diy solar

diy solar

Server Rack Battery vs DIY

Hi.
Due to close family health issues I'm not having the spare time to do any proper investigation at the moment, though I'm extremely interested in all this

Regards
Sorry to hear, hope everyone gets through the situation ok, I feel ya, during my own going off grid thing, life certainly happened and I had to divert attention where needed.
About the Tomzn breakers, I have this for the 2P-Tom1Z 125 MCB - they had similar info for the 1P MCCB, but as I noted earlier this is marketing info, not actual specifications for the equipment. Disreguard the prices shown, not in dollars.

Attachments

• 125A Non-Polarized DC MCB Battery Isolator TOMZN _ IMEX Solar.pdf
    163.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
The other thread scolding a guy for falling for the Aliexpress scam, says nobody makes anything above 280 ah and that should have been his first clue the listing was a scam.

???
How old is the other thread? 304 's have only been out for about a year.

I got 48 of the 280ah cells, one BMS, one amp meter and display. There is no way a server rack can compete cost wise with someone willing to put batteries on a shelf. Diy isn't even much work, I think I spent two evenings including compression.

I highly recommend doing it yourself for any system more than a couple server rack batteries. It's the only way to get a reasonable cost for a sufficient pack for off grid.

I got 48 of the 280ah cells, one BMS, one amp meter and display. There is no way a server rack can compete cost wise with someone willing to put batteries on a shelf. Diy isn't even much work, I think I spent two evenings including compression.

I highly recommend doing it yourself for any system more than a couple server rack batteries. It's the only way to get a reasonable cost for a sufficient pack for off grid.

This only applies if you can get cells cheap enough.

No one can argue so long as you post prices you paid and links to good sources with currently available products.

No one can argue so long as you post prices you paid and links to good sources with currently available products.
Are there reliable US distributors or these cells now at economically viable prices?

Where's the limit when rack batteries win vs. DIY? I mean IF one could buy 10,24kWh A grade rack batteries with display, but only with a crappy 100A BMS under 200e/kWh. Including 24% VAT and postage. Not saying I can, but IF someone could. Would DIY still win?

Where's the limit when rack batteries win vs. DIY? I mean IF one could buy 10,24kWh A grade rack batteries with display, but only with a crappy 100A BMS under 200e/kWh. Including 24% VAT and postage. Not saying I can, but IF someone could. Would DIY still win?

This is really an impossible argument for many reasons.

I need this to be as affordable as possible and I have time to wait = DIY from China
I need this to be as affordable as possible, but I don't have time to wait = DIY from USA (shipped from China)
I need this to be as easy as possible and cost is not critical = have someone else install a ready to use system
I need this to be as easy as possible and I want to keep it as affordable as I can, and I am okay doing the work myself = server rack DIY

"I need it now and I don't know what I am doing" is NEVER going to be able to compete with "I can DIY, and I don't care how long it takes". :p

You can't get them cheap enough anymore? Mine were $90 a cell back in 2020 shipped, looking at the same supplier (basen) they now have them for $110 instead of the $77 I paid. So now it's $150/kWh instead of the $100 before, still much better than $300.

I placed my order of 8 cells last night, shipping was actually a bit cheaper than originally quoted, the final bill was:

3.2V CATL "grade A" battery (capacity test of 320Ah) : $112/PCS*8=$896
The price of DDP by sea to Toronto Canada is $275
Total $896+$275=$1171 USD

I'll report back when I receive the cells and what I think of them after running my own capacity tests.

Well, the batteries finally arrived yesterday (April 10th) - so just under 10 weeks from time of order to my door.

I'm away for work this week but will run some capacity tests when I get back next week and will post my results.

This is really an impossible argument for many reasons.

I need this to be as affordable as possible and I have time to wait = DIY from China
I need this to be as affordable as possible, but I don't have time to wait = DIY from USA (shipped from China)
I need this to be as easy as possible and cost is not critical = have someone else install a ready to use system
I need this to be as easy as possible and I want to keep it as affordable as I can, and I am okay doing the work myself = server rack DIY

"I need it now and I don't know what I am doing" is NEVER going to be able to compete with "I can DIY, and I don't care how long it takes". :p
This is a PERFECT matrix! I love it! :)

So I fall into the first category (DIY from China). Where should I start?

Well, the batteries finally arrived yesterday (April 10th) - so just under 10 weeks from time of order to my door.

I'm away for work this week but will run some capacity tests when I get back next week and will post my results.
Your $1171 is about the same I was quoted this month for EVE 304s from China to us. I went with US stock for $14 / cell because I needed them now. But the "good-Ol-days" of $135 (my order 18 months ago) are sadly gone.

Key benefit for DIY for me ... I know why /how it works ... I know why /how it breaks ... I have an idea how to fix it.

That said, if I'm designing for someone else ... I steer them towards server rack. I don't want them calling me in the middle of the night.

My capacity tests have been delayed, but I quickly scanned the QR code on the batteries - I never know which date format is being used, does this manufacture date mean December 7th or July 12th?

IVMbGd8.png

Back