diy solar

diy solar

Shenzhen Basen vs Shenzen Luyuan Lifepo4?

Nikg736

Brand new member here. Looking to do a simple solar power system for a camper van conversion, and the storage for that I am thinking 280ah because the cells look to be the best bang for buck. I will build my own battery out of cells. I have read through a lot of threads and it is getting a bit much, so just a few simple questions. I've come across Shenzhen Basen and Shenzhen Luyuan mentioned a lot for batteries, but also Xuba? I see somebody called Amy mentioned a lot also. Appears to be at Luyuan, but also at Xuba? Like I said...confused at this point. So...

1- Since this is a van project and not solar for my home, do I need to worry about getting matched cells? Or for the added price it is still just worth it anyway.
2- Is Luyuan still the "best deal" for a set of 4 matched 280ah lifepo4 cells? Reputable, reliable and price.
3- I am getting some used panels locally, but will need BMS and maybe 1000-1500w pure sine inverter. Any suggestions for these from Ali Express? I haven't really done research for those components on Ali, but if batteries are half price of domestic I figure most other stuff is probably half price as well.
4- I read a few threads that said production shut down again because of Covid. Anybody having problems getting stuff?

I am not really in a particular rush to get this stuff, so waiting 2-4 months for me is fine.
Thanks
Nik

Amy Wan & XUBA parted ways quite a while back 2020. Amy & her Husband own Luyuan and they deal directly with Factories, no brokers or middlemen. Luyuan is a Known Good and Well Trusted vendor who has supplied MANY of us without issues.

Develop your plan and work out what you want to build & do. For battery packs, cells, BMS, Active Balancer etc if everything can be bought from one vendor, it costs less to ship because less paperwork and packaging so it saves bucks.

Systems should be designed not to exceed 250A draw from batteries;
12V@250A=3000W (120V/25A AC),
24V@250A=6000W (120V/50A AC),
48V@250A=12,000W (120V/100A AC)
Divide the Amps by 2 for 240VAC Split Phase (North America).

MOST IMPORTANT RULES !
Make a Plan, refine it and work it out and THEN start buying things and coordinate them. A Failure to Plan, IS a Plan to Fail ! and cost you a heap in the process. There are no "Once in a LifeTime Deals" as there are always deals to be had... Patience is CRITICAL ! This is NOT an "Instant Satisfaction" process, don't even dream of it. Take your time, ask Questions, "The Only stupid Question is the one Not Asked !"

(Fully Matched)--Genuine Grade A
These cells are properly tested & matched at the factory which is a test cycle of charge/discharge measuring IR at various voltages which produces a report which is used to validate & sort the cells according to the determining specs. These also usually test out at 10%+ above label rating. A report of the test results are made available with cell serial # and values.

(Bulk, Voltage & IR Matched only)
These are NOT factory matched or batched, they are typical "grade edge case" cells meaning they did not qualify fully. They may have full AH capacity but not being fully matched the cells will deviate during charge/discharge which will prevent attaining full capacity. These are only voltage matched at their standing storage voltage as well as the IR (Internal Resistance) which fluctuates during use.

NOTE> Luyuan uses Factory Sourced cells only. Most small vendors use cell brokers which can be selling odds & sods, new old stock, blems or repacked B+ cells etc... "the grey market"

The only way to get any accurate quote from any vendor is to open a Chat/Messenger session and provide them with the destination address. The shipping guesstimator is woefully off-kilter, partly because the entire shipping sector is upsidedown and costs are fluctuating like mad. It can actually change within one day. And sadly it's also terribly slowed up and everyone is suffering that.

Hope it helps, Good Luck and have fun!

If you order now, the usual time is around 60 days. Cheapest is not usually the best. Take your time and research. The are lots of Shenzhen xyx companies shipping cells. I have had luck with Shenzhen Jidian. Others with Amy, others with Basen, and many with Michael Caro's group buy. Make sure to include busbars. M6 or M8 terminals. If they are drilled, you can add your own grub screws later.

How does the group buy work? Cheaper than Luyuan? At this point I am thinking just go with the matched sets from Luyuan...why screw around with all the hassle and unknowns to save $100?
Comments?

Also, I didnt see any BMS or inverters from Luyuan...only saw cells. Do they sell the other components. If not then anybody got a reliable source for BMS and inverter to reduce shipping costs?

Also, I didnt see any BMS or inverters from Luyuan...only saw cells. Do they sell the other components. If not then anybody got a reliable source for BMS and inverter to reduce shipping costs?
Amy sells Chargery & JBD BMS' (partially listed). She is working on a few things before updating the site, negotiations to carry certain product lines take time. IF you have a specific model (part number & Link to product) she "MAY" be able to source it and ship it.

