diy solar

diy solar

Server Rack Systems

Weru12

I was thinking about systems in my Class A RV and the system I'm putting in my home as well.
It seems to me that with the large storage bays down below on a Class A that a server rack would fit just fine into one of the heated bays.
And an identical system would work perfectly for a house and could even be tucked away in the linen closet (modified for air flow) instead of taking up half the wall in the garage.

Now here is the part that I think would make all the difference, if inverter and all-in-one companies would start making their components for server racks too. I can imagine that RV manufactures would love that, heck even sticks and bricks would love that as everything would fit neatly and compactly into a closet shaped area. No more requirement for wall space for devices that are all different dimensions from different manufacturers (there is a reason computer manufacturers went to a standard) and having to figure out how to mount and wire each item. I think it would simplify RV design as you could dead-head the electrical connections and let the buyer add/modify what is installed perhaps even go to using Molex connectors on everything to make for tool free installations. If they are in a bay, you don't need waterproof batteries and you could design for pulling conditioned air from the living space to cool the system in the summer and heat it in the winter.

Imagine a 3U Inverter, a 1U Solar Charge Controller, a 2-3U Battery Pack all with front accessible wiring. It would be great.
You could also have the option of using transport crate mounted racks to have a a completely assembled portable system for use anywhere (emergency services?).
Maybe until then we could come up with some kind of server rack adaptor to mount inverters on their backs into the rack? I'll have to look for some of the old school server rack adaptors that we had back in the 1980's and see what could be done.

What are your thoughts?
And how could we petition manufactures to start building components in server rack format?

Just a quick note, there are some inverters made for rack mount but they seem to be limited capability. Could work. Would be nice if there were more options (like boost) and if all the connections were on the front.
Rack Mounted Inverters

Back