diy solar

diy solar

Seplos Mason DIY kit review (4/5)

Has anybody modified the Seplos Mason DIY 280A kit to have a DC breaker instead of the fuse? I like to have something to switch off the battery if needed.
I did that in conjunction with a class T fuse in the 135AH Mason. I don't know what fuse comes with the 280AH Mason, but the MIDI fuse in the 135AH Mason is woefully inadequate IMO. The breaker is sized bigger than the fuse so it hopefully cannot ever trip, as I am not assuming that the breaker is non-polarized. Info and pictures here:
https://diysolarforum.com/threads/s...build-and-operation-report.45357/#post-639333

Damn I didn't even know that existed. I've just placed an order for another Mason, I would have ordered one of those too.
Commenting on the JASSN, which I purchased. I was unable to convince myself that the JASSN breakers are non-polarized and ended up modifying the box to use Midnite Solar breakers that they say are non-polarized and also have a higher voltage rating. The box also has space for the current shunts for my standalone meters. The construction of the box is top-notch, and if the breakers were clearly stated to be non-polarized, I would have kept them. It's the curse of the unknown with line/load markings.

CabinetBreakerBox_1 (Large).jpg

Commenting on the JASSN, which I purchased. I was unable to convince myself that the JASSN breakers are non-polarized and ended up modifying the box to use Midnite Solar breakers that they say are non-polarized and also have a higher voltage rating. The box also has space for the current shunts for my standalone meters. The construction of the box is top-notch, and if the breakers were clearly stated to be non-polarized, I would have kept them. It's the curse of the unknown with line/load markings.

View attachment 138980
Thought the JASSN with the breakers had low amperage bus bars? Maybe this is fine for your application. You did a great job, it looks amazing!

Those big + and - busbars are stock JASSN. The design is to hook up to 3 inverters to the top bolts, and 6 batteries to the bottom bolts, via breakers on the + side..

Those big + and - busbars are stock JASSN. The design is to hook up to 3 inverters to the top bolts, and 6 batteries to the bottom bolts, via breakers on the + side..
Yeah, aren't the busbars in that box only rated for 100A? The bigger JASSN without the breakers supports 300A on the busbars, which is what I'd be after (but, no breakers :( )

HI
Has anybody modified the Seplos Mason DIY 280A kit to have a DC breaker instead of the fuse? I like to have something to switch off the battery if needed.

@podilamaya see here where the fuse was kept in and DC breaker added: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/custom-made-battery-box-for-eve-lf280k-cells.33814/post-614644

and

I'd be weary of that breaker, it doesn't look to be by-directional/no polarity. They can do nasty things like catch fire if they trip with current flowing in the wrong direction, and given its a battery current will flow in both directions. I've use the Z Beny breakers as they are specifically made for PV and are no polarity.

Can anyone advice if pylontech cables will fit the battery connectors? Or what cables / connectors should I buy for this box? Thanks!

No. Pylontech use Amphenol connectors, the Seplos uses Futronics.

Also I've also recently tested the Pylontech BMS cable that comes with the Pylontech 2m cable kit and that didn't work when connecting my Seplos BMS to my Cerbo GX.

To add, you can buy all sizes of Futronics connectors here: https://www.metabee.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=futronics

Although the Pylontech battery cables are only 25mm. The cable provided by Seplos is 50mm cable, which is what you should be using really given it is capable of 200A.

These: https://www.metabee.com/energy-stor...hielded-cable-w-key-fsp840180tw-50u0b1rh.html

Last edited:
Well I would buy cables from seplos if they sell them, would be easier... I need them delivered to Ireland...

That's what I did originally with my first Mason. However I recently placed an order for another kit and was told that as the weight of the cable pushed the shipping price up into a higher bracket, including the cable would bump up the postage considerably. So I just ordered the connectors. I was charged $16 per set if memory serves. So cheaper than Metabee.

How true that is I don't know? Maybe ask for both ways, connectors and full set and weigh it up?

As @houseofancients says they aren't cheap. It would likely work out cheaper to get the connectors and crimp your own. Especially if the extra shipping claims are bonafide.

Last edited:
That's what I did originally with my first Mason. However I recently placed an order for another kit and was told that as the weight of the cable pushed the shipping price up into a higher bracket, including the cable would bump up the postage considerably. So I just ordered the connectors. I was charged $16 pair set if memory serves. So cheaper than Metabee.

How true that is I don't know? Maybe ask for both ways, connectors and full set and weigh it up?

As @houseofancients says they aren't cheap. It would likely work out cheaper to get the connectors and crimp your own. Especially if the extra shipping claims are bonafide.
Thats what I did. I did not trust Metabee, so I went on Alibaba and chatted with Seplos. They shipped just the connectors for the 280ah kit. You are correct, they use Futronics. For 3 orange and 3 black (6 total), their price was $48. Express shipping upped the total to $85. They arrived a few days later.
Those connectors should be included in the kit, or you just have a heavy boat anchor. Big miss on Seplos part if you ask me. They shipped complete cable sets with the four 135ah kits I ordered.

I have a couple of these kits with 280ah eve cells...I like them and would order again, but with shipping of a couple kits and then cables it would be almost as cheap to just order SOK or Keeshee complete kits. I dont mine building the kit, it was pretty interresting and has been working good. I dont have any coms hooked up from battery to battery or can from master battery to inverter. I would rather not have to build the cables if i didnt have to. Oh and default firmware. I am too afraid to to try updating it. the communication part confuses me to this day. The big stuff seems pretty straight forward... red wire goes here, black wire goes here.

Last edited:
I having an issue with the order. Dont use them until I am sure its legit.
How did you get on with Metabee? I need some 25mm Futronic connectors and Metabee is the only place I can seem to find them.

I ordered directly from Seplos instead.

I've tried Seplos, I need the smaller 125A connectors and they don't stock them unfortunately.

Why did you bin Metabee off if you don't mind me asking? I've tried checking out with Paypal but it repeatedly fails, not sure i'd trust just paying with my card given I can find zero feedback about them anywhere.

Back