diy solar

diy solar

Separating circuits from the grid

Hey JeepHammer, I just happen to have 3 6030 Franceformer neon transformers if you want to make arcs again. One looks to have been connected at some point, the other two are packed in bubble wrap. They are yours for the shipping cost. Just need to get rid of them.

There ya go, you are smart and you can do it, look at your diagram, use a pencil!
My cad system:
2020-01-28.png
How to determine how many WYE connectors for parallel connections.
The thing that looks like a 6 is my idea to adjust the angle of my panels on the rack.
img001.jpg
How 2 WYE's are less expensive than 1 3WAY connector.
Also, how in the end what a string is to the inverter.
img002.jpg

And Young Frankenstein is the inspiration for my knife switch, which I happen to use to change from grid to off-grid.

Humor doesn't come across very well on the internet for some reason, someone always takes it the wrong way.

That scene always reminded me of when I was 7 to 15 years old, I built a BUNCH of Tesla coils and Jacobs Ladders, when EVERYTHING had a big transformer with lots and lots of lacquer insulated bell wire in them, the dumps were full of them and I was a salvaging fool!
If you could lay hands on a big neon sign transformer, that was GOLD to a DIY builder wanting to make electrical arcs.

If you have ANY interest in things like Jacobs Ladders and Tesla coils, I suggest you download this book and have a look...
You might be surprised how easy this stuff is to build.
.pdf link https://books.googleusercontent.com...7sLKYKZuy6KN5YD-B-lxo5uDC1Rfj2k0VeSSO_Q7Hk8dT

I got my first copy about 6 years old and learned to read so I could build this stuff!
I used to make crystal radios & some of the other stuff, nice finished hardwood, bright brass thumbscrew terminals, etc and sell them at antique fairs to get my business started when I first got disabled, I could build this stuff from a wheelchair.

No one does 'Kids Crafts' like this anymore, probably liability issues (You'll burn your eyebrows off kid!)
And today's generation can't look up from the cell phone long enough to do anything creative/constructive...

~ I agree that typing certainly lacks in key voice inflection, facial and posture cues which makes it more difficult to cop a guffaw.
~ Never made a Jacob's ladder but by default of living minimal grid along with minimal expendable income, you just gotta be a hobbyist if you want to grow, build or repair anything!

My cad system:
View attachment 6081
How to determine how many WYE connectors for parallel connections.
The thing that looks like a 6 is my idea to adjust the angle of my panels on the rack.
View attachment 6082
How 2 WYE's are less expensive than 1 3WAY connector.
Also, how in the end what a string is to the inverter.
View attachment 6083

And Young Frankenstein is the inspiration for my knife switch, which I happen to use to change from grid to off-grid.
What a GREAT article you included, https://www.solacity.com/how-to-keep-lifepo4-lithium-ion-batteries-happy/ by Solacity; they use plain language and even a bit of humor to clearly and concisely explain. ~ Your lego modellling is great by the way, so realistic .. ~ "WYE", is that a Delta Wye sort of thing that you are referring to?

I created what I call my "Wall-in-123" system. A tongue in cheek reference to the fact that a so-called "All-in-one" is only about a third of what you need. I eventually intent to integrate a version of this in my home where, being a flat, I have no PV & our only electricity provider makes grid-tie-in out of the question. The idea is to run all my light-load (non-heating) off an affordable battery during the day & charge it on cheap rate at night, while maintaining all heavy-load (hot water, oven) directly from the grid. The whole light-load ring will be solely on the all-in-one inverter and completely separate from the grid powered heavy-load-spurs. Thus no gird back-feed tie in. The all-in-one acts as a UPS so if the battery runs too low, it charges FROM the grid (never back-feeding).

As I figured this might be a popular use case (in niche terms) I designed & built it to be an easy module to retro-fit. The test case went a bit further as it's a domestic barge. In this case the 'grid' is the occasional shore-line which is one feed to an ATS with the all-in-one output being the other feed. The ATS output feeds an otherwise normal domestic power panel. There's also 48, 24 & 12v DC taps to suit where needed.
The pic is taken part way through the install. On the floor (where the stairs will slide over)) are 2 white battery boxes (each with 7P7S x 20AH cells, insulation, heat-pads, thermal-cut-offs). The 2 batteries are in series for 7P14S with a PID for the heat-pads, a V/A meter & a low-power BMS with is wired via more thermal cut-offs to a separate 100A SSR on a big heat sink. Above is the shelf which will be the electrics cupboard with the all-in-one on the left and everything-else in the "Wall-in-123" panel on the right (currently on it's side). That whole panel, build on a flame-retardant board, fits within an off-the shelf electric box costing about 50 GBP.

Attachments

• Wall-in-123-installing.JPG
    Wall-in-123-installing.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 13
Humor doesn't come across very well on the internet for some reason, someone always takes it the wrong way.

That scene always reminded me of when I was 7 to 15 years old, I built a BUNCH of Tesla coils and Jacobs Ladders, when EVERYTHING had a big transformer with lots and lots of lacquer insulated bell wire in them, the dumps were full of them and I was a salvaging fool!
If you could lay hands on a big neon sign transformer, that was GOLD to a DIY builder wanting to make electrical arcs.

If you have ANY interest in things like Jacobs Ladders and Tesla coils, I suggest you download this book and have a look...
You might be surprised how easy this stuff is to build.
.pdf link https://books.googleusercontent.com...7sLKYKZuy6KN5YD-B-lxo5uDC1Rfj2k0VeSSO_Q7Hk8dT

I got my first copy about 6 years old and learned to read so I could build this stuff!
I used to make crystal radios & some of the other stuff, nice finished hardwood, bright brass thumbscrew terminals, etc and sell them at antique fairs to get my business started when I first got disabled, I could build this stuff from a wheelchair.

No one does 'Kids Crafts' like this anymore, probably liability issues (You'll burn your eyebrows off kid!)
And today's generation can't look up from the cell phone long enough to do anything creative/constructive...
Kids still do kids' stuff. It is just different kids' stuff than we used to do. My equally old friend would bemoan how his kid was always at his keyboard then he got a GOOD job at Apple. Better than fixing bicycles like I did.

Back