diy solar

diy solar

Setting up a solar system for a truck camper

Could you provide the components necessary for hooking up your system to your vehicle's alternator/battery? I would like to add this to my system, but totally clueless how this would work.
So a cable connecting your starter and house batteries will achieve this, trouble is when you are parked, the load will drain the starter battery too.
I run a simple voltage sensing relay (VSR) isolator setup, (located in the engine bay near the start battery) that automatically disconnects (seperates) the two batteries when voltage drops below 13.5V (ie no charge from alternator). It’s a Powertech kit from Jaycar, cost about $100AUD. Plus an 80A resettable breaker at each end to protect the cable and use as open point.
If you have a smart alternator, or want optimised charging for your house battery, best to look for a DC-DC charger.

So a cable connecting your starter and house batteries will achieve this, trouble is when you are parked, the load will drain the starter battery too.
I run a simple voltage sensing relay (VSR) isolator setup, (located in the engine bay near the start battery) that automatically disconnects (seperates) the two batteries when voltage drops below 13.5V (ie no charge from alternator). It’s a Powertech kit from Jaycar, cost about $100AUD. Plus an 80A resettable breaker at each end to protect the cable and use as open point.
If you have a smart alternator, or want optimised charging for your house battery, best to look for a DC-DC charger.
Thank you for that response. I will look into those components and hopefully figure that part out.

Back