diy solar

diy solar

Shed build 1500 watt inverter high frequency

BlueMarblePA

Solar Enthusiast
Now that winter is on its way, I wanted to build a battery box to keep some insulation. I build a three sided 2x4 box to house my heated battleborn lifepo4 batteries.

I decided to run my circular saw directly from the battery and experienced some challenges starting the saw. I think it is a 13amp saw with 120v and so it is at the limit of the 1500 watt inverter. There was nothing else plugged in at the time. After pressing the circular saw button for a few seconds, it would then spring to life.

I had calculated max amp draw to be 1500 watts/24v system to be 62.5 amp and had thus sized it with 4 gauge wires to the bus bar and inverter. So I guess I am fine

I was surprised to see the battery voltage drop so much by running the circular saw. Overall though since it runs so quickly the battery capacity remained high.

Very cool to be building my own diy shed solar panel powered unit.
Screenshot_20221105-165238.jpg20221029_174752.jpg20221105_163134.jpg

To get 1500W of AC power at the output of the inverter, the power input to the inverter will be about 1500W/0.85 = 1765W of input power due to conversion loss.
Did you measure the Vdrops on the wires when pulling full load?

To get 1500W of AC power at the output of the inverter, the power input to the inverter will be about 1500W/0.85 = 1765W of input power due to conversion loss.
Did you measure the Vdrops on the wires when pulling full load?
Very good point about energy efficiency, so my amp draw was probably even more. I did not measure V drop. Is this referring to energy loss in the cables? Ampacity calculators which determine loss? I didn't think about that because the wire runs are short.

Back