diy solar

diy solar

Shenzhen Basen review

Thorium

Summary: Lucked out on Quality. Slow to ship due to stock issues.

Experience:
- ordered April 4: $484 out the door for (4) Eve 280ah
- they contacted me April 15 asking to change cells to CATL 271ah
- I missed that communication and never responded to them until weeks later after seeing they had marked order as shipped. I think not responding worked in my favor because they sent the original Eve cells from a newer batch they must have been waiting on from Eve
- April 19: they marked it shipped, just within then15 day Alibaba shipping agreement time…
- May 12: the shipment was actually picked up by logistics company / first logistics tracking entry… so 5 weeks to ship from order — this is the only negative I can mention
- I think they were just marking shipped on April 19 so Alibaba would keep their “ship on time” metric high…
- communication was good throughout
- cells received Monday, July 12, so over 3 months total but about 2 months after they were actually shipped, all hardware etc was included

The Cells:
- they were Eve LF280K variant. They have laser welded 6mm studs instead of the threaded terminal.
- packed well, no damage, other than very slight flaws in the shrink wrap (which could just be normal from the factory) they looked brand new to me
- most important they appear very well matched and meet/exceed capacity
- top balanced to 3.65v and then wired in series with an overkill/JBD BMS, and look how low the voltage delta is at high SOC! Excellent!
- over this past week the biggest voltage delta is about 5 mv
- overall very happy with the cells, didn’t expect so well matched, appear grade A to my untrained eye, and didn’t expect the newish Eve version with laser welded studs so these exceeded my expectations

After I ordered, Basen increased the price substantially on these Eve cells, I assume they had a higher cost from Eve when they were switching over to this stock around April/may (many people have reported Basen reaching out to them to change from Eve to another cell like they tried with me). So I think I lucked out ans got the new now higher priced Eve cells at the lower cost just by timing luck and not responding to them luck.
So I since ordered 16 Eve 280ah from Amy/Luyuan to build a 48v system.

E775C289-00FC-48C4-BA1E-35D51E50F095.png

I think luck & and an angel on your shoulder took care of you, always good to hear positive things.
Have fun & enjoy

- they were Eve LF280K variant. They have laser welded 6mm studs instead of the threaded terminal.
That's most likely the latest varient. The date of the Version B spec sheet for these cells is March 23, 2021.

- over this past week the biggest voltage delta is about 5 mv
That has to be the best delta I have seen at the top of the charge for non capacity matched cells. I would be interested to see the delta at the bottom when you discharge it. It should be better than most we have seen around here.

I will post the spec sheet for these cells in case anyone is interested in reading it.

Attachments

• LF280K (3 2V 280Ah) Product Specification(Version B).pdf
    980.2 KB · Views: 56
You got lucky, Basen, specifically ALex Chen has screwed many people over including bad cells in large orders. My advice is to always pay with credit card and keep orders under 16 cells. There is not much saving on a large order only more headache/risk.

I know of an order with about 200 cells, out of 40 were bad cells that had capacity issues, would not charge to full voltage, or had physical damage. Since they paid with bank they were out of luck.

Another person was able to get his money back from Master card but had to ship the cells to a warehouse in California, he actually simply sent the cells back form the address they were sent to and sent this info to the card company, Basen wanted it returned to China. I think that is a good tactic to employ, send it back to the California shipping location!

Thorium, Who is you rep at Basen?
I have good experience with Basen on my first Alibaba order last November..

I just had an email from Emily saying they have new Eve cells in , A+ grade apparently .....

Good news, we just got a new that We expect a batch of EVE 280AH to arrive by the end of the month, price is US$99.
EVE 280AH:US$99--Arrive in end of July
EVE 304AH:US$115--Arrive in end of July

EVE 280AH A+:US$120(recommend)
CATL 302AH A+:US$120
EVE

Good news, Mid-Year Promotion
Order more than $1,000.00, $10.00 OFF
Order more than $2,000.00, $20.00 OFF
Order more than $3,000.00, $30.00 OFF
Order more than $5,000.00, $50.00 OFF

Yeah I know I got lucky. I ordered when seeing some good reviews and getting into solar backup build research after Texas February snowmaggedon. Then noticed a lot of bad reviews later when doing more research… I’m not trying to steer people to Basen.

I ordered 16 cells from Amy (Luyuan) myself after these, and reputation (a pattern of good quality) is pretty important. We all know vast majority of vendors = playing the Alibaba cell lottery, I just won this round.

