diy solar

diy solar

Settings for AIO to protect batteries

Shotgun

For my system, I have some panels tied to a PowMr all-in-one (I feel bad about the PowMr. Please don't judge.) There is just enough battery to say that I have battery, and then there is input from the grid. I have the output tied to a breaker box that runs a few house circuits. These circuits run some lights, a TV, a few computers, and a small cube freezer. All told, about 25% of the AIO's output.

I'm purposely being vague about the component sizing, because it doesn't really matter and I don't want the conversation straying in that direction. I've been running the system for a year, with the figure of merit being the reduction in my light bill. I have been successful in reaching a reduction that would result in a two-year payoff. That is, until my batteries died.

Yes. I used lead-acid batteries. UPS rated AGM batteries. I set the AIO to SOL priority, which will use solar to power the output and top the batteries off, and then switch over to using them when the solar isn't enough. This results in continuously filling the batteries up then sucking them down. Now, they don't hold a charge, so the load will suck them down in seconds and switch back over to drawing from the grid. To stop the distracting switchovers, I've had to set the AIO to UTI (utility?) mode, so it is basically passing grid power through, ignoring the solar power. (Except, we did have the grid drop out today due to thunderstorms, and the PV picked up the slack and kept everything running. That was a plus.)

I've now killed $500 worth of batteries. I want to pull the trigger on $650 worth of LiFePo4 as replacement, but I'm never going to reach a payoff doing it this way. No point in buying more batteries if the AIO is going to do the same thing to them.

How can I configure the AIO to draw power from the panels when available, the grid as a second option, and the batteries only as a last resort? The way the system is now, it is as if it was designed to destroy batteries.

UPS AGMs are generally a poor choice for cyclic applications. UPSs basically sit fully charged doing nothing for months at a time until they're called upon. You want batteries that can cycle.

Something you also need to look at is the idle draw of the AiO. Many draw about 45W/3000W of output, so a 3kW AiO will burn 1.1kWh/day just by being on. That's most of the capacity of a 12V/100Ah battery consumed by the unit itself.

How can I configure the AIO to draw power from the panels when available, the grid as a second option, and the batteries only as a last resort? The way the system is now, it is as if it was designed to destroy batteries.

IIRC, there is a SUb option on MPP and Growatt units. I would assume the same for the PowMr.

There should also be a setting where you specify the battery voltage to fall back to utility.

If you link your manual, more help might be had.

I found the manual online. Page 24 seems to be the one of interest. It appears that there is no SUb option, but there is an SBU. Is that the same thing?

I think I may have found a solution. Set the battery cut-off value to 80% or 90% of the batteries capacity. . .ie, barely draw it down. Then set the value for setting 06 to OSO, so that it only charges from the PV. Battery is setting at 80%, sun comes up and brings them up to 100%. At that point, there is enough solar to run the loads from the PV. Evening comes along, sun goes away, and the battery is drawn down to 80%. Since there is no sun, it switches over to utility power, and the battery sits at 80% until the next day.

I'm going to experiment with this setting, but could someone poke holes in the theory before I do any more damage? :cool:

I find it disconcerting that there are a lot of undocumented interactions between the settings. I've got to let it run a bit, but I think that having setting 06 set to OSO is going to be the ticket. I've also limited the charging current to 5A, to limit the rate at which switchover occurs. I just wish there was a "maximum battery current draw" setting.

Back