diy solar

diy solar

SFK V3 Ready To Build Kit Questions

Sequimite

I'm a complete newbie planning to buy the SFK Ready To Build kit and 4 280ah EVE cells. The battery will be installed on the tongue of a small travel trailer. I have zero experience in this area (if you don't count my time as JC Penny auto battery installer :rolleyes:), but I'm diving in. Here are my questions.

1. I don't want to use the optional spacer on the top of the case if possible. The flush terminals look cleaner to me. Having said that, does it matter which cell terminal type I buy--flush with female threads or threaded studs?
  2. As the cells are secured solely by the compression of the foam inserts on either end of the case, would there be a concern about damage from vibration as I go down the road? I don't know whether there are standards for this sort of thing.
Thanks for any help you can provide!

The battery will be installed on the tongue of a small travel trailer.
Sorry I can't help with your main questions but please keep in mind that LiFePO₄ batteries do not like the cold. It's important that you don't try to charge the battery if the temperature is near or below freezing. The battery can be discharged a bit below freezing. Check the specs on the specific cells you have to see the exact temperatures.

If you only plan to use the trailer in nice weather then you shouldn't have an issue. But plan on removing the battery and storing it in the house when it's cold.

Thanks @rmaddy. We never intend to camp in very cold weather. The SFK battery kit has both high and low temp cutoff protection, so if I ever do get caught in the cold, I'm covered.

If you do want to use it in a cold. They have auto and manual heating pad options. I think they also have a bag with heating pad part of the bag or one can add it to the battery itself. Check their site. I saw a video, where he left battery outside in cold to measure how much power it uses. It was good figures. Do a search for sfk battery.

Check your trailer battery charger.converter, lot of them don't have an option for lifepo settings. No harm, u just won't be able to fully charge the battery when on shore power.

Back