The ones I got from Basen are the ones they’re selling for $120 now which is basically same price as Amy, so why not play the you win 98% of the time lottery with Amy at that price.

Here’s an example barcode. I tried searching but it looks like we don’t know how to decode the three character date code?
Last 3 digits of serial redacted to satisfy my paranoia quota.

0CC16AC7-8D48-4442-AF07-8D87FE634895.jpeg

FYI - my order for the Eve 280's was on the same ship and i as well was quite surprised. Cells looked brand new, had welded studs which looked perfect and are perfectly matched and measure to 280. With all this said next time i would go with Amy. The communication with Alex was extremely poor and the advertisement i bought the cells from was misleading as it appeared for the price premium ($570 at the time) the cells were coming from the USA.

As i continued to monitor that ad for a few weeks after purchase i saw it going over $800 for 4 cells. Wow i would have been sick if i had fallen for it at $800.

See original thread here - https://diysolarforum.com/threads/basen-batteries-shipped-from-usa.21576/

That's most likely the latest varient. The date of the Version B spec sheet for these cells is March 23, 2021.

That has to be the best delta I have seen at the top of the charge for non capacity matched cells. I would be interested to see the delta at the bottom when you discharge it. It should be better than most we have seen around here.

I will post the spec sheet for these cells in case anyone is interested in reading it.

Thanks for the data sheet.

Ive only taken it down to 10% (~12V) but max cell voltage delta has been about the same. It’s at 12.4V right now with a max delta of 4mv.

During actual use (typically 0.1C / 30 amp 12V load), as I’ve watched it over the past week, max delta has generally been between 5-10 mv.

I just bought 16pcs EVE280Ah from Dongguan Lightning, they told me it was LF280N, and they said they have the original EVE test report, I watched their video and the test video provided to me, I am very satisfied, so I trust them

I just had an email from Emily saying they have new Eve cells in , A+ grade apparently .....

Good news, we just got a new that We expect a batch of EVE 280AH to arrive by the end of the month, price is US$99.
EVE 280AH:US$99--Arrive in end of July
EVE 304AH:US$115--Arrive in end of July

EVE 280AH A+:US$120(recommend)
CATL 302AH A+:US$120
EVE

Good news, Mid-Year Promotion
Order more than $1,000.00, $10.00 OFF
Order more than $2,000.00, $20.00 OFF
Order more than $3,000.00, $30.00 OFF
Order more than $5,000.00, $50.00 OFF
Unless they come with factory test reports, they are not grade A, every vendor tells you grade A. Sometimes the "grade A" are used and even bloated.

Bulk cells are a great value. The vendor really counts for bulk cells.

What Just John, Myself and others are calling "the report" looks like this, not some video with a handheld Yoarea YR1035+ cell tester.
anything short of a test report such as this is really quite worthless. NOTE THESE ARE Genuine Grade direct from Factory not from brokers, dealers in the Grey Market.

1625335004479-png.54918

I just bought 16pcs EVE280Ah from Dongguan Lightning, they told me it was LF280N, and they said they have the original EVE test report, I watched their video and the test video provided to me, I am very satisfied, so I trust them
Yes, if the video is just them using a meter to measure cell voltages and IR, it's not really a test.
As Steve posted above, Eve will send a test report for the batch of cells (including serial numbers) that Eve has used to match the cells.

Bulk cells are a great value, you get more storage for your money, but a video of them touching the cells with a meter is not a "test".

Yes, if the video is just them using a meter to measure cell voltages and IR, it's not really a test.
As Steve posted above, Eve will send a test report for the batch of cells (including serial numbers) that Eve has used to match the cells.

Bulk cells are a great value, you get more storage for your money, but a video of them touching the cells with a meter is not a "test"
Yes they show me the EVE test report . I saw that almost all batteries have a capacity of about 290Ah and Hayley told me that was EVE LF280N model .

Yes they show me the EVE test report . I saw that almost all batteries have a capacity of about 290Ah and Hayley told me that was EVE LF280N model .
I don't know, I'd check that report closely.
Shenzhen Basen has a lot of reviews, and they aren't all exactly good.

How much did you pay?

Ah, now I understand, they just came out with the LF280K model. That explains why alternate or grey market vendors suddenly have the the N version. Per Eve datasheet, any cell older than 5 months after manufacture date is no longer "grade A". But Eve also says only the first 5 cycles will give you the guaranteed capacity.

Slightly different cell size now. "LF280K is 3-4 mm higher"

Back