diy solar

diy solar

Should I be worried?

gmehal

After folling Will for some time I decided to pull the trigger on some Ali express cells. I received them and all look similar and voltages checked out great, all within 3.3-3.2v. I did however notice they have ill filtting stickers on the top so I of course pulled one up and the serial numbers are ground off but the terminals seem unused. What do you guys think?

I questioned it with them and the said they do that because they cannot sell them outside of china with the serial numbers so they ground them off to be able sell in the usa

to IMG_4301.JPGIMG_5523.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5595.JPG
    IMG_5595.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 7
I did however notice they have ill filtting stickers on the top so I of course pulled one up and the serial numbers are ground off but the terminals seem unused. What do you guys think?

I questioned it with them and the said they do that because they cannot sell them outside of china with the serial numbers so they ground them off to be able sell in the usa

The grind marks are where I would expect to see QR codes.
A missing QR code is big hint that these cells are not grade A.
If I paid for grade A cells and they didn't have QR codes I would be worried.

There is a QR code, its in the upper right on the grind marks photo, has some adhesive on it.

Screen Shot 2020-03-03 at 3.58.51 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-03 at 3.59.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-03 at 3.59.33 PM.png
    218.2 KB · Views: 22
But did you see the QR code in the upper corner? Should I scan it? what info does it usually reveal?

So the story about having to grind the serial numbers off is SORT OF TRUE BUT NO ONE FOLLOWS IT .... but they may still be Grade A ...

SOOO ... there is only one real option ... you need to run a Capacity test on these ....

YES -- GRADE A cells will have new Terminals and QR/BAR codes BUT with that said there is a host of things that could have happened during manufacturer where these Cells are still GRADE A BUT had the codes ground off ... several times they will reusue the top metal sheets and thats why they put the black cover over them ... seriously i have at least 10 things it could be -- BUT ...

YOU NEED TO DO A CAPACITY TEST ... thats the ONLY way you are going to know ... anything else is just guessing ...

ALSO -- and this is directed to everyone but the OP -- so OP -- spoiler alert but i am going to make you feel bad so don't read any further ...

BUT these same 190aH cells on average are going for right at $411 - $426 from several suppliers delivered ....

Has anyone else had any dealings or issues with BLS ...??

Last edited:
OK -- so I just texted one of the LFP battery company reps for a huge LFP manufacturer that I work with in China (and NO we are not all related) ...

The odds are is that BLS ran low on stock and went to another LiFePO4 producer down the street -- bought a batch of 190aH GRADE A batteries for $25 bucks each with NO WARRANTY -- turned around sold them to the OP for $100 each and the original seller to BLS took a grinder to the QR/serial number so if there was any issue when warranty that the OP would contact BLS and NOT him ...

apparently this happens quite a bit ...

SO - do a capacity test -- if it passes then I am right ....

FINALLY -- HE SAID THAT THOSE GRIND MARKS ARE PROBABLY MADE WHEN THEY REMOVED THE GLUE RESIDUE FROM THE FIRST COVER THAT WAS ON IT ... SO THE SECOND COVER WOULD LAY FLAT ...

Last edited:
S25 eh? Looks like we should buy and import a container full of LFP batteries and split them between people who want them ;-)

Amazing logical and detective work, GW!! Very impressed.

Mine that I ordered Jan 1, 2020 from the same seller, took 6.5 weeks to Henderson NV. Sorry, I'm not able to pull off the black cover. I checked them over carefully and they looked to be brand new. I see mine have a different vent. I remember a post some where that the older cells had the oblong vent????.....So far they seem to be doing what they are suppose to be doing with my limited testing. I'll be picking up a low temp. BMS tomorrow and building a more permanent setup in my truck camper. Here's what mine look like on top. Good luck I hope they test out fine.

Attachments

• DSC_3472.JPG
    DSC_3472.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 42
I ordered these same cells from BLS in Dec, They arrived about 2 months later... They have a QC sticker, and a Barcode in a little window next to the
nice clean terminals.... I'm just charging them up, and I'll do a capacity test...

20200304_202628.jpg

Can’t wait to see your reslults. I just ordered on of the fan based load testers Will talks about, arrives Friday so I’ll test then

Started a few hours ago so well see. Testing one cell currently. A bit bummed out though, after watching Will's video on this load tester seems like it dosent have a low voltage disconnect like he said. Seems like its just a buzzer and continues to discharge. Ill see how long I can stay awake LoLIMG_2708.jpeg

Back