diy solar

diy solar

SHENZEN BASEN 280Ah, I received my first order

Bud Martin

Solar Wizard
The good news is that I just received the four LISHEN 280Ah today, I ordered them on the Nov 3rd, they arrived on Dec 13th and sit in the customs for 13day, FedEx picked them up on the Dec 26th and delivered to me on the Dec 30th which is not bad at all. The bad news is that the bottom of the box was not taped up well and I was surprised that batteries did not fall out off the box. One of the cell is damaged due to bad foam insert, it looks like one chunk of foam at the corner where the damaged cell is. I just send message to Gloria Luo of BASEN with pictures showing the damages, hopefully she will send me the replacement. Follow-up: Gloria Luo just notifies me that she will send me the replacement, Basen seems to have good service.

Attachments

• BASEN_damaged battery_rec 12-3-2020_19.jpg
    BASEN_damaged battery_rec 12-3-2020_19.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 160
  • BASEN_damaged battery_rec 12-3-2020_1.jpg
    BASEN_damaged battery_rec 12-3-2020_1.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 145
  • BASEN_damaged battery_rec 12-3-2020_9.jpg
    BASEN_damaged battery_rec 12-3-2020_9.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 152
  • BASEN_damaged battery_rec 12-3-2020_17.jpg
    BASEN_damaged battery_rec 12-3-2020_17.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 162
  • BASEN_damaged battery_rec 12-3-2020_20.jpg
    BASEN_damaged battery_rec 12-3-2020_20.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 179
  • BASEN_damaged battery_rec 12-3-2020_23.jpg
    BASEN_damaged battery_rec 12-3-2020_23.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 182
  • BASEN_damaged battery_rec 12-3-2020_16.jpg
    BASEN_damaged battery_rec 12-3-2020_16.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
This is how I am charging each cell, I am just going to do them slowly, right now I set it to about 3.55V fist and about 10A. Then I will do parallel top balance to 3.6V.

Attachments

• BASEN_battery_rec 12-3-2020_charge setup_3.jpg
    BASEN_battery_rec 12-3-2020_charge setup_3.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 90
  • BASEN_battery_rec 12-3-2020_charge setup_1.jpg
    BASEN_battery_rec 12-3-2020_charge setup_1.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 86
  • BASEN_battery_rec 12-3-2020_charge setup_2.jpg
    BASEN_battery_rec 12-3-2020_charge setup_2.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 87
Do keep us posted as the communication continues to exchange the damaged cell.

Also I believe the lishens are 271ah

Do keep us posted as the communication continues to exchange the damaged cell.

I was surprised how fast Gloria answers the message I sent her about the damaged cell, she will notify me:
notify me when the replacement is shipped.
Reply from Gloria:
Gloria Luo2020-12-30 17:52

pls dont worry, we will send you replacement once our US warehouse restock, almost within this month

within January.

The sticker on te battery shows 280A so I will find out when I perform the capacity test.

Attachments

• BASEN_damaged battery_rec 12-3-2020_16.jpg
    BASEN_damaged battery_rec 12-3-2020_16.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 12
I was surprised how fast Gloria answers the message I sent her about the damaged cell, she will notify me:
notify me when the replacement is shipped.
Reply from Gloria:

pls dont worry, we will send you replacement once our US warehouse restock, almost within this month

within January.

The sticker on te battery shows 280A so I will find out when I perform the capacity test.
Interesting, I ordered from the same company but they are shipping 271ah lishens... Good for you and I am glad for you they are sending a replacement.

The IR is different that the EVE cells, I think they are .15.... wonder if those are better

Interesting, I ordered from the same company but they are shipping 271ah lishens... Good for you and I am glad for you they are sending a replacement.
This was my first order from ALIBABA so I was really worry about the order and the customer service.

Technically Lishen rates these cells at 272ah. No one will know what what the capacity is until they test the capacity of each cell for themselves. Some suppliers claim they all test at 280ah's or better. That is not always the case when tested by the buyer.

The IR spec for a Lishen cell is 0.12±0.05mΩ and ≤0.25mΩ for an EVE cell. EVE cells do test lower around .15milliohm from what I have noticed and mine were tested by the supplier. Seven of my cells tested at .15 and one tested at .14. I don't think that's a big enough difference to matter.

