diy solar

diy solar

Seplos BMS and RS485 coms to PC

When I connect it starts up for a few seconds the battery monitor reads the BMS then the BMS shuts down. Is there a way of finding out why?

When I connect it starts up for a few seconds the battery monitor reads the BMS then the BMS shuts down. Is there a way of finding out why?
do you have everything connected according to the manual ( lead wire and all ) ?

do you have everything connected according to the manual ( lead wire and all ) ?
I believe so, b+ to battery negative and b- to battery negative. Other two have not been connected up to inverter yet.
RS485
Green -> GND
Orange -> A
Brown -> B

LCD into LCD slot, that lights up with “Battery Management” and then goes off

I believe so, b+ to battery negative and b- to battery negative. Other two have not been connected up to inverter yet.
RS485
Green -> GND
Orange -> A
Brown -> B

LCD into LCD slot, that lights up with “Battery Management” and then goes off
i was reffering to the balancing harnass

Ok, I thought I’d attached photo of monitor when it started. It shows all 16 cells with voltage.

Attachments

• 4C4DEB35-D3B7-4F6B-ACC5-260D26C39701.jpeg
    4C4DEB35-D3B7-4F6B-ACC5-260D26C39701.jpeg
    339.2 KB · Views: 94
I finally got mine communicating. What a mess for a non-computer guru. Then it only has 150mA bal current. No thanks. That's my first and last two.

Last edited:
I'm having similar problems as well. I just checked both of my Waveshare adapters and I don't see the same numbers
Here are voltage measurements at the BMS 485 connector with nothing plugged in.
A= pin 2 or 7
B= pin 1 or 8
G= pin 3 or 6

A to B = ~5 volts, positive at A
A to G = ~5 volts, positive at A
B to G =about 0.015 volts, positive at B

Taken with an analog meter. This is the last thing I think of for remote help. It's tough when you don't have spares to swap in. I've been fighting an intermittent A/V problem at our church for 6 months, without spares for the expensive stuff. It's maddening!
I'm having similar problems as the OP as well. I just checked both of my Waveshare adapters and I don't see the same numbers @tigerwillow1 posted. I think one of the adapters is dead because I don't see any voltage on A+ or B- to each other or ground (even though I see the TX light flicker on intervals.)

The other one shows:
A+ to B- ~5V
A+ to G minimal positive voltage
B- to G minimal negative voltage

I do see the meter jump on TX, but only about 20-30 mV.

I'm having similar problems as well. I just checked both of my Waveshare adapters and I don't see the same numbers

I'm having similar problems as the OP as well. I just checked both of my Waveshare adapters and I don't see the same numbers @tigerwillow1 posted. I think one of the adapters is dead because I don't see any voltage on A+ or B- to each other or ground (even though I see the TX light flicker on intervals.)

The other one shows:
A+ to B- ~5V
A+ to G minimal positive voltage
B- to G minimal negative voltage

I do see the meter jump on TX, but only about 20-30 mV.
Bought a new USB to RS485 adapter and it works now, albeit at 9600 baud (odd.) I can see individual packs as well as packs connected in series (set via dip switches.)

Can anyone help me out here? Having the same issue. I bought the Mason DIY pack and its not connecting via an RJ45 adaptor. I know the adaptor works as I've used it my Pylontechs in the past. I just get the "Time Out" issue

did use the correct baudrate ?
depending on the version you have , this can be 19200 or 9600

did use the correct baudrate ?
depending on the version you have , this can be 19200 or 9600
Also do I really need to connect to the BMS to use it? Or can I just use as is? I get people want to see what's happening a tweak settings. But is it really needed?

Also do I really need to connect to the BMS to use it? Or can I just use as is? I get people want to see what's happening a tweak settings. But is it really needed?
you can use it as is, however , individual cell monitoring, tweakering of initial settings, and changing comm protocols will require connecting to it

you can use it as is, however , individual cell monitoring, tweakering of initial settings, and changing comm protocols will require connecting to it
I guess that's a positive, rather than leaving it around I can at least put it to work on my Sofar ME3000SP. I've got Pylontechs so I should be able to swap them. Hopefully the protocol is already set to Pylon. Otherwise I'll have to keep trying to get the BMS to connect

So I need to build a new cable. According to Seplos my cable that works with Pylontech won't work with their BMS... The connector will arrive tomorrow then I'll make my own Ethernet out with the right pins. Hassle

So I need to build a new cable. According to Seplos my cable that works with Pylontech won't work with their BMS... The connector will arrive tomorrow then I'll make my own Ethernet out with the right pins. Hassle
Please share the pinouts for the cable Seplos suggested

Back