diy solar

diy solar

Should I parallel SPF 5000

respite777

Hello all,

I’m currently using a 48V SPF 5000 paired with 120V transformer attached to 3.2kw of solar and 6kwh lithium.

It has worked flawlessly on doing some critical loads (lights, refrigerator and minisplit) especially with fires and the rolling blackouts we have had here in California.

My question is- We live on a 240V well and the inrush of the pump is 10KW and it looks like the Growatt is capable of 8KW. I’d like to add the pump to my offgrid panel so that we have water even when the grid goes offline. Looking for some insight.

Option 1: add another SPF 5000 and parallel the two for the added load

Option 2: sell the SPF 5000 and buy a low frequency inverter that can handle my needs.

Thanks for any and all input. I can provide whatever more details if need be.

From what I've been watching on YouTube, you should be able to parallel them and run everything. If I move, I might have to do the same thing as you are thinking. Here is a youtube video that might help you with your question. It is from DavidPoz (Will has referenced him a couple of times in his videos) Note that there is 4 videos to the series on the growatts 5000. here is the first one. Best Value Inverter, All-in-one MPPT Solar Charger, Growatt SPF5000ES, Part 1

Had the same issue. Duel Outback 3648 with a 3HP well pump (No booster, but only 100 feet down with water level at 25 feet, -1 feet in the winter). The Outbacks would start the pump, but it was a struggle for them, and a real issue with low battery.
Ultimate solution was to replace the pump with a 3 phase pump (just had to replace the motor), and use a cheap VFD to convert the split phase from the inverters to 3 phase of the pump. The huge benefit to this, is I set the VFD to a slow start. As in it takes 8 seconds to spin up to speed. Startup surge went away completely. No more power surges. No flickering lights. We even set the pump to run slightly slower as the water output did not drop much, but the power used dropped down 20%.

All good suggestions. I need to look at it from a financial perspective. My pump is healthy and we haven’t had any issues with it thus far. If it acts up, and I was forced to replace it then id consider a 3 phase motor with a VFD.

Ive been happy with the Growatt in both price and performance. I think now it comes down to adding a SPF 5000 for 900 bucks or selling my existing and buying the 6000 watt low frequency growatt. Any experience with the DVM growatts?

Thanks

Back