This was my first order from ALIBABA so I was really worry about the order and the customer service.
Its my first order as well... My 8 cells shipped 12/4, so I am very nervous for them to arrive... Hopefully the end of January... it does establish some confidence that they are shipping a replacement for the damaged cell... Hopefully that will be applicable to my order if any damage has occurred...

Are you going to compress before charging to 3.65?? I am, seems everyone charges and only compresses at assembly, but logically I would think even as individuals they should be compressed

Technically Lishen rates these cells at 272ah. No one will know what what the capacity is until they test the capacity of each cell for themselves. Some suppliers claim they all test at 280ah's or better. That is not always the case when tested by the buyer.

The IR spec for a Lishen cell is 0.12±0.05mΩ and ≤0.25mΩ for an EVE cell. EVE cells do test lower around .15milliohm from what I have noticed and mine were tested by the supplier. Seven of my cells tested at .15 and one tested at .14. I don't think that's a big enough difference to matter.
I have seen videos from the offgrid solar guys testing his 280 and only getting 265... while he doesn't have a lab with perfect conditions for me that would still be great. I current live full time in my van with 250 ah agms (2 6volts) and they are getting tired. Even at 80percent battery return that will be night and day for me... dreaming about running a TV and ps5.... dreaming

Yeah, my batts, agms, went downhill fast. I'm off grid, and it is rainy season here in Houston. I need to be able to store several days worth. A set @270 could last me up to 5 days being stingy, or 3 days running my desktop all night. I can refill about 200 per good day. I'm hoping to be able to buy two sets. Could really use a 2k stimulus. Been out of work since march, and online sales have dried up. Just about ready to order at least one set.

Lab equipment with perfect conditions isn't required. There have been enough members including myself test these EVE's or Lishen's to know capacity is all over the place. I haven't watched all of Offgrids videos but as I recall he is testing EVE's?

I didn't test each cell in my pack but my total battery capacity is 272ah's....or 97% capacity. I have 8 EVE cells for a 24 volt pack.

So far from what I have seen with the Lishen's, they are testing at their rated capacity or better. Either way they are a great value and hopefully you won't be dreaming much longer... :)

Reactions: Dzl
Its my first order as well... My 8 cells shipped 12/4, so I am very nervous for them to arrive... Hopefully the end of January... it does establish some confidence that they are shipping a replacement for the damaged cell... Hopefully that will be applicable to my order if any damage has occurred...

Are you going to compress before charging to 3.65?? I am, seems everyone charges and only compresses at assembly, but logically I would think even as individuals they should be compressed
I am not doing any compression.

Dont think of these cells as 270 or 280Ah - think useable capacity- probably around 250 Ah. Because we probably won’t set our chargers to 100% nor discharge to 0%.
So it’s about 250 useable.
That is a very good point. I have a sweet spot with my 8 cells and I get 248ah's by staying between the knees of my sweet spot. This is where the Delta is lower than .020 at the top and the bottom...so it's fairly conservative.

Yeah, my batts, agms, went downhill fast. I'm off grid, and it is rainy season here in Houston. I need to be able to store several days worth. A set @270 could last me up to 5 days being stingy, or 3 days running my desktop all night. I can refill about 200 per good day. I'm hoping to be able to buy two sets. Could really use a 2k stimulus. Been out of work since march, and online sales have dried up. Just about ready to order at least one set.
I'm in Colorado and our days are really short right now so I feel your solar pain

The sticker on the battery shows 280A so I will find out when I perform the capacity test.
The sticker comes from the reseller not the manufacturer. Many things the resellers say fall somewhere in between "optimistic" and misleading and many things they say are true. Best to go with either (1) what the manufacturer says (2) what your own testing or trusted third party testing confirms.

Lishen produces a 272Ah cell not a 280Ah cell. Some may test near or over 280Ah some may not. To use an imperfect analogy, this is similar to your gas tank not actually being empty when the gas light comes on, many manufacturers intentionally overshoot/underrate to give a little tolerance (for various reasons, one of which is that capacity decreases somewhat steeply in the first couple hundred cycles).

Last edited:
Interesting... what are your reason for electing this path? Curious and not judging, I have no working knowledge, just curious
I watch many batteries teardown and so far I do not see compressing being applied per manfacturer spec, and also if my cell last 6 ~ 8 years then by that time we will more likely to have new tech for batteries by then, so I am not going to do any compressions, just going to strap them together with tapes and use it.

Last edited:
Back