diy solar

diy solar

Shed roof mount ground solar panels?

BlueMarblePA

Solar Enthusiast
I just watched this video on grounding the solar panels.

Will Prowse does not seem to address this in his diy videos.

Is this needed for an off grid shed mount system.

Also, if I don't have a combiner box, I assume I am just going to have to just take it straight down to a copper ground.

Is eight foot always the recommended length into the earth it has to be placed?

How are RV installations grounded?

Maybe I am opening up a can of worms!

Dunno how it is in the US but in Europe with our big and almost mandatory lighting protection systems its as follows:
When the panels are inside the space protected by the installed lighting rods you ground them separately.
When the panels aren't inside the space protected by lighting rods (they are too close to it, cables are crossing it somewhere etc.) you ground them to the lighting rods.

Separate grounding is MUCH preferred as it will supposedly allow the panels to survive a direct strike.

There are computer programs (from DEHN for example) that can calculate how close can the panels be to the lighting rods.

I am going to buy a sds plus drill bit to help me to pound in two eight foot copper grounding rods near the shed. Then I am going to ground the solar panels and the panel bus bar.

I am going to buy a sds plus drill bit to help me to pound in two eight foot copper grounding rods near the shed. Then I am going to ground the solar panels and the panel bus bar.

I did the same with just one common rod for the roof mounted shed panels and panel bus bar.

My local AHJ passed the install.

This is in Ohio.

Before you throw out your shoulder, have you considered using a grounding plate instead? A 30" deep hole might be a LOT easier than pounding an 8' rod into the dirt.

Per NEC code:
A plate electrode that exposes at least 2 sq ft. of surface to exterior soil is permitted as a grounding electrode. A 2011 Code change to 250.52(A)(7) clarifies that plate electrodes must be conductive. The electrode must be a bare or conductively coated iron or steel plate at least ¼ in. thick, or a solid uncoated nonferrous metal plate at least 0.06 in. thick.

That's only a 12"x12" plate at 1/4" thick. It was a LOT easier for me to throw two of those in at 30" at the top of the plate to appease the inspector than trying to pound a pair of 8' rods in the rock.

Last edited:
Before you throw out your shoulder, have you considered using a grounding plate instead? A 30" deep hole might be a LOT easier than pounding an 8' rod into the dirt.

Per NEC code:

That's only a 12"x12" plate at 1/4" thick. It was a LOT easier for me to throw two of those in at 30" at the bottom of the hole to appease the inspector than trying to pound a pair of 8' rods in the rock.
Interesting. Can you provide a link to the equipment I would have to buy? I can dig. PA has some tough rocks!

Any steel plate that matches the size requirements from a local steel supply, welding supply, or even some big box stores will work fine. If you don't have a welder buddy handy that can stick a couple rods on the top for your ground wire clamps can be dealt with probably* by a screw or bolt for the wire through the top of the plate. I have a welder so I just welded some rods on the top of mine for the clamp to go around.

*Ask a local electrical inspector what they want to see for attaching the ground wire. I overbuilt on purpose so I don't know the fastening requirements.

Another note, I mistakenly said 30" to the bottom of the hole, I meant top of the plate. Post has been edited.

I'm sure you can run a ground rod in someplace close to shed wait for a soaking rain or use some PVC pipe and hose to soften and bore in the ground then beat in the last bit. You might get away with running a 6ga copper wire say 30ft just under the ground a foot or so

I'm sure you can run a ground rod in someplace close to shed wait for a soaking rain or use some PVC pipe and hose to soften and bore in the ground then beat in the last bit. You might get away with running a 6ga copper wire say 30ft just under the ground a foot or so
Thanks. I ended up getting two eight foot copper ground rods and used the hammer drill sds attachment to drive them in. Went in much easier than I thought. Now I need the 6 gauge copper wire and some grounding lugs for the unirac rails

Just be forewarned that there is a different type of ground clamp for direct bury than what you would use on a pipe. It looks like and acorn and I got dinged on it for my last inspection. Make sure you get the right ones.

8169aa-L1KL._SL1500_.jpg

Just be forewarned that there is a different type of ground clamp for direct bury than what you would use on a pipe. It looks like and acorn and I got dinged on it for my last inspection. Make sure you get the right ones.

8169aa-L1KL._SL1500_.jpg
Thank you

Back