diy solar

diy solar

shortened my cells - how to check if damaged?

cmpct_cmpr

4 x 280 Ah LiFePo4 cells in serial, see image.

lifepo4.jpg

When screwing down cables to the main positive pole (cell 4), I let the wrench slip and it shortened cell 4... It was about 1 second, sparks, then the wrench fell down.
Sh**!

How can I test if the cell(s) took damage? How probable is this?

Thank you for your help!

If you didn't burn a spot on the terminal that might cause a connection problem .... and you didn't completely burn the end of the wrench off ... consider it a lesson learned.
Just continue testing the pack as normal.

Did anything metal go from solid to plasma?

Some people do that on purpose, for fun or in the name of science.

"Figure 13 shows the experimental set-up. 3 of the 4 NIF beams were used with a total of 6 kJ in 1.5 ns to drive a shock in a planar aluminum target. The drive beams were equipped with a CPP to produce the required flat-topped spot profile over 500 µm. 200 µm-scale holes of various geometries are implanted into the backside of the Al to promote corner jetting and subsequent break-out of a hydrodynamic Al jet into a foam reservoir. The relative alignment between drive beams and target was critical to produce symmetric jets; the measured rms shot-to-shot misalignment was 60 µm, better than the 100 µm requirement. In addition, shot-to-shot drive beam energy was repeatable to 4%, also better than the 7% requirement."

(Actually, they were studying hydrodyamics of propagating shock in aluminum. But the impulse to drive the shock was vaporization of aluminum on front side by laser.)

4 x 280 Ah LiFePo4 cells in serial, see image.

View attachment 40761

When screwing down cables to the main positive pole (cell 4), I let the wrench slip and it shortened cell 4... It was about 1 second, sparks, then the wrench fell down.
Sh**!

How can I test if the cell(s) took damage? How probable is this?

Thank you for your help!

I checked the thread because I wanted to understand how you managed to shorten your cells. There is another guy that sat on his and managed to cause a fire, but your cells didn’t really get ‘shortened’ at all, did they? (Though it sounds like your experience was pretty exciting and hopefully educational ;).

Oh, and if it wasn’t clear, if you’re ever thinking of sitting on your cells, don’t.

I watched a video a while back by "LithiumSolar" (a YouTuber), and he showed how he wrapped the handles of his wrenches with electrical tape to prevent this kind of stuff. Lesson learned; everyone should probably do that so only one end of the wrench is exposed if you drop it or bump the handle end into something.

I checked the thread because I wanted to understand how you managed to shorten your cells. There is another guy that sat on his and managed to cause a fire, but your cells didn’t really get ‘shortened’ at all, did they? (Though it sounds like your experience was pretty exciting and hopefully educational ;).

Oh, and if it wasn’t clear, if you’re ever thinking of sitting on your cells, don’t.
rain on my parade. This is what I wanted to do most, when I made my purchase.

Back