diy solar

diy solar

Separate charge and inverters or AIO ?

Quattrohead

Solar Wizard
What is the best in terms of long term reliability and ease of use and repair/replace to run a whole home offline ?
I can handle wiring anything up and configuring settings.
Also why would you cobble together a battery system when the pre built packs seem to end up the same price ?

I want redundancy and Mrs QH want's it all to work like we are hooked up.

The higher-end aio units will last and work well. And there’s other things you may need that the top-tier brands will have compatible equipment for.

I like separate components: I like that if something smokes up it’s only one part to replace instead of everything being dead. But I mostly think smaller systems.

If I were off-gridding a whole house system I’d start by planning figure out what the needs (loads) are and go from there. Because the answer you like (or I like) may be entirely different than the answer that best meets the goals. Begin with the end in mind.

Reasonably large whole house systems can be built from separate components and you could conceivably have a backup ‘on the shelf’ if redundancy is important. Or, two moderate systems side by each can be set up so you always have ‘something’ if one has a chicken dance. Basically one big battery bank being charged by two solar inputs and being drawn off by two inverters.

So I hate to sound like the backseat parrot- but what are you running? There’s a link to performing an energy audit on this site that you should review to know where to begin. Then wisdom and perhaps money will inform your plan.

Back