diy solar

diy solar

Setting up my first system

swittler

Setting up my first system, my goal is to hook it in to my service panel and at night and when the batteries are low to pull from the grid. And when there is solar and batteries are charged not pull from the grid. I have no plans to back feed to the grid (net metering) Not sure I have everything yet. Here is what I have ordered so far.

Looking for advice on setting this up.

Thanks

16kW of PV for 15kW of batteries seems way over-panelled. Which is not a bad thing if you can afford it, mind you.
But then, maybe you're close to one of the poles... not much sun to be had...
But then, people don't like to state their location, even on a solar forum, when sun power varies quite a bit with location... :·/

It seems to me the main equation to be solved is how to wire all those panels, right?
From the specs in your links: Voc on those is some 50V. Max voltage for each SCC is 450V.
Now, if you're really close to a pole, and temperatures drop way below zero, you might want to raise the Voc a bit ;·)

But still, let's say you can stack 8 panels in each series string.
8x3, 24 of them in 3 series. You have 35. Make that 36, it'll look (and work) better.
36/3, 12. You could have six series of six, paralled two by two. Each paralleled pair would give a maximum of... 460X12, 5520W... theoretical, but anyway not exceeding the 6000W max of the SCCs.

So, three 6s2p arrays, each to a controller, should work. I hope :·) Check the math (I may have got it wrong), you have all the elements in the equation.
-

Arizona sounds good, solar-wise :·)
Still, having all those panels should let you
a) Use quite a lot of heavy loads during sun hours and
b) Have room to expand on storage (batteries) if needed.
-

Back