diy solar

diy solar

Series/Parallel - Questions....

@Sgt Raven, but the point I was making about 'Isolator? Yes. Fuse/CB? No' was that you don't need anything fancy, something like this would do fine for a PV isolator:

1583434938255.png

You only have to strictly worry about exceeding these limitations for the Y connectors:

• CE and TUV certified Hard plastic;Protection Class: Class II Temperature Range: -40C~+90 C
  • One FFM; one MMF Withstanding voltage: 1000V DC(TUV), 600V(UL)

You're squeaking by under these numbers, by a LOT.
Actually, if you are in a very cold climate the margin may not be as large as you think. The Voc is rated at 25c. As it gets colder the Voc goes up.
@upnorthandpersonal posted a great calculator for figuring that out at this thread: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/maximum-open-circuit-voltage-calculator.4500/

Some installers just add 25% to the VOC and call that good. You only have around 15V (10%) margin so you may want to run the numbers through the calculator. You will need the thermal coefficient for your pannels and the lowest temp you area will see. (Most people use the record low for the location)

The 40a circuit breaker was listed in the manual to have protection between the battery and inverter, so I'm not worried about that re: sizing....I just wanted confirmation on the 15a breaker....since I'm going to have a box anyway, I'm going to run the PV through a 15a breaker just so I can easily switch off incoming power very easily. For an additional $4 breaker, it's a cheap and easy way to provide a shutoff if it's ever needed.

Back