diy solar

diy solar

Shallow well pump?

medic149

Cabin In The Woods
Does anyone use a 12, 24, or 48 volt well pump in a shallow well?

Our new property has a 25' well with a hand pump on it.
Wondering if we can put an electric pump down the well to use for showers and toilet.

You could put a Surflo pump in the hole, suspended above the water level. (but those submersibles people linked are probably better protected.)
You could probably put Surflo or any other positive displacement pump above ground, and have a foot valve on the end of the hose. If your water level is < 32' down, you can suck it through a straw.

From there, pump it up hill to a tank for gravity feed. Then you can run the pump PV direct, without batteries.

You could put a Surflo pump in the hole, suspended above the water level. (but those submersibles people linked are probably better protected.)
You could probably put Surflo or any other positive displacement pump above ground, and have a foot valve on the end of the hose. If your water level is < 32' down, you can suck it through a straw.

From there, pump it up hill to a tank for gravity feed. Then you can run the pump PV direct, without batteries.
That's very similar to what I was thinking about doing. As long as it's a bendable straw, I should be good LOL

Have you figured it out, @medic149 ? Maybe even have tested smtg?
I have a shallow well with a pipe too narrow for those submersible/deep well pumps. Last summer was running on inverter and cheap chinese 400W 220V AC above ground. Was doing ok. Would love to switch over to 12V or 24V DC - then would not have any need for AC at all:)

The 'shurflo's are usually having 8-10ft suction in specs. I would need ~15ft (would feel safe seeing 20ft in spec and going easier). Or am I just looking at wrong suppliers?

Don't know if these are any good:

I think Grangers used to have a 2" 3-phase monitoring well pump with inverter drive, haven't seen it lately.

One of these submersible turbine pumps ought to be ore efficient than a jet pump.

Don't know if these are any good:

I think Grangers used to have a 2" 3-phase monitoring well pump with inverter drive, haven't seen it lately.

One of these submersible turbine pumps ought to be ore efficient than a jet pump.
Not in my case:( But Thank You for thinking of it! :)

In my case - inner d of the pipe on which hand pump was ttached is only 1.6".
If there is no DC "above ground" solution than I'm generally happy w my inverter/AC approach.

Just dreaming of a pure DC :)

Attachments

• 20200607_195538.jpg
    20200607_195538.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 5
I have a SunPumps down my well and it has worked great for years. I had a Shurflo but the electrical seal failed as did the diaphragm. I rebuit the shurflo (again!) and stuck it down my second well. I need to see if it still even works. I wouldn't bother with any cheap pumps, it is too much of a hassle to drag the pump up and deal with it, all while no water coming out. I have 2500 gallons of storage and an alarm I built that beeps if the pump is supposed to be on but no water is coming out. That way I still have water in the tank while I deal with the pump.

Have you figured it out, @medic149 ? Maybe even have tested smtg?
I have a shallow well with a pipe too narrow for those submersible/deep well pumps. Last summer was running on inverter and cheap chinese 400W 220V AC above ground. Was doing ok. Would love to switch over to 12V or 24V DC - then would not have any need for AC at all:)

The 'shurflo's are usually having 8-10ft suction in specs. I would need ~15ft (would feel safe seeing 20ft in spec and going easier). Or am I just looking at wrong suppliers?
@austrisv I haven't tested as of yet. We never got to close on the property until 2 weeks ago. I might be waiting until spring now :(

Back