tend to forget that. I'm in SW Florida.
OK .. with Hoop Jump through USA customs to you door with no unexpected other fees or problems? ... JUST NOTICING: Your
4 cells EVE LF280. Total price to (your) door with shipping and all taxes and fees $376.00 USD & 2nd order 07-13-2020 12 cells EVE LF280. Total price to door with shipping and all taxes and fees $1128.00 USD. Those are the best prices I have seen. Wow!

OK .. with Hoop Jump through USA customs to you door with no unexpected other fees or problems? ... JUST NOTICING: Your
4 cells EVE LF280. Total price to (your) door with shipping and all taxes and fees $376.00 USD & 2nd order 07-13-2020 12 cells EVE LF280. Total price to door with shipping and all taxes and fees $1128.00 USD. Those are the best prices I have seen. Wow!
Hey there Capt.

Yes, I get a good price from Senberry. However, I do not require a video of him checking voltage and IR or my name to be in the video. Those "hoops" and "extensive testing" are absolutely irrelevant at this point in the transaction. They are just a snap shot in time.

Hey there Capt.

Yes, I get a good price from Senberry. However, I do not require a video of him checking voltage and IR or my name to be in the video. Those "hoops" and "extensive testing" are absolutely irrelevant at this point in the transaction. They are just a snap shot in time.
Do you recall the shipping price per kg? I know in the beginning Dao was quoting $4.00 per kg, but then realized he had made a mistake and raised it to $5.00 or $6.00 per kg.

Doesn't matter what he charges for shipping. Doesn't matter what he charges per cell. It's the total cost per cell landed at my door that matters to me.

Doesn't matter what he charges for shipping. Doesn't matter what he charges per cell. It's the total cost per cell landed at my door that matters to me.
I believe my question was a fair one. The shipping cost might not matter to you but I am sure it matters to others. The only reason you got the price you did is because he honored the $4.00 per kg shipping rate. Very shortly after he realized his mistake, he raised not only the shipping charge but the price of the cell. That was fair enough.

My point is if anyone requests a quote from Senberry don't expect to get the same deal you did. And don't expect to get EVE cells either...lol. Last I heard he is out of them and is selling Lishens but that was a few weeks ago.

Hey folks. I have had a personal set back so I am on hold for further testing. I did receive the additional 32 LF280 cells, 32 Lishen 272A/H and 16 20 amp 1s 3.65v chargers that i mentioned in prior posts. All arrived in good condition after a quick look in the boxes. Senberry also sent the replacement cell I requested at no charge.

Back