diy solar

diy solar

Seplos Mason DIY kit review (4/5)

I've tried Seplos, I need the smaller 125A connectors and they don't stock them unfortunately.

Why did you bin Metabee off if you don't mind me asking? I've tried checking out with Paypal but it repeatedly fails, not sure i'd trust just paying with my card given I can find zero feedback about them anywhere.
I was also having issues paying. I wanted to pay via card, but their process was whacky. I discontinued my paypal account, so I am limited to card only.

Thanks. That might be my best option. Buy both the connector and the receptacle and swap them out.
that exactly what id did...
be aware that if you wish to use the bolts that came with your mason kit, you may have to tap them to 1 size bigger ( alternatively use smaller bolts ;-) )

I placed an order with Metabee in the end using Paypal. Changing the receptacles was a good idea, but it turned out the SRNE battery would have taken too much dismantling, so I decided to risk it. Thought I'd update with how I got on as it may prove useful to anyone struggling to source the Futronics connectors down the line.

They took almost 2 weeks to dispatch the order, but their comms were great and they responded instantly when I queried how long it would take for them to dispatch. After dispatch delivery took around a week to arrive and the order was exactly as described. So in total a 3 week turn around to the UK. Very pleased. And relieved.

For those struggling to check out, the trick is to get to the final checkout stage before trying to pay via Paypal or a bank card. Try to checkout early before all your contact info etc are entered and it will fail.

Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question, but does anyone have any experience crimping the right angle Futronics connectors? I assumed they would split apart to be crimped and then fit back together, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I can barely fit the small bit of lug that is exposed inside my Burndy MY29 crimper? I've a creeping suspicion I'm going to need to buy a hydraulic crimper, but will ask nonetheless. Hopefully not.

IMG_7624.jpg

IMG_7625.JPG

Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question, but does anyone have any experience crimping the right angle Futronics connectors? I assumed they would split apart to be crimped and then fit back together, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I can barely fit the small bit of lug that is exposed inside my Burndy MY29 crimper? I've a creeping suspicion I'm going to need to buy a hydraulic crimper, but will ask nonetheless. Hopefully not.

View attachment 150707

View attachment 150708
have only used hydrolic crimpers..

have only used hydrolic crimpers..

I might have to bite the bullet and buy a set. My Burndy never misses a beat, perfect crimps every time, but this is a one shot deal. I only bought one set. Seriously regretting not buying more now.

They aint cheap! But a decent hydraulic crimper isn't totally outrageous.

Just mildly inconvenient.

They aint cheap! But a decent hydraulic crimper isn't totally outrageous.

Just mildly inconvenient.

I've just ordered a set. Nothing special, not a Temco or anything, just a mid range set from Amazon with good reviews.

Needs to be done. I'm obsessively buying crypto mining rigs & extra storage and need the extra inverting power/battery capacity these connectors will afford. Worse things to be addicted to I suppose. ?

I've just ordered a set. Nothing special, not a Temco or anything, just a mid range set from Amazon with good reviews.

Needs to be done. I'm obsessively buying crypto mining rigs & extra storage and need the extra inverting power/battery capacity these connectors will afford. Worse things to be addicted to I suppose. ?
I bought the Temco, along with the Temco hole puncher. Awesome tools. Making two inch holes in steel wire ways is a breeze now, and perfect crimps every time.

While on the subject, I purchased Temco copper 3/0 for the cable from my inverters to my Blue Sea 1000amp busbars, but cheaped out on the actual battery wires TO the busbar by using InstallGear 1/0 CCA (copper clad aluminum) wire, but with quality copper 1/0 x 3/8 connectors.

Does anyone have any experience with the InstallGear CCA cables? I know Will says to stay away from CCA, but since I am using 7 batteries, with each needing five feet each of red and black 1/0, It gets expensive. I am hoping to not exceed 100amps from each battery, so I hope CCA will do the trick.

InstallGear cables are listed on Amazon at $78 for 50ft (25 red, 25 black)

I would not recommend Copper Coated Aluminum (CCA). You never know exactly what they made it with, because they made it to be cheap.
CCA will creep since the underlying Aluminum will expand and contract and you can't just re-torque it since it's inside the crimp. It just seems like a failure point down the road, especially since you can't inspect it.
If it was going into a terminal on it's own, you could at least remove and re-torque it during an inspection.

