diy solar

diy solar

Seplos CAN BUS RS485 48v 200A 8S-16S BMS

Nice. Any reviews or videos that you are aware of?
I am looking at making three parallel strings of 16s/48v/EVE Grade-A 280Ah for a DIY powerwall and using one of the 200a bms on each string.

If the videos I've seen are accurate, this BMS should be able to communicate to a Growatt Inverter.

Nice. Any reviews or videos that you are aware of?
I am looking at making three parallel strings of 16s/48v/EVE Grade-A 280Ah for a DIY powerwall and using one of the 200a bms on each string.

If the videos I've seen are accurate, this BMS should be able to communicate to a Growatt Inverter.
it can, and has been tested for victron, growatt and deye/sunsynk/sol-ark.
they are working on getting the bms to communicate to the inverter on the rs485 bus too.
for now im using a raspberry pi to do the translation between canbus and rs485

This is interesting, and I don't have a solution for everyone. butttt... I plan on using the CAN protocol with my home automation [Home Assistant ] to monitor the batteries and modbus protocol to do monitoring and control of my Victron Multiplus. I already have the modbus connection working such that I have a live display and an automation the tells you when the battery is running low through my Sonos speakers in the house.
View attachment 55991
Are there any ready-made inverters in this system? Or did you write the Modbus tables themselves? Are there any ready-made solutions for the Inverter?

they are working on getting the bms to communicate to the inverter on the rs485 bus too.
Can you please tell me which program you use to transfer from CAN to RS485?

Am I understanding correctly, this is just an interface converter, and the protocol does not need to be converted?
I have done a lot with RS 485, but never came across a CAN bus.
when using pylontech ( pending if inverter support this ) , nothing additional was needed ( in my case anyway)...

It appears I would need a dongle for each bms and monitor each battery separately rather than being able to monitor from one dongle that is daisy chained to multiple batteries. Is this correct? I am looking at two systems of 6 16s batteries each.
you assumption is wrong.
you only need an rs485 connection to the master bms to control all, provided you dont stack more than 6
same goes for your inverter connection ; communication goes throught the master

Can you please give more details regarding this translation between canbus and rs485? what code do you use? I am asking whether my understanding is correct: you acquire data from canbus as string and then you send that string over RS485, right?
I was asking because I am confused: the below file specifies interchange of data over RS485, and it has addresses.
Anyway, if all the information is just broadcasted over RS485 it is ok.

Attachments

• RS485-protocol-pylon-low-voltage-V3.3-20180821.pdf
    966.1 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Hello, someone connected the Seplos BMS to a Growatt inverter of the SPH series?

I have Seplos 16s 150 BMS with 280 Lifepo4 connected to my Growatt 4600 SPH. Works great now:
I connected CAN to CAN with original Pylontech cable.
I have got an firmware update for BMS from Seplos support and selected Growat CAN protocol.

It now shows even cell voltages, all temperature sensors and so on in IO Broker with Growatt Plugin.
So I can see that my Cell 15 has a problem.

Attachments

• Growatt.PNG
    Growatt.PNG
    603.6 KB · Views: 154
I have Seplos 16s 150 BMS with 280 Lifepo4 connected to my Growatt 4600 SPH. Works great now:
I connected CAN to CAN with original Pylontech cable.
I have got an firmware update for BMS from Seplos support and selected Growat CAN protocol.

It now shows even cell voltages, all temperature sensors and so on in IO Broker with Growatt Plugin.
So I can see that my Cell 15 has a problem.
Really nice and simple Grafana dashboard.

Thx. Yes I have an active balancer - this Haltec one - but was to lazy to crimp and connect yet. I know I should do.
My second battery order was not as good as the first ones. I have 2 cells that are bad. Cell 9 always goes down first on discharge quite early.

I already have seen it on the Seplos monitoring tool, but after the CAN connection with Growatt I got all these datas.
Before I used a DALY BMS and had to use the Growatt in lead battery mode. Worked also - but now it is realy great.

Back