diy solar

diy solar

Series and Parallel wiring help

pops106

Hi guys, can you offer an opinion on the best way to wire up my new batteries.

I currently have 3 x 55ah 12v AGM batteries, I have just grabbed another 3 of the same batteries giving me 6 in total. The current 3 are in series giving me 36v and I basically want add the other 3 in parallel for capacity.

I thought I knew exactly how I was going to wire them up but had a bit of a google and found a couple of different ways and I am wondering what is best.

Option 1 - 2 sets of 3 batteries in series 36v 55ah then parallel them together as 2 x 36v banks 110ah.

1606296885954.png

Option 2 - Create 3 x 110ah 12v packs with 2 in parallel then series the 3 packs together to make 36v 100ah.

1606297291005.png

Option 1 Pros and Cons
- Less cables
- Can take a + from one pack and - from another which believe helps keep them in balance
- Batteries are different age, first 3 keep in sync with each other and new 3 keep in sync with each other but the 2 packs could potentially be slightly off (actually this wouldn't matter because the 2 packs are in parallel anyway, so as long as each 3 in series stay happy then it should be fine)

Option 2 Pros and Cons
- More cables
- Easier to add to my current setup because I am just piggy backing another battery off the current ones
- Potentially would help keep everything in sync as the batteries of slightly different age would be paralleled together

Thanks for your help.

I vote for #2,
- Easier to add to my current setup because I am just piggy backing another battery off the current ones
- Potentially would help keep everything in sync as the batteries of slightly different age would be paralleled together

Back