diy solar

diy solar

Shipping LIFEPO4 cells - Which carrier?

sshibly

Solar Enthusiast
I wanted to send 4 lifepo4 topband cells to my buddy in AZ.
Any suggestions on carrier I should use? How should it be packaged?

Probably via a better packing method than the way you received them! :) Mine had no padding whatsoever.

Tape over the terminals to prevent inadvertent contact.

I would allow at least 1/2 inch padding between cells and 1" padding between cells and box.

Probably UPS or Fedex. USPS is pretty unreliable right now.

Make sure you include a UN3090 label and identify it as as hazmat material accordingly.

Probably via a better packing method than the way you received them! :) Mine had no padding whatsoever.

Tape over the terminals to prevent inadvertent contact.

I would allow at least 1/2 inch padding between cells and 1" padding between cells and box.

Probably UPS or Fedex. USPS is pretty unreliable right now.

Make sure you include a UN3090 label and identify it as as hazmat material accordingly.
lol, yeah, I thought about reusing the little box they used to send it to me,

UN3090 label, I am guessing UPS store will have it?

Thanks!

lol, yeah, I thought about reusing the little box they used to send it to me,

UN3090 label, I am guessing UPS store will have it?

Thanks!

Not sure, but you can find them online and print one yourself. There should have been one on the original packaging.

EDIT: LOL... just found my original box... UN3480. Use that. I missed that UN3090 are not rechargeable

It's a bit of a crap shoot. I would ask your buddy what carrier he prefers.
Well, it is a gift so, my buddy is not supposed to know.
I will check with UPS store on Monday, I got tied up with the honeyFePO4 list today.

I had the LFE (4) cells in one little box and rest of the stuff in another,

$44 to ship them from MI to NoCal.
The UPS guys said it will be cheaper to ship them in one box, and I could ship LFE cells and stuff in one box.
I said sure,
it ended up being $34

FYI: up to 4 cells can be shipped before ??? not sure I understand the req for additional cells.

I shipped one Lishen 272ah battery with UPS ground. When I was filling out the form, it asked if there were lithium batteries in the package and when I answered yes, it added around $6 to my charge. It was total of $26 to ship one battery from WI to MI. They didn't have me print up anything special and put on box...

Yeah, they had me sign.a piece of paper, I did not read it, just eyeballed the addresses

I wonder why they would charge extra if it was going by ground.

272 AH, wow, was it like 40lbs?

Mine was 12 lbs.

It was just one 3.2V 272Ah battery - weighed like 14lb all packed up in box it came in. I am not 100% sure there was extra charge, but UPS screen said $20 and then asked those questions and final bill came to $26ish....They probably just charge extra because they can...

Not trying to be a stickler but that’s one cell, 4 cells make up a 12v battery etc.

Yes, I understand that you can use multiple cells to make a battery. Its still a 3.2V 272ah single cell battery in my eyes.

Is a AA battery not a battery even though it is one cell?

Is a AA battery not a battery even though it is one cell?

Yes, technically that is a single cell battery. You are correct.

Since most folks here try to DIY a 12, 24 or 48v battery from 3.2v cells I was just trying to help clear up the common nomenclature.

I'll show myself out :cool:

Back