diy solar

diy solar

shattered/broken glass panels

lynhnn

Shipment came with broken/shattered glass panels in the picture. How do we do with these? They do give power, however.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 3.03.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 3.03.22 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
I often ask too many questions, but where did they get shipped from, was there a responsible shipper? I ask these questions in order to save the rest of us some trouble if you don't get proper restitution. I am not qualified to answer your question, except to say I would not use them with a new system. Good luck.

I'm contacting the seller to see what the remedy would be. I should update once everything is settled or what not.

I recently had similar situation. panel put out great numbers bench testing. I did not use it for fear of water intrusion. Contacted seller (Bougerv) and was told to keep it and they issued a refund. I did a couple short videos showing panel. I ended up taking the wires off and used them for extensions on my build. Took panel to local recycler. I found no ideal way to save it....good luck.

I'm still trying to contact ebay seller keystoneliquidators (from Indiana) and he has not responded yet. It has been 3 weeks since the purchase and seller is not responding...

Shipment came with broken/shattered glass panels in the picture. How do we do with these? They do give power, however.
I received a shattered unit from Rich Solar just last week. They had me email them a pic of the panel and shipping label (they use that for the carrier insurance). Then they just shipped me a new unit and told me to keep the broken one. Shattered panels can be used...just don't let them get wet!

Keystone Liquidators have not told me what they are going to do and what is the expected time frame. This is a terrible seller. They kept my money and I can't move my project.

Keystone Liquidators have not told me what they are going to do and what is the expected time frame. This is a terrible seller. They kept my money and I can't move my project.
Dispute charge on cc?

I requested a call from eBay and it took them over 3 hours to call me and told me nothing they can do if I open a dispute with my cc bank which I just did while waiting for that call. I'm not sure what is going next as I don't remember last time I dispute.

I had a 200w panel arrive damaged. It looked like the shipper dropped something heavy on the back of the panel. It is still dented. The seller asked for pictures and sent me a new one. I'm still not sure what to do with the broken one. I'm thinking of just mounting it on the wall in my workshop. What else can you do with a broken panel?

I had a 200w panel arrive damaged. It looked like the shipper dropped something heavy on the back of the panel. It is still dented. The seller asked for pictures and sent me a new one. I'm still not sure what to do with the broken one. I'm thinking of just mounting it on the wall in my workshop. What else can you do with a broken panel?
I took the wires off and made 2 extensions. Then took panel to local recycling.

Now I have a chance to test the output power of the panels. Each panel can barely give 25W on cloudy day which is about 75% loss of power. So they are not usable.

Try them on a sunny day. Today my 1200 watt array produced 455 watts for the entire day. It's been worse. About a week ago I got about 500 watts for both 1200 watt arrays together.

I'm still trying to contact ebay seller keystoneliquidators (from Indiana) and he has not responded yet. It has been 3 weeks since the purchase and seller is not responding...
Thanks for reporting this. Note: hopefully the name of this seller stays up on this forum for awhile. I once gave a negative review to an ebay seller. On ebay many potential or past buyers from that seller thanked me (as I posted that the bad seller lost a lawsuit on the sale). But then over time (a few years?) ebay dropped details of this and/or they seller was able to bury it with new sales. Someone told me that the seller had multiple sales accounts on ebay. By simply switching to a different account, they covered up how malicious they were.

I had a 'shattered' one in a shipment of 40 panels. Used a metal saw to cut it in sections to fit in the trash can - the glass makes a mess! / don't want shards everywhere. Cracked/broken glass will let 'weather' in and corrupt the cell/connections - so its no good for long term use.
1638221310195.png

These were used panels at $70 each - so shipping either way (to return or get a replacement) just wasn't practical at $200+. It was ebay @santansolar so they suggested a discount on the next order. I let it go since they were nice about it and answered email promptly etc and I may very well re-order in the future.

I had a 'shattered' one in a shipment of 40 panels. Used a metal saw to cut it in sections to fit in the trash can - the glass makes a mess! / don't want shards everywhere. Cracked/broken glass will let 'weather' in and corrupt the cell/connections - so its no good for long term use.
View attachment 73900

These were used panels at $70 each - so shipping either way (to return or get a replacement) just wasn't practical at $200+. It was ebay @santansolar so they suggested a discount on the next order. I let it go since they were nice about it and answered email promptly etc and I may very well re-order in the future.
Thanks for letting us know. I was wondering how santansolar handled such issues.

Back