diy solar

diy solar

Shed Install Questions

Quote for a full 15kw Sunpower system (360w panels) was $42k installed, after federal tax credits. Quote for an 8kw was $19.5k after tax credits.

The 15kw system will cover my crypto mining completely, the 8kw will only cover my house. Debating on the 8kw system and just paying cash. The 15kw system I would have to finance or lease.

Well I just got an inspection on the house again, and it turns out the house is 200a service, and the garage panel is a SUB PANEL. The main panel is on the West side of the house, (bottom left of the picture, with the red dot), and is only actually about 45-50 ft from the shed! This is perfect!

House Aerial.png

This means I can mount all the equipment in the shed and have much, much less wiring costs, and no running wires through the house!

I thought you were living full time in the RV?

I think I'd find some more quotes........ that's really crazy.

I thought you were living full time in the RV?

I think I'd find some more quotes........ that's really crazy.
I was for almost 2 years, to save money, and pay off debt. I paid off all our debt and saved enough for our down payment, so were ready to move back into a home.

I've talked to other folks who have solar around here and they all paid similar or more! California solar is ridiculous... Definitely going to get quotes from several companies though. I will have the professional solar installed to power the house, and I am working out a off-grid system strictly to run my crypto miner. (in the shed)

Lt.Dan,
I’m in Tulare. Doing research for shed system build.
Strictly off grid.
Shed large enough for all equipment and batteries, ground mount panels.
Shed will be insulated with electric fan ventilation.
Have you tested your shed for max heat on our 110+ days in the valley?
Some batteries have a charge thermal max of about 114.

Thank you

Lt.Dan,
I’m in Tulare. Doing research for shed system build.
Strictly off grid.
Shed large enough for all equipment and batteries, ground mount panels.
Shed will be insulated with electric fan ventilation.
Have you tested your shed for max heat on our 110+ days in the valley?
Some batteries have a charge thermal max of about 114.

Thank you
Hey, glad to see someone local.

I have not proceeded with the shed due to the heat issues, mine is not insulated but even with all the fans in the world it will never get cooler than outside. I'm currently working through this in another thread and am leaning towards putting everything in the garage and installing a small Mini Split. The batteries can be used up in the high temps, but with noticeable degradation when you get over 100* for sure. Optimally you want to keep them below 80*, so im opting to try out the garage, and when it comes closer to the summer months next year, I will try and install some sort of air conditioning or mini split and we'll see how it goes.

Back