I would not recommend Copper Coated Aluminum (CCA). You never know exactly what they made it with, because they made it to be cheap.
CCA will creep since the underlying Aluminum will expand and contract and you can't just re-torque it since it's inside the crimp. It just seems like a failure point down the road, especially since you can't inspect it.
If it was going into a terminal on it's own, you could at least remove and re-torque it during an inspection.
Yeah, thanks for the input. I am glad that all my main cables are pure 3/0 copper. Since the battery cables are easier to get at and replace, I will keep an eye on the CCA connections. I have an infrared camera and thermal tester, so I can compare the pure copper to the CCA to see if anything gets hot.

Funny this thread pops up again, as I'm in the process of purchasing 3x Mason kits from Seplos right now, and they are even nice enough to sell me kits without the BMS, since I already have them.

Only reason I haven't pulled the trigger is shipping for 3 kits, and 3 sets of 2m cables, is $422!!! I just asked them if there is a cheaper/more cost effective option.

What did everyone else pay for shipping?

Funny this thread pops up again, as I'm in the process of purchasing 3x Mason kits from Seplos right now, and they are even nice enough to sell me kits without the BMS, since I already have them.

Only reason I haven't pulled the trigger is shipping for 3 kits, and 3 sets of 2m cables, is $422!!! I just asked them if there is a cheaper/more cost effective option.

I ordered the Futronics connectors rather than the cables. Was charged $16 a set. That brought the shipping down considerably. Apparently the weight of the cable pushes them into a different shipping price bracket.

Shipping was $92 for one Mason, but that was to the UK.

Shipping costs are a bitch right now. I wanted to buy a DC to DC Raspberry Pi power supply from solar assistant( south africa). The item was $18. The shipping was $49. I did not purchase.
Actually, $422 is not that bad for 3 kits. Without cells they are lighter, but still pretty large. Not sure if there are customs fees in there also.

Shipping costs are a bitch right now. I wanted to buy a DC to DC Raspberry Pi power supply from solar assistant( south africa). The item was $18. The shipping was $49. I did not purchase.
Actually, $422 is not that bad for 3 kits. Without cells they are lighter, but still pretty large. Not sure if there are customs fees in there also.
I originally had 3x MASON kits (1x with BMS and 2x without), a stationary base, and 3x cable sets, and I got his quote about a month ago and shipping was around $240 ( i dont remember exactly), but I had him remove the stationary base, and add a BMS to one of the kits for a backup, and shipping went up to $422. So I removed weight considerably from the order, but price went up ~$180.

I'm not sure if shipping has just gone up that much, or if he chose a different shipping method, hence why I asked him. We'll see.

Hello! What do you think of the Seplos Mason vertical house? Recommended or dangerous for lower cells?
I have little space and this design would be ideal.

Attachments

• Képkivágás.PNG
    Képkivágás.PNG
    451.7 KB · Views: 22
  • H6258b7b6459e4e8ca5618ad667b619a3P.jpg
    H6258b7b6459e4e8ca5618ad667b619a3P.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 22
Hello! What do you think of the Seplos Mason vertical house? Recommended or dangerous for lower cells?
I have little space and this design would be ideal.
Some people think so. I personally don't think the weight of 7 cells (11-12lbs each) is going to crush the bottom one. The recommending clamping force for a fixture is alot higher than 84lbs.

This is good news! Maybe the difference is that here the clamping force is not the same on the cells. I have Eve grade B cells

This is good news! Maybe the difference is that here the clamping force is not the same on the cells. I have Eve grade B cells
I remember seeing one of Will's videos he did on a big battery solution that also had the cells on their side. I believe it leaked on him and he had to ship it back. You also may want to investigate the concerns of some that a cell on its side may not have all the internals covered with the electrolyte, which may impact longevity down the road.
As for weight and access, I had similar concerns with the Mason kits, so I built my own rack to seperate them for easy service and not have them stacked on top of each other. I used Unirack from home depot, and two 1000amp busbars from Blue Sea systems for the 7 Mason batteries.

Back