Inverters, SCC's and such are another matter to do. Amy is focussing more on Battery Related and over time her product listings will increase to support that.

Ok. That’s just the thing… I don’t really know what BMS specifically to look for. Any advice? Again, this is a system for a camper van to periodically run a mini fridge, microwave and coffee maker (15 mins a day) but not all at the same time. I am not running a system for my house nor do I anticipate really heavy loads put on this system.
In another forum people recommended checking out Will Prouse. Are his reviews reputable? Anybody else worth checking their videos or websites?

Ok. That’s just the thing… I don’t really know what BMS specifically to look for. Any advice? Again, this is a system for a camper van to periodically run a mini fridge, microwave and coffee maker (15 mins a day) but not all at the same time. I am not running a system for my house nor do I anticipate really heavy loads put on this system.
In another forum people recommended checking out Will Prouse. Are his reviews reputable? Anybody else worth checking their videos or websites?
Will prowse is the man

So...Will is a scammer then :)
JK. I didn't realize this was his forum. I guess I just didnt pay close enough attention.
That brings up a new question then...I watched a video where he links to source for 280ah cells and 4 of them are like $460. But they are sold as Varicore cells. Any feedback on those? Are they just rebranded EVE or LISHEN? And I am assuming that set of four is not matched. Not sure if grade A. But...if they are good cells and at least grade A then would seem to be a bargain. I think the video has the title "cheaper than lead acid" or something like that if I am thinkin of the right one.

How does the group buy work? Cheaper than Luyuan? At this point I am thinking just go with the matched sets from Luyuan...why screw around with all the hassle and unknowns to save $100?
That's what I would do. At this point in time I am not comfortable recommending the group buy even though your savings would be in excess of $100.00. The best option above all others, IMO, would be to order directly from EVE. Their prices have come down. As always with any supplier ask lots of questions, including if ordering directly from the manufacturer.

I chose to try Basen to domestically buy some EVE cells to avoid shipping across the pond. Will arrive in 3 days so I am anxious to see how this batch is. Also bought another BMS straight from DALY and DHL has it.

Advice to order directly from EVE or Daly… I don’t even know how to go about doing that. Also, to my understanding, this is why Amy and others exist. They buy in bulk then match and re-sell. I’m fine with that. I don’t think the manufacturer wants to sell 4 pieces at a time. I’m thinking they are looking for minimum 1000 piece or 5000 piece orders, maybe more.

They buy in bulk then match and re-sell. I’m fine with that. I don’t think the manufacturer wants to sell 4 pieces at a time. I’m thinking they are looking for minimum 1000 piece or 5000 piece orders, maybe more.
That used to be the case but I don't think it is now. You can contact EVE for pricing by going to their Alibaba page. Don't mention any other supplier when contacting them. A few things to ask:

1: Are the cells capacity matched and will you provide the test data?

2: Do the cells come with laser welded studs and if not how much extra will that cost?

3: Cost of shipping?

4: Warranty and what do you do in the event a cell does meet up to specs during the warranty period.

Then compare to what Amy is offering and make your decision. Now that we can get cells capacity matched with test data, and laser welded studs, it's the best way to go IMO. Having said that I have the utmost respect for Amy and would consider her to be a great supplier. I have never ordered from her but watched what she did when she was with Xuba and I liked the way she handled things then, and I like the way she handles things now that she has her own company.

Also there is no reason to buy a BMS from the same supplier selling cells other than maybe convenience. Just because a good supplier isn't selling BMS's should not deter you from ordering cells from them. I don't use a Daly BMS so I can't comment on that. But I will say buying capacity matched cells can relieve headaches. My BMS will cut off before my inverter because my cells are not capacity matched. It should be the other way around.

Basen or Luyuan are a moot point now that EVE is selling direct and has $109 LF280K cells this is cheaper than either of them plus you are getting it directly form the manufacturer.

for an extra $1.00 they will get them stud welded for you.

I would not be paying more than $135.00 shipped for the LF280K/cell or $540.00 for a set of them shipped.

Basen or Luyuan are a moot point now that EVE is selling direct and has $109 LF280K cells this is cheaper than either of them plus you are getting it directly form the manufacturer.

for an extra $1.00 they will get them stud welded for you.

I would not be paying more than $135.00 shipped for the LF280K/cell or $540.00 for a set of them shipped.
Basen is not moot if you can get batteries domestically. Some will pay more to get them in 2 weeks vs months

Where is Basen selling domestically, where? everytime one of these Chinese sellers claim they have a USA warehouse; when you are about to place an order they bait and switch you and tell you they are going to come from CHINA or you can wait 2-3 months and then ship from USA, but if you order form China only 2 months.

Back