diy solar

diy solar

Shed to Supply LED Landscaping Light Inverter Always-on Question

richjohnson905

I added the Harbor Freight 100w system to my backyard shed to allow charging my Kobalt lawn mower batteries and what not. I have two 35 amp batteries in parallel giving 70 amps of which I only want to discharge to 50%. I have a 1000w Jupiter inverter ( I wanted 750w but was not available that day). I only cut grass once a week so I figured I would use the power all week long to light up the trees and landscaping in my backyard which are on a dusk-to-dawn (or dusk for 2-4-6 hours) timer schedule with LED lighting (5 wh each). It has been running a week now and I love it. I don't want to go out and turn the inverter on every night before dusk and turn it off in the morning. The inverter draws 0.8 amps per hour which will come right from the sunshine during the day. ~12 hours at night it will pull it from the battery bank which I feel is ok. Is this a reasonable setup and use of the shed solar system and I'll take any comments and suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_4086.JPG
    IMG_4086.JPG
    295.2 KB · Views: 5
You might want to consider 12VDC LED lights. Then you won't need the inverter at all for the lights. They can run directly off of the batteries.

I didn't see any 12VDC LED landscaping lights in my search. Thanks for the info however. I'll keep an eye out.

Last edited:
Back