diy solar

diy solar

Shopping for a system for tiny home

Kero

I am now looking to rig up a system for my home in the mountains.
I need it mainly to charge phones, laptop and lighting. I won't be using a fridge or AC. But I will be working with power tools occasionally. All my power tools are below 800watts. I bought them so in order to be able to use with a small 800watt gasoline generator. And I may need a small water pump in the future. My place is facing south but I have mountains in to the east and west so I lose an hour of sunlight in the morning and another hour in the evening. I want to be able to connect the gas generator to the system to charge the battery when solar panels are not enough on overcast winter days. My generator has a 12v output. It produces 8 amperes. Should it be alright to connect it to the input of the charge regulator?

So this is what I ended up deciding to buy. I want to know if I am overlooking or exagerrating something.

Inverter: Pure sine 12v 1000w

Charge regulator: 50ah PVM

Panels: 2 X 270watt polycrystalline panels.

Battery: 200ah

Have you reviewed any of Will's blueprints to compare against your strategy?

Me personally, I would rather have MPPT charge controller and not PWM. And also, when you calculate your power tool consumption, don't forget to include surge power to start it up, motors draw lots more power to get them spinning, than once up to full speed, so you need to oversize based on surge load requirement.

Back