diy solar

diy solar

Seplos Mason DIY kit review (4/5)

Some people think so. I personally don't think the weight of 7 cells (11-12lbs each) is going to crush the bottom one. The recommending clamping force for a fixture is alot higher than 84lbs.
The bottom battery is going to get about 1.5lbs per square inch, hardly an issue.

I remember seeing one of Will's videos he did on a big battery solution that also had the cells on their side. I believe it leaked on him and he had to ship it back. You also may want to investigate the concerns of some that a cell on its side may not have all the internals covered with the electrolyte, which may impact longevity down the road.
As for weight and access, I had similar concerns with the Mason kits, so I built my own rack to seperate them for easy service and not have them stacked on top of each other. I used Unirack from home depot, and two 1000amp busbars from Blue Sea systems for the 7 Mason batteries.
I personally think that the big battery incident was just from faulty/poor quality cells. But no telling what was actually wrong.

There are so many manufactures that put their cells on their side. I have an AmpereTime 12v 400ah battery that has 8x 200ah Cells in a 2p4s config all on their sides inside the case.

I'm gutted the upright cases weren't available when I ordered my first Mason, I only saw the new form factor a couple of days after ordering my 2nd kit. They would have been perfect for my build, would look a lot more professional than two giant black boxes on a £15 plywood dolly.

IMG_7657.JPG

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I don't have a garage or other room, so the inverter and the battery are in a small room of my house due to the moderate temperature.
Now a Deye 8kw 3Phase and a Pytes 48100R vertically.
I had a dilemma whether to have another pytes or rather a diy seplos vertical (14,4kw vs 10kw same price), but once it's inside, safety is very important. So I want to make sure I buy that case, but I'm leaning towards yes.

I originally had 3x MASON kits (1x with BMS and 2x without), a stationary base, and 3x cable sets, and I got his quote about a month ago and shipping was around $240 ( i dont remember exactly), but I had him remove the stationary base, and add a BMS to one of the kits for a backup, and shipping went up to $422. So I removed weight considerably from the order, but price went up ~$180.

I'm not sure if shipping has just gone up that much, or if he chose a different shipping method, hence why I asked him. We'll see.
how much did they take off for not having the BMS? I am debating buying several kits, and going BMS-less will save quite a chunkofchange

how much did they take off for not having the BMS? I am debating buying several kits, and going BMS-less will save quite a chunkofchange

I've just been quoted $270 for the new upright case without BMS. Imagine the old version would be similar.

I've just been quoted $270 for the new upright case without BMS. Imagine the old version would be similar.
Yes $270ish off.

I wouldn't suggest using a different BMS inside this case though. Only reason I was getting them without the BMS is because I already had the Seplos BMS.

In the end, I did end up getting them all with BMS's, so now I have backups and can make other DIY packs.

Yes $270ish off.

I wouldn't suggest using a different BMS inside this case though. Only reason I was getting them without the BMS is because I already had the Seplos BMS.

In the end, I did end up getting them all with BMS's, so now I have backups and can make other DIY packs.

Wonder if they offer any bulk discounts. I would need something like 10 cases lol

It seems like the price to get a MASON-48280 No Cells is about $500-600 to the US? id like to clean up my DIY build and enclose but I already have a JK BMS so I am hesitant to disrupt "current" harmony haha.

It seems like the price to get a MASON-48280 No Cells is about $500-600 to the US? id like to clean up my DIY build and enclose but I already have a JK BMS so I am hesitant to disrupt "current" harmony haha.
Choices choices choices :)

I had the same concerns, and still prefer the active balancing of the JK BMS. Tha5 being said, the Seplos BMS lets you monitor each BMS within a group, and you cannot beat the benefits of the rock solid Mason kit build to clean everything up and make your batteries look more professional.

I had the same concerns, and still prefer the active balancing of the JK BMS. Tha5 being said, the Seplos BMS lets you monitor each BMS within a group, and you cannot beat the benefits of the rock solid Mason kit build to clean everything up and make your batteries look more professional.
And to add, one can, without too much difficulty add an active balancer like the need, or even the heltec.

Have yet to have it confirmed, but the V3 BMS has 2a balancing, and I heard someone mention it is active.
Again , haven't had this confirmed by seplos yet

Last edited:
Is there any vendor for US stock of Seplos Mason 280 new/current model? Ive only seen overseas inventory.

If not, should you buy direct from Seplos or Alibaba for buyer/shipping protection?

Last edited:
Is there any vendor for US stock of Seplos Mason 280 new/current model? Ive only seen overseas inventory.

If not, should you buy direct from Seplos or Alibaba for buyer/shipping protection?
No sure about us stock, but highly doubt it..
You can buy directly from seplos or another vendor, both use Alibaba, however be prepared seplos itself does have really high shipment prices.

I use another vendor, and I know another member here did too, too full satisfaction, shipping is cheap, but downside is slowboat.

Pm me if you want details

Per seplos on my question what the difference is between v16 and 3.0

The difference between v16 (10e) BMS and V3 are enhanced Monitoring、External Switch Power、Greater Compatibility、Improved Current Monitoring and Customizable Inverter Settings.
Seplos BMS3.0 have a 2A active balancer.

And to add, one can, with too much difficulty add an active balancer like the need, or even the heltec.

Have yet to have it confirmed, but the V3 BMS has 2a balancing, and I heard someone mention it is active.
Again , haven't had this confirmed by seplos yet
I will ask Adam Han.

Adam mentioned the 2amp active balancer board (which is optional extra) is still in testing (this was on 15 Jul 2023)

Back