diy solar

diy solar

Shipping (dimensions?) to Alaska.. may be too expensive- Docan

Hunky

I'm looking into shipping to an isolated area in Alaska only served by cargo jet or barge. I need the dimensions of the shipping box and weight. I have a sailboat and looking at maybe starting with just 4 cells of Eve 280 amp. I'm not sure if 4 cells come in one box or two.. but need this info for a quote, along with sizes and weight. I've become frustrated at googling.. maybe my skills at search are lacking.

I would probably have the batteries shipped by the dealer to Seattle-Tacoma barge company dock.

I inquired about air cargo and at Alaska Air cargo got info that sounded like it could be up to $400 shipping.. though perhaps less. Batteries in that case need to be 30% at discharge and the guy I talked to made it sound like packed in a metal case.

I'll probably end up with a lead battery (due to shipping costs) but would like to figure that out. I could downsize my amperage as well for cheaper.. but 280 is a start point. thanks, JD

Last edited:
Docan ships 4 cells per box. Amy ships 2 cells per box. Weight with packaging roughly 12.5lbs/cell. Docan box 10x14x17.5" Amy's still in the mail for me

Docan ships 4 cells per box. Amy ships 2 cells per box. Weight with packaging roughly 12.5lbs/cell. Docan box 10x14x17.5" Amy's still in the mail for me
Docan ships two cells to a box, on both of my orders from the Texas warehouse. Box dimensions are 9.5”x9.5”x14” and weight is listed as 26# on the UPS label.

Attachments

• E8A3C795-E5B1-4412-835A-D26DF5292150.jpeg
    E8A3C795-E5B1-4412-835A-D26DF5292150.jpeg
    123 KB · Views: 5
  • 18C51CF2-AE65-4B5D-AD69-78363D10F6B0.jpeg
    18C51CF2-AE65-4B5D-AD69-78363D10F6B0.jpeg
    76.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 1FF0007A-3FC0-4254-888F-752A65051A23.jpeg
    1FF0007A-3FC0-4254-888F-752A65051A23.jpeg
    62.5 KB · Views: 5
Thank you very much Darga89. I'll pass that along. I have reached out through Amy's email and hope to hear from her for exact specs. But maybe your info will do. Thanks again.

Docan ships two cells to a box, on both of my orders from the Texas warehouse. Box dimensions are 9.5”x9.5”x14” and weight is listed as 26# on the UPS label.
Thanks S Davis! Good info.. I'll pass it to the barge company.

Just got back the quote in case anyone is interested. I did pass on the info provided here by the above folks but the quote has my earlier estimates of 46 lbs and one smaller box. Anyway, looks like the bill for that is $277.85 and with 2 boxes and another 6 lbs. may be closer to $300. I'll have to think long and hard if I chose to spend that or buy lead batteries. The boat is a catamaran that I took pains and expense to keep the weight off it.. so putting lead batteries in is not a pleasant thought with a lithium alternative. Thanks for the help! /jd

PS: shipping is to Nome Ak.

Interesting! Guess the difference is mine were direct from China

I received an email from Amy at Docan and it sounds like the ship both ways. She implied that if they ship 2 cells to a box, they might be able to ship to Alaska. The actual quote was "If you need 4cells pack in one box, then we only can ship from China to WA". Perhaps she meant they can't ship from Houston with 4 cells in a box.. I asked for clarification and will let you know if interested the response.

I received an email from Amy at Docan and it sounds like the ship both ways. She implied that if they ship 2 cells to a box, they might be able to ship to Alaska. The actual quote was "If you need 4cells pack in one box, then we only can ship from China to WA". Perhaps she meant they can't ship from Houston with 4 cells in a box.. I asked for clarification and will let you know if interested the response.
I've tried to get shipping straight to AK with no success from any of the vendors, including Docan. Be interested to see how this pans out.

The 230ah's are 4 to a box, that's all I'm familiar with. Nome, now that's out there :LOL:

I've tried to get shipping straight to AK with no success from any of the vendors, including Docan. Be interested to see how this pans out.

The 230ah's are 4 to a box, that's all I'm familiar with. Nome, now that's out there :LOL:
Ok, Amy is looking into shipping to Alaska but I won't get my hopes up. We are out there alright.. we're closer to Russia than we are to Anchorage. Also west of Hawaii. Were you ever able to get your hands on any batteries or give it up?

I got 80 of the 230ah's from Docan. First 32 came from the Houston Warehouse, second batch of 48 were straight from China. Both shipments went to WA. We use Alaska Traffic Company for the WA to AK.

It seems, at one time, they could come to the port in Anchorage but currently don't. That's just what I read between the lines from the cryptic msg's. I finally gave up on direct to AK and settled for the extra expense of the WA to AK.

I got 80 of the 230ah's from Docan. First 32 came from the Houston Warehouse, second batch of 48 were straight from China. Both shipments went to WA. We use Alaska Traffic Company for the WA to AK.

It seems, at one time, they could come to the port in Anchorage but currently don't. That's just what I read between the lines from the cryptic msg's. I finally gave up on direct to AK and settled for the extra expense of the WA to AK.
Thanks for that - I am not aware of Alaska Traffic Company, will give em a lookup. Been dealing with Alaska Marine Lines, who does port in Anchorage. Maybe $300 in shipping wouldn't be that bad since I was just pricing decent AGMs and Gels and for similar usable AmpHours, and with shipping.. prices are not that far off.

We've been using Alaska Traffic for many years for our business shipping and they have been reliable and nice folks to work with.

I hope it works out with the LiFePO4's. My experience is with stationary installations. Wish I knew more about the logistics to Nome but I'm just outside Anchorage and that's all I know.

Back